GMAO Version 1.4.0

Information about GMAO - the application I (write and) use to translate manga.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

GMAO Version 1.4.0

Post by FuguTabetai »

I just pushed out GMAO Version 1.4.0 today. Major changes include:

1. Ability for the GMAOServer to send an XML file to GMAO via RMI. This means that whoever is coordinating a translation project will not have to host a webserver just to push out the XML files. (You still need a webserver for the images though, or you can load images locally.)

2. Much better error reporting from the GMAOServer to GMAO.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

GMAOServer update

Post by FuguTabetai »

Updated GMAOServer. I improved error handling when the AnnotatorConfigFile doesn't exist. Now if the file does not exist, the GMAOServer will try to create a new one, and if it can't do that, it will report an error, and tell you the path that it couldn't create the file at. Changing the path to a directory accessible to the server should fix things, and it will create an empty file now. So you don't need to create it by hand first...

Also, improved error reporting to GMAO when logging in if there are problems with the AnnotatorConfigFile.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Updated GMAOServer again (up to version 1.3.1 - no I don't keep GMAO and GMAOServer version numbers in sync...) to fix problems with moving files on linux. Added a fallback file copying method in case java's File.renameTo() method fails (which it will if you try to rename a file from a directory on one partition to another, such as a move from /tmp/ to /home/ - a fairly common occurence.)

I should probably add this code into GMAO as well, so I can do the "write to a temp file, rename that to the real file" for safety concerns...
Sqrfrk

Post by Sqrfrk »

I'm having a bit of trouble with this GMAO release - the application started updating itself after I closed the previous version and reloaded. It doesn't seem to want to load, as the splash screen shows up for about a minute then closes.

I tried redownloading and reloading using Java Web Start, but the program sits idle at the "Loading Application" screen.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Sqrfrk wrote:I'm having a bit of trouble with this GMAO release - the application started updating itself after I closed the previous version and reloaded. It doesn't seem to want to load, as the splash screen shows up for about a minute then closes.

I tried redownloading and reloading using Java Web Start, but the program sits idle at the "Loading Application" screen.
Probably just having trouble downloading the jar from my server - it often becomes rate limited, and hard to download stuff from here.

It should work fine, but I'll let you know once I get home and make sure that the Java Web Start version runs on my linux box ok. Just try again though. Let me know if you can't get it to start up.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

oops, I just tried, and I can only run GMAO with Java 1.5, not 1.4. I probably screwed something up with the last build, since I only have java 1.5 on my machine now. I'll fix it tomorrow.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Ok, I've rebuilt GMAO.jar with the java 1.4.2 toolchain, and it works under a 1.4 JRE. So a restart or two (until it loads the new JAR at least) should be all you need to be up and running again.
Sqrfrk

Post by Sqrfrk »

Works like a charm! Thanks :D
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

GMAO Version 1.4.3

Post by FuguTabetai »

I updated GMAO to 1.4.3. I made a few changes:

* I added a "Reset to Defaults" button for the Font Options list. This allows you to reset a character to use the "Default Font". Before, once you had set up font information for a character the only want to remove it was to edit the GMAO.props file by hand. Anyway, it should mostly work as advertised. I should at some point edit the font options so that you can specify all that you can for styles, but I've had enough luck with how things are that I haven't felt the need to do that yet.

* I added a "Save As..." command so you can save to a new file name if you like. GMAO still doesn't have a dialogue box pop up to warn you if you choose to overwrite a file, and I also don't do "safe saving" where I save to a temp file then copy it over to the desired file name. I should fix that, since I found the problem that made me take it out (and fixed it in the GMAOServer code.)

* I made the HTML exported pages properly pick up the encoding that you specify in the GMAO options. I tested with a save to UTF-8, and it worked fine.

* I made miscellaneous changes in how files are loaded and saved in GMAO and the GMAOServer. For the most part, they both will try to guess the encoding based on the XML file and bytes in it, so you shouldn't have to worry about it. They both will save files to the encoding that you specify in the properties. I actually used GMAO to transcode from EUC-JP to UTF-8 for all the files that I'm currently running in the GMAOServer. Please note that GMAOServer still only has 1 encoding for all files, and for this reason, I recommend using UTF-8, since it can encode all character sets that you might want to throw at it.

As always, please let me know if I broke something for you, and I am always really happy to hear stories about how GMAO is being used. I'm still convinced that it really is just only me playing with it, but that's cool too.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Version 1.4.4: The text completion boxes are now not case sensitive.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Version 1.5.0 is just out.

I added an eye-dropper like color choosing tool. It isn't really great, but it should help. Click the color picker, and then click on some color on the manga image that you wan. There is a new color information panel in the toolbar that will show you what color you will get. You can set the foreground (text) and background (outline, background) of new bubbles. Only new bubbles that you create will pick up the new colors.

If you can think of a nice way to apply this also to old bubbles, let me know. I think setting up color for new ones should be sufficient though.

Also note that if you have it set to foreground BLACK and background WHITE, then no colors will be forced on the bubble. I did this because I like to keep the default user-settable. If you have BLACK and WHITE as your default, things will look great most of the time, and if you ever want to change all the bubble backgrounds, you can just by changing the default setting in Appearance. I guess that isn't really useful, but that's how I did it.

Please let me know if you have any comments / suggestions.

Also, I added a bit of color to let you know when the other tools are selected. It is ugly, I know, but unless someone wants to spend time making pretty icons, you'll have to live with it. Oh, and my apologies to the GIMP crew, since I totally stole their eyedropper tool icon.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Version 1.5.1

Bubbles that don't have any translations are not given pop-ups in HTML exported with Overlib. Carriage returns in the text have a space added to them so HTML can flow the text properly.

A button has been added to the color dialouge for bubbles that lets you take colors from the Eyedropper color thingee.

The eyedropper color thingee should look slightly better, as I prevented it from going to infinite max sizes. I still haven't figured out an easy / good way to constrain it to a nice aspect ratio (so it doesn't turn into rectangles instead of squares.) Also, if you undock the toolbar, the thing still gets ridiculously small, despite it claiming to have a decent minimum size.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Version 1.5.2.

There is an "Export to HTML Script..." menu item in the File menu now that exports the XML translation to a single HTML text script. It uses XSL, with two xsl files included in the jar. You can set the XSL file to use in the Options dialog.