Feature Requests / to-dos

Information about GMAO - the application I (write and) use to translate manga.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Feature Requests / to-dos

Post by FuguTabetai »

These are pulled from from previous discussion:

- to add more than one page at a time, e.g. to add all the pages belonging to the same chapter in only one operation, with a file multi-select.

- if the color picker could be applied also to the background and outline colors, in addition to the text color.

- if the color chosers were re-initialised to the current color of the colored item, and not to the last value they had. For example, if I click on background to set its color to blue, then click on outline to set its color to red, then click again on background, the color choser is still red: I would like to find it blue.

* (done) if the settings of GMAO could be saved into some kind of 'project' file, and in particular the path of the XML file, the path where to save the generated images, etc. This way, it would be simpler to swap from one translation project to the other.

-This is about the new "gradient" color choser: it would be nice if I could select the starting color with the color picker (e.g. as the foreground color), then the ending color with the color picker too (e.g. as the background color), rather than defining both colors with only the color choser dialogs.

- Also, about the color picker, it would be nice to have two flavors of it: a "pixel-wide" color picker (what it currently does), and also a "small-region-wide" color picker: for the latter, it would select the mean color of a small area around the cursor. This would be useful for black/white mangas using "frames" for greyed zones: the mean grey value is given by the density of black points on a white area, making it difficult to get the mean grey color with only a "pixel-wide" color choser.

* (done) Log in and remember login on re-boot

* (done) Option to remove Vanity string

* (done, some bugs) Type directly onto new bubble setting a default character and language

- (fixed) Dynamically resize option on character options is not honored (always dynamically resizes)

There are from trado's previous post:

Ok, I verified the bugs I was having and compiled my requests for the next version. Sorry they came out kind of condescending, couldn't figure out a good way to word them, and I wanted them to be as concise as possible. So if you just go down the list as your time permits and add them, that'd be great, if some aren't too complicated to implement and if they don't conflict with your workflow.

The primary section is really the main one, and they just deal with appearance, which IMO, besides a few bugs, is the only thing photoshop has on your program right now, in terms of manga editing. It definitely seems to have saved me time/consolidated my workflow since I usually have to translate and edit. If I find any more bugs or requests, I'll just edit this post so you don't have to go looking for them, and just whenever you have time to do them. If you could nick off the primary ones sometime in a month since that's about when the chapters to be released began being edited with this program, I'd appreciate it, but if you're busy it's totally understandable. Uh... have fun? Shocked

Primary
* (done in 1.9.6.10) Fix the gutter option.
- Have the two dynamically resize by values on the font options tab apply to individual chars instead of globally if dynamically resize is checked.
- Render carriage returns as newlines in bubbles. (fugu comments: this will not happen unless I totally change the bubble drawing code)
* (Work-around: right click on the background image, select "Change Background" and browse to the changed file) Have an option to re-render the page by either right clicking the page on the file tree or the page itself, incase you made changes to the physical page and want to see them in GMAO without restarting the program.

Secondary
- In the style manager, ability to make a style without a bg/outline, or just have a opacity option for the bg/outline and one for the entire style.
- Add a box to the New page dialog that says what chapter it's going under, and have it fill it in, but incase you need to put a page in a past chapter or some other chapter, you can change the value and then have the program start putting new pagers after that in that chapter.
- Can you bring up that box that says what chap # the new chap will be and if it knows it, fill it in? Without going directly to the xml, you can't add a chapter before another one, and if you have multiple tslers on one project, and suddenly one becomes busy, it'd be nice to be able to do that so you can cover for them if they were scheduled to tsl a chapter that's before the one's you've done.
- Esc key or something so you can get out of autoPoly while it's drawing, and then have it delete the incomplete bubble.

Tertiary
- Some way to cancel a page from loading like the esc key, so you can get out of the animation if the loading chokes.
- If this doesn't mess up your flow, have the current char style carry over to the new bubble you make. Especially for me, where I use normal, bold ect for char names, multiple bubbles in succession use the same char name.
- Ability to clear a bubble of styles/changes so the default char option can be applied properly or so you can restyle it.
- Option to make text vertical, ie. one char per line.
- Copy and paste bubbles so for example you can have the same dimensions/styles on two boxes if they're next to each other so it looks nice.
- Have gutter option apply to each char style instead of globally.
- When you do new page, have it load it automatically so you don't have to go through the tree every time.

Quaternary
- Have the Alt+B shortcut work even if you have a translation box open, if it's possible.
- Load page at the top, instead of the bottom.
* (workaround: use File->Export Page Range and enter the chapter start + end page numbers) Option to export a set of pages by chapter as well? Little bit lazy of me, but also kind of cool, if you go like "EXPORT THIS CHAPTER PROGRAM, I COMMAND IT!!" and bam it does it. Surprised
- Have it check if a page has the next number after the number it's looking for, and then reflect it in the name in the tree list. So like akumetsu_v03_012-013.jpg it'll just be Page 12-13 kind of thing. Doesn't really choke as it is, but if you wanted to have your program support more situations.

Errors/ Bugs
- When you move a polygon shape and save, it doesn't save the polygons new point positions, so you end up with a bubble that has no dimensions and the program chokes next time you try to load the page after a program exit. But if you move a specific point, and save, it puts the dimensions back in the polygon. This bug is apparent in both autopoly and polygon bubbles. (fugu comments: I have not seen this bug, but will look into it)

- When you make a project in the project manager, and close the program, when you start it up again, the new project seems to be taking the name of one of the projects further up on the list. I'm not sure exactly what the bug is but, when I had three projects, the third project took the second project's name. When I added a fifth project, it took the third project's name. And it shows this in the props file, so it may be that the name thing is happening when you create the project in the props file or when the program exits and saves the props file, depending how the codes set up. I changed the name in the prop file after closing the program and since then it doesn't change, so I think the bugs in the project creation code.
*Edit : One of the projects changed names to the one above it so I really don't know what's happening, just that there seems to be some kinding bug.

- When you load a project from the project manager, it loads the trans xml file, but doesn't change any of the options (Raw location, xml location, export dir, image export type) in the "File/data" tab. Looks like all the other tabs load the data correctly, cept the font style tab. (fugu comments: yeah, I've seen this too. I actually use the Project Manager, load a project, Quit GMAO, then start it again and it picks up the changes. Kind of hacky, so I will try to fix it.)

- Some of the values for the chars in font options aren't loading correctly when you open the program to work on your current project. Sometimes the font, the size and usually whether dynamically resize is checked/unchecked don't stay to what I set them as but I can't tell what the precise bug is.

-One of my bubbles ended up with an empty <FontInformation> and the program choked and wouldn't load the page and just sat there. Have it put some random points in there so you can fix the bubble?

-The stop button on the autoPoly doesn't seem to work for me when its' drawing.
Last edited by FuguTabetai on Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Re: Feature Requests / to-dos

Post by FuguTabetai »

FuguTabetai wrote: * Option to remove Vanity string
Set vanity height to 0 and it will not draw the vanity string anymore.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

FuguTabetai wrote: * Log in and remember login on re-boot

* Type directly onto new bubble setting a default character and language
Done and done. More or less. In version 1.9.3.
trado
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by trado »

Is http://fugutabetai.com/software/GMAO/code/GMAO.jnlp always the link that has the updated program. Seems like the program page is a bit out of date that has that link so i don't know if that's still the right link. You've moved everything at least once to a different folder according to it.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

That is the correct one. Sometimes (almost always) you have to launch the program twice to get the update. On the first run, Java Web Start notices that the program has been changed, but does not download the new JARs. On the second run, it downloads the JARs.

Also, I've noticed a bug working with 1.9.3: after you enter text into a bubble, if you save using the save shortcut (Command-S) the text is replaced with just "s". Oops. I'll fix that soonish as well.
trado
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by trado »

I'm having stability issues. I was able to enter my first bubble fine, since then, I can't enter text mode without it freezing on me.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

trado wrote:I'm having stability issues. I was able to enter my first bubble fine, since then, I can't enter text mode without it freezing on me.
How does it freeze? Could you give me more details? Can the mouse still move? Do menu items work? If you use the "New Translation" dialogue box, does the freeze still happen?
trado
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by trado »

It doesn't freeze when I use the translation box.

The moment it freezes is right after I click to end a bubble and then click to start typing. It displays Default in the char name thingy and then it freezes the cursor and I can't use any menu's or anything.
trado
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by trado »

I just got another freeze. I had bubbles hidden by accident, and I put a new translation in the bubble I made. Then I unhide bubble, it let me go into text edit, and I started backspacing, but then when I hit delete, it froze.
trado
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by trado »

Hmm, I think i narrowed it down. When I have control points on, I made the bubble. When I double click and get the text cursor, or possible when I try to input text after that, it freezes.

Also, it seems only the bottom dynamically resize option in the option panel works, while the top one for each char doesn't. Also, it seems the bottom one applies to all.

Could you either make it so if you add a new character, it'll show up in options right after so you don't have to close and come back, or make the individual bubble font sizes work. I can't change the size of something on the fly, like a tsl note in the margin or something like that.

But I am liking this program the more I use it :)
trado
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by trado »

Also, for new translation box, I sometimes don't have a mouse over the bubble when I hit new translation, so it brings up a box that doesn't have any bubble to input to which depending on how I deal with it, can lead to the program freezing.

Perhaps make it so when you hit ctrl+n, that it'll direct it to the last bubble created, so you don't have to have your mouse over it and curb that error.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

trado wrote:Hmm, I think i narrowed it down. When I have control points on, I made the bubble. When I double click and get the text cursor, or possible when I try to input text after that, it freezes.
You should just click once on a bubble to start entering text. I don't know what would happen with a double click. I'll see if I can cause the machine to freeze on my Windows XP machine (I can't get it to do that on my Mac.)
trado wrote: Also, it seems only the bottom dynamically resize option in the option panel works, while the top one for each char doesn't. Also, it seems the bottom one applies to all.
I think you mean the "Font Options" panel, correct? The bottom "Dynamically resise Fonts" (hm, I misspelled resize) does apply to all characters. The per-character setting should work (I haven't checked that in ages) but I'll look into it.
trado wrote: Could you either make it so if you add a new character, it'll show up in options right after so you don't have to close and come back, or make the individual bubble font sizes work. I can't change the size of something on the fly, like a tsl note in the margin or something like that.
I'll look into it. It might be easy, or it might annoying hard, in which case I won't change anything.

If you are adding translation notes, you should try this:

Make your bubble as usual. Put in your text. Add a second (or third in my case since I type in the Japanese as well) translation. Start the translation with the text

Code: Select all

[Trans. Note]
then type in your translation note. So it would look like this:

Code: Select all

[Trans. Note] This is my translation note
That will add a superscript to the bubble, and at the bottom of the image in new space not on the image create the content of the translation (the translation note in this case.) You can set the font style and size, text and background color in the "Translator Notes" section of the Options. I like this method because it doesn't take up space on your image and mess the art up.
tardo wrote: Also, for new translation box, I sometimes don't have a mouse over the bubble when I hit new translation, so it brings up a box that doesn't have any bubble to input to which depending on how I deal with it, can lead to the program freezing.

Perhaps make it so when you hit ctrl+n, that it'll direct it to the last bubble created, so you don't have to have your mouse over it and curb that error.
I don't understand why the program keeps freezing on you. I have never seen tha behavior and there is no reason that it should do that. Hope I can duplicate this on my Windows machine (I almost never use GMAO on windows, so maybe things are different over there.)

The default behavior should be to add a translation to the last bubble that the mouse was over, although I don't know what would happen if there are no bubbles that the mouse has been over since the page was loaded. I'll look into it.
tardo wrote: But I am liking this program the more I use it :)
I'm glad you like it!
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Also, if you could run the "Java Console" and show any information from there when it freezes, that would be a huge help.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

I was unable to reproduce any freezing on a Windows XP machine. :(
trado
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by trado »

Yeah, same thing happens when I just single click and start typing. Last java error it gives is
"Got key event, but do not have a listening Textline!!"

I don't understand why the program keeps freezing on you. I have never seen tha behavior and there is no reason that it should do that. Hope I can duplicate this on my Windows machine (I almost never use GMAO on windows, so maybe things are different over there.)

The default behavior should be to add a translation to the last bubble that the mouse was over, although I don't know what would happen if there are no bubbles that the mouse has been over since the page was loaded. I'll look into it.

I just tried it and it worked fine, so it must be because of something else. I'll see if I can catch it when it happens, but basically, the way I know it has no bubble to input into is because the character box goes gray in the new translation box.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

trado wrote: I just tried it and it worked fine, so it must be because of something else. I'll see if I can catch it when it happens, but basically, the way I know it has no bubble to input into is because the character box goes gray in the new translation box.
The character box is gray because you can only change the character on the first translation. There should be in the upper-left of the dialog a "Note # 2" or something like that. So it is just adding a new note to the previous bubble...
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

FuguTabetai wrote: - Dynamically resize option on character options is not honored (always dynamically resizes)
Fixed, will be out in next release.

Also, added user options for setting transparency for bubble information (Character name, when the bubbles are in merging mode, etc.) This will also be out in the next release.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

FuguTabetai wrote: - if the settings of GMAO could be saved into some kind of 'project' file, and in particular the path of the XML file, the path where to save the generated images, etc. This way, it would be simpler to swap from one translation project to the other.
Done in 1.9.6. All settings (everything!) are saved in projects in the "Project Manager".
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

I need to work on the "project manager." When I tried to use it, it didn't properly load up the file and image location settings. In addition, I really need to add some code to re-load the files on a project change.

I need to also think about how to deal with the problem of the auto-polygon tool dying on little small sharp points - very common to indicate who is speaking.

One idea is to check if we can't move in any of the 8 directions, and then to pull the scout point back a few pixels towards the center of the existing bubble drawn so far. Would this work well?

Another idea is to move back one or two positions, and try to move forward again but keep the "we've been here" markers on the bitmap. That should prevent the scout point from getting into where it got stuck, and instead just detour around that area.

A tougher to implement idea would be to make a function to sample with four pixels instead of one pixel, and try to determine whether we got stuck on a real wall, or just on a strange single pixel anomaly.

I think the first idea, which uses information about the existing bubble shape, is a good idea for a first approach.

I also want to make it possible to let the user choose the next point if things get stuck, then continue on with the automatic process. The problem with that is that it requires some sort of GUI intervention and guidance...

Anyway, I'll work on this over the next two weeks or so. So far though, I've had pretty good luck. About 75% of the bubbles work with the autoPolygon tool, although I do choose to start the search under those speech bubble pointy things.
trado
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by trado »

Maybe I'm not understanding but for the redirect thing, couldn't you just pop up a dialog after it assumes that it's stuck, go back one point, telling the user to click past to point it's stuck, and then it'll go from there?

Or is that what you meant by GUI intervention?
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

trado wrote:Maybe I'm not understanding but for the redirect thing, couldn't you just pop up a dialog after it assumes that it's stuck, go back one point, telling the user to click past to point it's stuck, and then it'll go from there?

Or is that what you meant by GUI intervention?
Yes, that is what I mean by GUI intervention. I also have to do some work on the underlaying code because I didn't have it set up to PAUSE, wait for some external indication of where to go, and RESUME. I'll get around to it maybe over the weekend, since it isn't really all that hard, just an hour or two maybe.

There are some automatic approaches that I want to work on too, but I'll go with the guidance approach first since that is easiest.
trado
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by trado »

Could you make new bubbles have clear backs till they get something in them? I have somewhat of a bad shorterm memory.....
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

trado wrote:Could you make new bubbles have clear backs till they get something in them? I have somewhat of a bad shorterm memory.....
You mean be transparent (to some degree anyway, perhaps specifiable) until there is text in them? That should be easy enough.

Generally though, as a work-flow issue, I use alt-b to quickly toggle all bubbles on and off. When translating, I toggle bubbles off, then type in the text (using a new window, control-n) then toggle bubbles back on.

I don't think it would be possible to have bubbles with no text be clear when doing direct text entry though - once you put in one character, it will draw the bubble in. So if you want to be able to see under a bubble while you are typing in it, I don't think that is possible without major code changes (like, a background timer thread looking to see how much time has elapsed since a character was entered or something. I wouldn't want to have to implement something like that.)
trado
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by trado »

FuguTabetai wrote:
trado wrote:Could you make new bubbles have clear backs till they get something in them? I have somewhat of a bad shorterm memory.....
You mean be transparent (to some degree anyway, perhaps specifiable) until there is text in them? That should be easy enough.

Generally though, as a work-flow issue, I use alt-b to quickly toggle all bubbles on and off. When translating, I toggle bubbles off, then type in the text (using a new window, control-n) then toggle bubbles back on.

I don't think it would be possible to have bubbles with no text be clear when doing direct text entry though - once you put in one character, it will draw the bubble in. So if you want to be able to see under a bubble while you are typing in it, I don't think that is possible without major code changes (like, a background timer thread looking to see how much time has elapsed since a character was entered or something. I wouldn't want to have to implement something like that.)
Oh I've been just doing the make a bubble, ctrl+n thing since I couldn't figure out why the direct text entry was so buggy for me. Maybe I should try to figure that out since I have some time. And I'll try the alt+b thing.

I'll see if I can come up with something on the tail thing, I have a few ideas, but they keep becoming useless as I try them out with different tail bubbles.

Your explination is a bit over my head, so why do you think it's having a problem with the tail bubbles? It seems like if it checks all directions it can go, it shouldn't have a problem.

And is there a way to increase the space between lines? Image

Some of these with the bold are a bit too close and kind of hard to read.
trado
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by trado »

Yeah, it's somewhat annoying having to alt+b, ctrl+n, click on the program window (Since the autopolygon box is what's selected after it's closed) and then hit alt+b. (Wow, I'm really lazy, though I blame hentai kamen's amount of bubbles.

Thinking ahead for when I have to go through my stuff and change wording and possible mistranslated bubbles, could you just hide the bubble's bg and whatever's in the bubble when you open the bubble insertion box for a specific bubble, since whatever words there are are already in the text insertion box, and that way you have the Japanese and english right there. Though I know you write out the japanese too, so this is probably of no use to you. Could always just put an option in the preferences to turn this off and on or something.

Also, when you change characters (In my case when I change from normal to loud), in the next new bubble box, it says it's still on normal, when really it's on loud, and then when you go to edit the bubble, it says loud. So I think the new bubbles aren't getting the information on what character it's currently set on, and instead just displays the first.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

tardo wrote: I'll see if I can come up with something on the tail thing, I have a few ideas, but they keep becoming useless as I try them out with different tail bubbles.

Your explanation is a bit over my head, so why do you think it's having a problem with the tail bubbles? It seems like if it checks all directions it can go, it shouldn't have a problem.
The little tail things are generally narrow. When the scout point gets to the pointy part of the tail, it tries to walk back out, but it can't go places where it has already been. So it somehow gets in a situation where it walked in somewhere, and then can't walk back out. I'll need to add something that shows me maybe a 32x32 pixel grid in the area when it stops so I can find out generally what happens.

Unfortunately, I'm super busy with work now. I've got a conference in Kyoto from Monday, so I won't be doing any GMAO work for a while. :(
tardo wrote: And is there a way to increase the space between lines?

Some of these with the bold are a bit too close and kind of hard to read.
GMAO takes the "line height" information from the font. I could add a "line spacing" global setting that adds a set number of pixels, make that as an option for a "character font" setting, an option for styles, and an option for each bubble. But it won't happen anytime soon.
tardo wrote: Yeah, it's somewhat annoying having to alt+b, ctrl+n, click on the program window (Since the autopolygon box is what's selected after it's closed) and then hit alt+b. (Wow, I'm really lazy, though I blame hentai kamen's amount of bubbles.)
Yeah, it annoys me that the autopolygon control panel gets focus as well. I like that it is "floating", but it shouldn't get focus. I'll try to automatically make the main window gain focus instead of the autopolygon box. (On the Mac, I've been hitting control-~ which pops focus back over to the right window. I don't mind keyboard work as much as mouse work.)
tardo wrote: Thinking ahead for when I have to go through my stuff and change wording and possible mistranslated bubbles, could you just hide the bubble's bg and whatever's in the bubble when you open the bubble insertion box for a specific bubble, since whatever words there are are already in the text insertion box, and that way you have the Japanese and english right there. Though I know you write out the japanese too, so this is probably of no use to you. Could always just put an option in the preferences to turn this off and on or something.
Yes, that is a good idea. It would useful for me too since I always want to see the Japanese text whether I'm entering in English or Japanese.
tardo wrote: Also, when you change characters (In my case when I change from normal to loud), in the next new bubble box, it says it's still on normal, when really it's on loud, and then when you go to edit the bubble, it says loud. So I think the new bubbles aren't getting the information on what character it's currently set on, and instead just displays the first.
Where does it say the character name? In the annotation information window? I usually work with that thing closed. I don't understand by what you mean by the character it is set on? You mean the default character setting? What do you mean the first? The first character in a list? Which list? (all characters?) I'm a little confused here.

Hm, looks like I have a lot to work on here...!
Onkr
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Onkr »

Hi all.

I like the new autoPoly feature, even if it fails sometimes (especially with bad scans where the bubble border becomes interrupted), and even if it draws too many edges sometimes.

Some minor complaints regarding v1.9.6:
- pasting text in any dialog box is no more Ctrl-V but Ctrl-Y.
- you have to ask "effects/filter" twice in the context menu to make it appear.

Also, It would be nice that effects/filter remember the last settings: I keep setting the outline color to white whereas it keeps proposing black.

Keep on the good work :wink:
trado
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by trado »

FuguTabetai wrote:
tardo wrote: I'll see if I can come up with something on the tail thing, I have a few ideas, but they keep becoming useless as I try them out with different tail bubbles.

Your explanation is a bit over my head, so why do you think it's having a problem with the tail bubbles? It seems like if it checks all directions it can go, it shouldn't have a problem.
The little tail things are generally narrow. When the scout point gets to the pointy part of the tail, it tries to walk back out, but it can't go places where it has already been. So it somehow gets in a situation where it walked in somewhere, and then can't walk back out. I'll need to add something that shows me maybe a 32x32 pixel grid in the area when it stops so I can find out generally what happens.

Unfortunately, I'm super busy with work now. I've got a conference in Kyoto from Monday, so I won't be doing any GMAO work for a while. :(
I don't know how much this'll help, but if you have everyone start making a bubble at the top left, then you could keep track of the starting point, and if the bubble doesn't have a point who's y position is smaller than that of the first point, you can have it assume it hasn't got to the other top side, and thus if it gets stuck, you can have it move over diagonally whichever way it was going before it got stuck and then have it find a wall again. That might be a bit difficult to program, and I don't know what errors would arise from it, but it might work.

I do know this could lead to going outside the bubble, but assuming tails are only 10x10 at most, it probably won't be a problem if you move a small amount like 5 diagonally or something. Probably have to play with it.

FuguTabetai wrote:
tardo wrote: Also, when you change characters (In my case when I change from normal to loud), in the next new bubble box, it says it's still on normal, when really it's on loud, and then when you go to edit the bubble, it says loud. So I think the new bubbles aren't getting the information on what character it's currently set on, and instead just displays the first.
Where does it say the character name? In the annotation information window? I usually work with that thing closed. I don't understand by what you mean by the character it is set on? You mean the default character setting? What do you mean the first? The first character in a list? Which list? (all characters?) I'm a little confused here.

Hm, looks like I have a lot to work on here...!
For character styles I have Normal and loud, since that's pretty much the only too styles I need. Say I'm using a normal style, and the next bubble has a loud style, when I go to make a new bubble it says normal so I change it to loud. However, when I go to the next new bubble, it still says normal in the character style, even though, when I say ok, the bubble ends up loud style. If I go to edit the bubble, it then says loud. So I'm thinking the character styles in the new bubble box isn't getting updated with the current style that's being used like the edit box is. Something rather minor, but needs fixing eventually.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Onkr wrote: Some minor complaints regarding v1.9.6:
- pasting text in any dialog box is no more Ctrl-V but Ctrl-Y.
Oops! I added the Emacs keybindings (control-K will cut all the text to the end of the line, and control-y will paste it back, control-a to the start of the line, control-e to the end, there are some other emacs things in there now too) but I forgot to check if that got rid of the "normal" cut / copy / paste keys. I'll check, but I think I should be able to add those in pretty easily. If not though, I'm keeping the Emacs keybindings because I use them everywhere else in my OS. Or I'll add an option to enable them selectively. Man, GMAO is getting lots of options.
Onkr wrote: - you have to ask "effects/filter" twice in the context menu to make it appear.

Also, It would be nice that effects/filter remember the last settings: I keep setting the outline color to white whereas it keeps proposing black.
I'll check into that. I didn't change any of the that code, but who knows. I'll think about the color thing - right now the way things are there is no easy way to do that. I don't like the inconsistent color handling either, but I have been working on more fun things than that...

And also translating!
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Noticed a problem with the Project Manager: If you load up a new project, then go to the GMAO Options, the settings are not updated. Also, if you save a file, it will overwrite the previous (not new from new Project load) file.

You can avoid this by loading the new project, quitting GMAO, and starting it again. Kind of a pain, but I know how to fix it and will try to do that soon.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

I pushed out verison 1.9.6.10 last night. It addresses this bug:
Primary
* (done in 1.9.6.10) Fix the gutter option.
Also, it will set pages to show the top left corner when you load a new page.
trado
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by trado »

Cooly.

Oh and on the export by chapter thing, I meant on the export by range window, maybe adding a dropdown with the list of chapters and storing the start/end pages as a value so they substitute the start/end page drop downs if you happen to select the chapter dropdown instead. Or, probably be easier to just add it under the Export Range on the file manager and export the chapter you already have open since you got the page list already.
trado
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by trado »

Can you deal with the bugs when you switch project files next when you have? I tried the load the xml, close the program and reopen, but my raws loc/export dir/ and export format didn't change to reflect the project. Also, any font char name that's the same in the old and new projects (Normal, Bold, Title ect) doesn't seem to load correctly and uses the presets from the old project. So basically you have to change your fonts every time you switch projects, and it's getting a bit annoying.
trado
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by trado »

Hmmm, it seems like whenever I start up my computer and aren't connected to the internet I get a "Unable to launch program" error. Have you run into this?

Exception:
com.sun.deploy.net.FailedDownloadException: Unable to load resource: http://FuguTabetai.com/software/GMAO/code/GMAO.jnlp
at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.actionDownload(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getCacheEntry(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResourceCacheEntry(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResource(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.updateFinalLaunchDesc(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.prepareToLaunch(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.launch(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main.launchApp(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main.continueInSecureThread(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Wrapped Exception:
java.net.UnknownHostException: FuguTabetai.com
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)
at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)
at sun.net.NetworkClient.doConnect(Unknown Source)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(Unknown Source)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(Unknown Source)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.<init>(Unknown Source)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(Unknown Source)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(Unknown Source)
at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getNewHttpClient(Unknown Source)
at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.plainConnect(Unknown Source)
at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.connect(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.deploy.net.BasicHttpRequest.doRequest(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.deploy.net.BasicHttpRequest.doRequest(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.deploy.net.BasicHttpRequest.doGetRequest(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.actionDownload(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.updateFinalLaunchDesc(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.prepareToLaunch(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.launch(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main.launchApp(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main.continueInSecureThread(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

trado wrote:Hmmm, it seems like whenever I start up my computer and aren't connected to the internet I get a "Unable to launch program" error. Have you run into this?
Hi Trado,
I haven't run into this before. I also don't think that I've started GMAO without being connected though. I'll try to look into it, but I won't have any time for a while. Things are crazy now.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

So I tried to run GMAO on my newer MacBook, running OSX 10.9.5. That didn't go too well, it wanted me to download a 1.6 runtime.

I want to live with the times, so I got Java 8 running (needs the JDK) and was able to launch GMAO via the command line. I'll have to re-bundle the app to make that work again. So that is something I should be able to accomplish in the near term. Also, for some reason option-b quit working for hiding/showing bubbles. I need to fix that, since it is a big part of my workflow.

Also, graphics performance is terrible when loading a new page - about two minutes until it is displayed! Terrible! I'll try to look into that. Anything with filters is just god-awful unusably slow. So I should profile that too.

But, on the plus side, it does still work, and I have been doing some translation again.