Question with your software

Information about GMAO - the application I (write and) use to translate manga.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

phonix
Yuurei
Yuurei

Question with your software

Post by phonix »

Basically, I'm in a real big problem. I have manga scans but they are not in English. While I know how to speak Japanese I can't read it well. I've been trying to use OCR programms but, it works to no avail. I'm just not cut out for searching up that type of stuff because I don't really understand what to do.

So far I know what I'm looking for, something whcih can either convert the image file to a japanese text, allow me to select the Japanese text so I can copy and paste it into a translator, or translate the page.

Would your software allow me to highlight text?

I apologize for seeming direct here. I'm just very tired and annoyed, because I do want to understand what's going on in these scans. Being able to read the text would help :P

Thanks
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

no, my software is basically a tool I wrote for myself to help in the translation process. All it does is show the image, and let me put text on top of the bubbles. There is no OCR involved.
phonix
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by phonix »

Oh, right well. At least it was worth asking. I don't suppose you know any good OCR software by any chance?

I understand that you're very good at reading kanji and so on. How exactly did you learn to do so? It all looks quite confusing to me.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

I live in Japan (going on 4 years now) and studied the language for 4 or 5 years.

I know of no free easy to use Japanese-capable OCR software. I know of one open source Japanese-capable OCR program, but it is not in a useable form yet.

There are paid OCR programs available, but I have never used any, so can not recommend any.
phonix
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by phonix »

Alright then. Thanks anyway.