Version 1.6.0

Information about GMAO - the application I (write and) use to translate manga.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Version 1.6.0

Post by FuguTabetai »

I've uploaded a new version of GMAO. I've added one big feature: the ability to add descriptions to Characters (stored in the XML file) for use in Character Lists generated by GMAO. I've also added the option for making the list of pages that a character speaks on use Overlib to make a popup for each volume.

This list of character from all Tenjo Tenge volumes uses the descriptions and overlib popups.

I've written some documentation for these new features, which you can read in the "Help" browser under the "HTML Export" section.

Please let me know if there are problems, and/or feature requests. I know the UI for the Character Descriptions is pretty wonky - I was thinking of removing the "Save" button altogether and always updating the in-memory DOM with character descriptions, but I didn't do that.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

GMAO 1.6.1

Post by FuguTabetai »

Version 1.6.1 adds the ability to manually set the vertical position of where text starts flowing from. Bring up the pop-up menu on a bubble, and select "Set vertical position" (I think) and then set the position of where you would like the text to start with the mouse. This information can be saved and restored on a re-load to the XML file. If you want to cancel the information about where to start flowing the text, set one of the other vertical justification options (top, bottom, center.)

This should come in handy for fine-turning the text layout, and getting larger text when the "top" or "bottom" options choose really stupid places to put the text (which happens all the time, since they use pretty brain-dead schemes to choose where the "top" or "bottom" of a bubble is.)

I updated the documentation to include information on the text justification options now as well.

Other things I plan to do in the near future with GMAO:

* Add a GUI for editing the overall description of the manga volume - I've had a description field in there for ages, but no GUI to use it.

* Add the ability to include a synopsis for a chapter. The synopsis will then be included in the HTML translation script, and I might make some tools (simple XSL based things) for building the synopsis of a volume on a chapter-by-chapter basis. This would go well with the tools already included for building character lists with character information.
Onkr
Yuurei
Yuurei

Bug in version 1.6.2

Post by Onkr »

Hi,

After using version 1.5.1 for quite a bit, I recently switched to version 1.6.2. The new features like the manual vertical positioning are fine !

However, there is a problem in the management of transparency (it is in fact a regression because it worked OK in v1.5.1) :

when creating a bubble and setting its transparency to 0, only the background becomes transparent, but the bubble outline stays opaque no matter what, even if setting its color to 'none' (and I cannot even set its width to 0 as a workaround). Interestingly, when the bubble has the focus, its outline becomes transparent.

This is rather annoying because I use this feature a lot (I am translating a full color manga).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Onkr
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

I noticed this as well. I'll try to get a fix out in the next few days.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

1.6.3 fixes this problem. Sorry about that. Also, you can set the outline width to 0, and the outlines will go away. I don't know why that would not have worked...
Onkr
Yuurei
Yuurei

Wow!

Post by Onkr »

Once again, that was fast ! And it works... :-)

As for the outlines, I don't want to look stupid, but... (but I shall anyway) : I see where I can adjust the Text outline width, but where can I adjust the width of the box outline ? Is it the same for both ?

Thanks for the good work

Onkr
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Re: Wow!

Post by FuguTabetai »

Onkr wrote: I see where I can adjust the Text outline width, but where can I adjust the width of the box outline ? Is it the same for both ?
The stroke width of all bubbles is always the same for all bubbles. You can adjust it in the GMAO->Options Appearance frame.

At some point I might make it possible to set on a per-bubble basis, but I don't really see the need. I think things look better with a consistent size...