Where can I get help with manga translation ?

You can talk about random stuff here - for example, Yui Toshiki's Kagome Kagome, or just other random stuff.
lain
Yuurei
Yuurei

Where can I get help with manga translation ?

Post by lain »

Hi all,
I'm looking for a forum where I can get help with translation of japanese manga. Is this the right place, and if no, could you give me a hint ?

I have a specific question too (i'm trying to translate Akira): I don't understand the grammar rules behind "kimi no warui basho da se". If I'm right, "kimi" means "feeling" (a noun), and "warui" means "bad" (an adjective). But can a noun describe an adverb ? And does this "NOUN no ADV" construct form a new adjective, that describes the following noun (basho) ?
Thanks in advance!
miyagiCE
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by miyagiCE »

If you need help translating something from Japanese, just go ahead and check http://mangahelpers.com. It is a forum of an audience consisting of translators who like to help others with their problems.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

You can also check out the "Translator's help forum" at manganews.net

You can post stuff here, but there aren't many people that know Japanese here. Maybe 2 or 3.

As for your question, I would translate that as "That place gives me the creeps" or something like that.

Are you sure it doesn't end with "da ze"?
lain
Yuurei
Yuurei

here's the kanji

Post by lain »

Sorry for the missing kanji in my last post; I was sitting at a PC with no jap IME installed.
In fact, it's written
気味ã￾®æ‚ªã￾„場所ã￾ ã￾œ
and said by one of the characters when looking at the crater where a bomb exploded, so i think it could be translated with something like "it's a creepy place / a place with bad vibes".
What I don't understand is the grammar of this sentence. "気味" (i translate it with "feeling") is a noun, and "悪ã￾„" an adjective; and in "気味ã￾®æ‚ªã￾„" the noun "feeling" describes the adjective "bad" (that's how I understand the "no" particle). When I want to say something like "a bad feeling", shouldn't it be something like "悪ã￾„気味" ?
I'll check the forums you mentioned, thanks!
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Japanese has fairly flexible word order. If you said 悪ã￾„気味ã￾®å ´æ‰€ you would be ok, but it sounds more natural to say 気味ã￾®æ‚ªã￾„場所. I can't really explain why because it has honestly been years since I've studied Japanese. There are some minor differences in emphasis (e.g., are you more concerned about expressing the bad feeling, or that the place has a bad feeling?) but they generally mean the same thing.
6Flame6Ghost6
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by 6Flame6Ghost6 »

This isn't live.

I joined an abandoned chat room T_T
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

6Flame6Ghost6 wrote:This isn't live.

I joined an abandoned chat room T_T
What do you even mean by that?

If you don't start making more sense, I will delete your posts. I can't determine if you are a robot troll or not.
iidesu
Tamashii
Tamashii

Re: here's the kanji

Post by iidesu »

Fat Man
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Fat Man »

if you use rikaichan in a mozzila browser (firefox) it will give you translations.
feeling (possessive particle) (bad adj) place (verb to exist)

気味 ã￾® 悪ã￾„ 場所 ã￾ 

(emphasis particle)
ã￾œ
bad feeling place is!!!
気味ã￾®æ‚ªã￾„ 場所 ã￾ ã￾œ

or

This place gives me the creeps!!
Good judgment comes experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
Fat Man
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Fat Man »

The ã￾®ã€€particle is possessive it connects to things together it think of it as a + sign. feeling + bad which then modifies the noun place.
Good judgment comes experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.