Great Teacher Onidzuka: Anime vs. Manga

Information about GMAO - the application I (write and) use to translate manga.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Great Teacher Onidzuka: Anime vs. Manga

Post by FuguTabetai »

Hey all,

I just rented DVD 2 of GTO and I wanted to comment on one or two differences... The stories are pretty similar, but they really messed up with Kunio and his back story. In the anime, they have his father just running out on Kunio, when in the manga, (jeez, I hope I am remembering this correctly - I translated this stuff a while ago) his father was in a gang, and died that way...

At least his mom is still a crane operator, and not a truck driver like in the drama. heh. :) But she was cool in the drama too though, so I don't mind that as much.

They also left out some funny stuff with Fukuroda, and I noticed that they didn't translate the pun/joke on Fukuroda's name (the students always called him Hokuroda - "mole" - since he had a big one on his face.)

Oh, and they never translated the really funny "Korosu" (I'm gonna kill ya!) kanji on Kunio's face when his veins started popping out. heh.

fugu
GreatTeacherStone
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by GreatTeacherStone »

hey let us not also forget the differences in the live action GTO which was more popular than the anime or the manga!
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

GreatTeacherStone wrote:hey let us not also forget the differences in the live action GTO which was more popular than the anime or the manga!
Yeah, but the live action GTO was pretty damn good. They also compressed it into a much shorter season - I like that better than how they dragged things out in the manga and anime. After about volume 9 or so, GTO starts to lose a bit of its edge...

fugu
Tod

Post by Tod »

Hey man what happened to GTO? I downloaded your java program and it's a different manga now...
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Tod wrote:Hey man what happened to GTO? I downloaded your java program and it's a different manga now...
Like I said over at GreatTeacherOnidzuka.com, GTO was licensed by TokyoPop. I still use GMAO (Great Manga Application Onidzuka) to do translation though - I use it for Tenjo Tenge, Vulgar Ghost Daydream, Capcom Gals Anthology, and GetBackers before that was licensed.

Anyway, you can buy GTO now, so no problem.

Damn, I thought someone else was actually using GMAO. Heh.

cheers,

fugu