^.^

Information about GMAO - the application I (write and) use to translate manga.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

mystavash
Tamashii
Tamashii

^.^

Post by mystavash »

ひさしぶり!
They are taking ages in Internet time to fix my website's php myadmin function thingy (I was all gungho about learning databases too... :cry: ), so I have been working on きみはペット.

Now that I have a functioning scanner, a good image editing software system, and GMAO working on my main XP user account...

I have realized that the chapters, at least in the first volume, are amazingly, amazingly *LONG*. I think it only comes out bimonthly.

The size I selected for the final product was too small to use GMAO effectively, I think (33% of a 300dpi scan...), so I changed it to 50%, and plan to reduce the ae's later. Is there a way to have them reduce in size automatically when exporting to an image?

Of course, the nicest thing would be if my Japanese were better... I've read up to volume 8 of this series and seen the drama, but I still couldn't translate the first page without looking words up. ;p

Anisa.
GMAO makes me sleepy!
Coordinator, Get Backers Manga Translation Project
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Re: ^.^

Post by FuguTabetai »

mystavash wrote:ひさしぶり!
They are taking ages in Internet time to fix my website's php myadmin function thingy (I was all gungho about learning databases too... :cry: ), so I have been working on きみはペット.

Now that I have a functioning scanner, a good image editing software system, and GMAO working on my main XP user account...

I have realized that the chapters, at least in the first volume, are amazingly, amazingly *LONG*. I think it only comes out bimonthly.

The size I selected for the final product was too small to use GMAO effectively, I think (33% of a 300dpi scan...), so I changed it to 50%, and plan to reduce the ae's later. Is there a way to have them reduce in size automatically when exporting to an image?

Of course, the nicest thing would be if my Japanese were better... I've read up to volume 8 of this series and seen the drama, but I still couldn't translate the first page without looking words up. ;p

Anisa.
GMAO makes me sleepy!
Hi Anisa,

no there is no way to have GMAO output at a different size than the original scan... :( I could work on that, but honestly it is just best if you settle on a size to work with and stick to it. :)

Post by Guest »

;p

You know what would be really really neat...

If the annotation window weren't a seperate window... If it could be like, a dockable panel or something.

Oh, and there's one character I named the ex because I couldn't find out where his name was, but now I know it... Can I change the Character name on all his bubbles?

OH! And, the second time I used GMAO, it said the location of the xml file on the local drive wasn't a valid URL and no manga for me (very funny ;p), but opening the file manually was fine...

Anisa.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Anisa wrote: If the annotation window weren't a seperate window... If it could be like, a dockable panel or something.
It is a little big to be a dockable panel. You can just close the window and use the keyboard instead though. That is what I do. :) Also, the toolbar is dockable in other places...
Anisa wrote: Oh, and there's one character I named the ex because I couldn't find out where his name was, but now I know it... Can I change the Character name on all his bubbles?
The easisest way to do this is to open up the XML file, and do a find and replace on character="ex" with character="newname" - that will change all instances of the character to the new character. There is no way to do this in GMAO easily. But that is what is nice about using XML files - they are just text files! Be sure to make a copy of the XML file first, because if you have Japanese text in it, there might be some problems with encoding if you just use a text editor that doesn't understand Japanese encodings...
Anisa wrote: OH! And, the second time I used GMAO, it said the location of the xml file on the local drive wasn't a valid URL and no manga for me (very funny ;p), but opening the file manually was fine...

Anisa.
Hm, I don't know why that would happen. It should save the location of the XML file properly... Let me know if it happens regularly, and I can try to test it myself.

fugu

wah

Post by Guest »

so, what happens when you just so happen to hit the X close button in the corner without saving first? It doesn't prompt you, does it?

Anisa.
up waaaaaaaay too late.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Re: wah

Post by FuguTabetai »

Anonymous wrote:so, what happens when you just so happen to hit the X close button in the corner without saving first? It doesn't prompt you, does it?

Anisa.
up waaaaaaaay too late.
I'm not sure what happens. I think it should prompt you to save, but best not to do it... Let me know if it doesn't and I'll try to make it. :)

Post by Guest »

FuguTabetai wrote:
Anonymous wrote:so, what happens when you just so happen to hit the X close button in the corner without saving first? It doesn't prompt you, does it?

Anisa.
up waaaaaaaay too late.
I'm not sure what happens. I think it should prompt you to save, but best not to do it... Let me know if it doesn't and I'll try to make it. :)
;p

Alas! Didn't save. I wouldn't have noticed at all, except one of the characters I named recently (he comes and goes in one chapter, and so doesn't have a name ;p) didn't show up on the character list.

By all means, please make it prompt to save before quitting. ;p

Anisa.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Anisa wrote: Alas! Didn't save. I wouldn't have noticed at all, except one of the characters I named recently (he comes and goes in one chapter, and so doesn't have a name ;p) didn't show up on the character list.

Anisa.
I just checked, it will prompt you to save if you have bubbles that have not been saved yet.

Post by Guest »

FuguTabetai wrote:
Anisa wrote: Alas! Didn't save. I wouldn't have noticed at all, except one of the characters I named recently (he comes and goes in one chapter, and so doesn't have a name ;p) didn't show up on the character list.

Anisa.
I just checked, it will prompt you to save if you have bubbles that have not been saved yet.
だって! ま、いいけど。。。 Maybe I did something funny. I remember thinking maybe I hadn't saved after I clicked on the x, but I didn't get a warning, so it was OK... Next day, missing several bubbles and a character (haha, The Creep ;). But my memory is fuzzy, so perhaps in between I did something else...

I was at work until 7 today! I felt very Japanese. ;)

Anisa.
PS: This forum seems to load better when I don't sign in...

Post by Guest »

FuguTabetai wrote:
Anisa wrote: If the annotation window weren't a seperate window... If it could be like, a dockable panel or something.
It is a little big to be a dockable panel. You can just close the window and use the keyboard instead though. That is what I do. :) Also, the toolbar is dockable in other places...

fugu
I read through the whole Comments on GMAO thingy cuz I could've sworn you mentioned this in there too, but then I forgot what I was reading it for. *easily distracted*.

So, how do you do this, actually? I could possibly get it if it were just the text, but there is also the language and the character setting.

Adding more common functions to the tool button bar thing is an idea worth considering. :)

Anisa.

Post by Guest »

oh, yeah, あれだったら, if you need some place to store files... my mystavash.net site just got an extra 200 mb I don't even need, and I can set up FTP accounts so you can control a specific directory. If you need it, just let me know.

Anisa.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Anonymous wrote:
FuguTabetai wrote:

fugu
I read through the whole Comments on GMAO thingy cuz I could've sworn you mentioned this in there too, but then I forgot what I was reading it for. *easily distracted*.

So, how do you do this, actually? I could possibly get it if it were just the text, but there is also the language and the character setting.

Adding more common functions to the tool button bar thing is an idea worth considering. :)

Anisa.
To un-dock the toolbar, drag it using the shaded gray region to the left. It will snap to the 4 sides of the drawing area, or you can leave it free-floating.

I could add more buttons to the toolbar, but I don't know what is needed. Making it user-configurable would be a pain.

Post by Guest »

FuguTabetai wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
FuguTabetai wrote: It is a little big to be a dockable panel. You can just close the window and use the keyboard instead though. That is what I do. :) Also, the toolbar is dockable in other places...

fugu

Anisa.
To un-dock the toolbar, drag it using the shaded gray region to the left. It will snap to the 4 sides of the drawing area, or you can leave it free-floating.

I could add more buttons to the toolbar, but I don't know what is needed. Making it user-configurable would be a pain.
I can sorta see where you thought I meant the toolbar... I feel like being the kids in the commercial and say 'silly Dave', but that's just because I had a weird hectic day at work. ;p

I meant typing in the bubbles without using the annotation window. :)

Anisa.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Anisa wrote: I can sorta see where you thought I meant the toolbar... I feel like being the kids in the commercial and say 'silly Dave', but that's just because I had a weird hectic day at work. ;p

I meant typing in the bubbles without using the annotation window. :)

Anisa.
I see. I doubt that will happen anytime soon. Actually, it is one of the things I've been thinking of doing - click in the bubble, have a text caret appear, and edit directly. I might play with it in my development version to see if I can get it working well, but it would initially only be for bubbles that have had text input via the Annotation Information Frame. If I can get it working that way, then I can think of what sort of user interface would be needed to specify the Character and Language for the bubbles (possibly I would throw them into the toolbar.)

But none of this will happen soon.

In fact, I can't think of changes that I need to make soon - with dDave's feedback, I've got GMAO in a state that I really like...

fugu

Post by Guest »

別なくてもいいわ。読み間違っただけさ。  よく頑張りました、ね。  :)

あにさ。

Post by Guest »

OK, so this puzzles me... If you exist GMAO properly, it saves the last used settings, including what file you last opened. OK.

So I open it up, and up comes my kimi01.xml file, no problems. Not even that (HAHA DAVE :P ) 'No manga for you!' error.

Fill in some bubbles. Save. The save dialogue comes up, and here I am continuously baffled. First of all, why does the save dialogue even come up? 2nd, it acts like it doesn't know the file name, and starts from the c:/ directory, I have to go and look for the kimi01.xml, and write over it to save.

At first I wasn't really sure what this would do, so instead of using GMAO straight away when I first opened it, I would reopen the saved kimi01.xml file. If I did that, made changes, and saved it, no save dialogue would come up at all, it would just save the changes to the file. I'm not losing info either way (I think), but it bothers me.

おかしいなぁー...

Anisa.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Anonymous wrote:OK, so this puzzles me... If you exist GMAO properly, it saves the last used settings, including what file you last opened. OK.

So I open it up, and up comes my kimi01.xml file, no problems. Not even that (HAHA DAVE :P ) 'No manga for you!' error.

Fill in some bubbles. Save. The save dialogue comes up, and here I am continuously baffled. First of all, why does the save dialogue even come up? 2nd, it acts like it doesn't know the file name, and starts from the c:/ directory, I have to go and look for the kimi01.xml, and write over it to save.

At first I wasn't really sure what this would do, so instead of using GMAO straight away when I first opened it, I would reopen the saved kimi01.xml file. If I did that, made changes, and saved it, no save dialogue would come up at all, it would just save the changes to the file. I'm not losing info either way (I think), but it bothers me.

おかしいなぁー...

Anisa.
You aren't losing information either way - I just never got around to setting GMAO up so that it would know where to save a file when it starts up opening from a file. It is something I should do, I agree. I'll fix that. (It is an easy fix.) I'll also make Control-S a shortcut for save...
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Done and done. Control-S is now a save shortcut (be careful!) and if you load a file automatically, you will save back to that file now without having to choose it again. The only reason that didn't work before is because I was a bit lazy and didn't think to make it work correctly.

Cheers,

fugu