GMAO won't start.

Information about GMAO - the application I (write and) use to translate manga.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

dDave
Tamashii
Tamashii

GMAO won't start.

Post by dDave »

Howdy,

I was using GMAO this evening, quit, and came back after a while to launch the program again. When I tried to start the program, I get the following web start error when it tries to check for updates.

"Unable to lead resource: http://fugutabetai.com/code/bug/TableLayout.jar"

When you accept the error message, GMAO quits. Are you moving files around? Can you somehow code that if the auto-update fails to find a file, that the current version on disk will go ahead and launch?

Best,

Dave
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

That was my mistake - I've fixed it.

You should be able to launch GMAO locally anytime - although it doesn't automatically do it via the links Java Web Start installs. If you load up the Java Web Start program, it has an option to launch any of the applications that you've installed via Java Web Start from your local cache.

Anyway, I made that change yesterday to some other stuff, and should put out a new update sometime soon that include PNG support for installs that have Java 1.4 or newer. I don't know if the Mac version of Java is up to 1.4 or not yet...

fugu
dDave
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by dDave »

Howdy,

Thanks for the quick fix, and also the tip about the Java Web Start.

Current Mac OS 10.3 version of Java is 1.42, so all is well on that count.

Best,

Dave
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Ok, I just pushed out a new version (we're up to 1.1.3 now!) of GMAO that supports javax.imageio.ImageIO for saving images. This means that, if you have Java 1.4 or greater, any image type that Java has a writer for can be written. You should at least get PNG support.

Java has a bug currently where it doesn't support any compression on PNG images (and apparently, BMP with BI_PNG compression is broken too...) so they are huge. But since PNG is lossless, you can always run pngcrush on the results afterwards with no quality loss.

pngcrush support should not go in GMAO - that is the wrong place for it. It would be nice to have some scripts that can call pngcrush on a bunch of files at once though. Which I have, but they are written in shell script (sh) - so they won't work on windows. But I'm sure that someone (possibly over on the Scanlator Help Forum at manganews.net) should have some .bat files that do that. Or I could write some up if I can find a .bat syntax reference, but basically, the correct fix would be for Java to fix their PNG encoder...

Let me know if there are any problems - I tested PNG (not bmp or wbmp) on windows, and it worked fine.

Like the comment says (hover mouse over the labels) JPEG is the old GMAO JPEG compressor (GIF too - Java doesn't have a GIF writer due to the Unisys patent) and JPG will be the one included with Java. It might be better / faster, I didn't bother testing it.

fugu
dDave
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by dDave »

Howdy,

Thanks for the updates as always.

Mac OS X runs shell programs no problem since it is unix. Care to share your scripts?

Also, FYI, the GIF patent has expired. http://slashdot.org/articles/03/06/20/0 ... 185&tid=99

Best,

Dave