Thoughts on VGD

A shonen horror style manga. Follows the trails of Misaki Saiki, a young "Necromancer" who can speak with dead people.
oppa
Yuurei
Yuurei

Thoughts on VGD

Post by oppa »

I finally got around to checking out VGD, after finally deciding to get Bit Torrent again. I didn't think much about VGD from the short descriptions I'd see around here and other places, but I have to say that I'm rather intriqued by it now.

I've seen horror and comedy mixed in a variety of different forms of media before, but this one really stands out. Most of the time, the flow of the story would be abrupt and inconsistent when the theme changes from horror to comedy and vice versa, but it wasn't so in this series. Throughout what I've read so far (what's been scanslated), I had an ominous feeling as I read through VGD yet was able to laugh wholeheartedly during the comedic moments... and not feel like anything was disjointed. For me, that is really impressive in the part of the mangaka.

Fugu, of course I appreciate all the Tenjo Tenge you've scanslated, but I have to doubly thank you for this one. It's manga like VGD (and even TT) that never see the light of day in America, and also get overlooked by scanslaters, but it's a welcome change when someone like yourself can bring this stuff to us here.

I don't usually write somewhat long-winded posts of appraisal for manga that I like (usually just a paragraph), but this one, for some reason, deserved it. I haven't been this into a manga since Love Hina and Hunter X Hunter. And with that.... :D .

....Thinking of which, I really shouldn't have stopped trying to learn Japanese. Then I could buy all this stuff myself... there's so much manga that I'm unaware of that I know I would really enjoy. Now, I have no time... but, I digress (again).
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Glad you like it - I try to translate things that are a bit different from the normal stuff that I see floating around. And I liked VGD because it is a kind of modern ghost story, as well as amusing at times.

you should see some of the total crap that I don't bother to translate though. man, there is a lot of bad stuff out there...

fugu
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Hey there guys! This is my first post in this side of the forums, and I must say -- it's about time!

To Fugu, thanks for the translations. Great work!

This is a great book we have here. The stories are intriguing and they don't necessarily feel contrived either. Also, it's fresh and dark at the same time. A great casual read among other titles out there.

Keep up the good work!