GMAO Performance totally horrible under new Java

Information about GMAO - the application I (write and) use to translate manga.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

GMAO Performance totally horrible under new Java

Post by FuguTabetai »

I just updated my Mac to OSX 10.5 (leopard) and noticed that graphics performance under GMAO is really, really horrible.

I figured it has to do with Apple switching the Java graphics pipeline over to the Sun rendering engine. Maybe I could spend some time and track things down, improve performance, whatever, but I just wanted to do a bit of translation before going to bed.

So I moved over to my ThinkPad and tried GMAO in windows. It was also running absolutely horribly under Java 1.6 and 1.5 (of various versions.)

This really confuses me because I haven't changed anything in GMAO for a while. There is no reason that the windows version should also start performing poorly.

I'm downloading Java 1.6u10 beta 12 which is supposed to have graphics improvements, but I'm really confused about what is going on right now.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Java 1.6u10 beta fixed the problem on windows. I have no idea what would have made the previous installs of Java, which still worked fine, turn graphics sucky.

I don't know what is going on with the Mac either, but I'm pretty sure that is just due to Apple's switch over to the Sun rendering engine. Which sucks, because I much prefer translation on the Mac, but I don't have the time to screw around with that now.
trado
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by trado »

Oh, that explains a couple things. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: wow.... that's so much better than what it was.... so fast at loading.....