New Feature: TRanslator Note support on exported images

Information about GMAO - the application I (write and) use to translate manga.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

New Feature: TRanslator Note support on exported images

Post by FuguTabetai »

Hi all,

I added a new feature (that I've been meaning to add for a long time) to GMAO last night. I often make little Translator notes by adding a third "translation" to a bubble that starts with the text "[Trans. Note]" (no quotes.) Now, if you have the option selected (and it is by default) if GMAO sees a note that starts with the text [Trans. Note] that matches the language being displayed, it will add more space to the bottom of the exported image, and put the note down there.

There is a new pane in the Options dialog that lets you set the font and colors for this text - strangely, the background colors don't seem to match between what is under the text and what is the real background. That shouldn't happen - they are using the same color specifier... But if you keep things black or white, it is fine. Who wants crazy colors in there anyway?

Right now I don't have a way to indicate on the bubble that there is an associated translator note, but I'm thinking of how I could put a superscripted number in there somewhere. This might be hard though, since I would have to switch to use TextLayout objects on each line instead of doing the layout myself. (A benefit would be that the TextLayout would let me support styled text, like bold, different font colors, whatever. I don't think I would want to add that in because it would be a pain in the ass to persist it, but maybe later.) Anyway, if I can work something out soon, expect it to go in in a day or so, otherwise, expect it never to happen...

Also fixed a bug that was having HTML exports fail on the GMAOServer.

fugu
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Added horizontal text justification

Post by FuguTabetai »

I added horizontal text justification. That was fairly easy actually. Still not used TextLayout objects - but I think it will be easy to plug them in. I have to think about how I will handle the display though. I think best would be to allow the user to indicate a location to put an indicator for a translation note - something like <TN> in the text will turn into a superscripted number, where the number is the numer of the translation note. (Those would just be in the order in which they are found in bubbles, so the first bubble to have one would be 1, the next 2, etc. I always assume that people translate bubbles in the order that they should be read...)

Anyway, horizontal text justification is in, I haven't tested it very much but it should work as well as vertical text justification, which has been pretty well tested. All text bubbles default to center justification, and then you can set a new justification using the bubble pop-up menu. If you want an option to change the default justification, let me know. I don't see why it would be important though, since I'm sure everyone wants center justification...

fugu
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

I was able to get a small superscripted number at the end of the text in bubbles that have Translator Notes. So now things are just about perfect.

I looked into having a tag like <TN> or something indicate the location where a superscripted number should appear, but it turns out that would be a really large amount of work to support. So you will have to settle for a single superscripted number at the end of the bubble. You really should only have 1 Translator Note per language per Bubble, but if you have more than 1, things should work ok - the bubble will only have an indicator for the first note though.

The superscript uses the same font as the one set for the Translator Note text in the Options. Anyway, that is about it. I'm pretty happy that I was able to get all that set up.

Now I have an itch to switch layout over to use TextLayout objects because that would let me add other attributes to the text, and possibly start doing text entry in the bubble itself. I don't think I'll ever start work on that though...

fugu
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

oops...

Post by FuguTabetai »

oops, that last update totally broke GMAO when you make a new bubble. (I know what the problem is, so I'll fix it tomorrow.) Actually, you can still put text in the bubble and then things will be fine.

fugu
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Ok, I fixed that bug, and also moved a big string to a HTML file for my convenience.

This release of GMAO is hereby named version 1.1.0! Marked off in CVS and everything...

fugu