Server Question

You can talk about random stuff here - for example, Yui Toshiki's Kagome Kagome, or just other random stuff.
BuccKevin
Tamashii
Tamashii

Server Question

Post by BuccKevin »

How come the server really lags sometimes? Maybe every 2-5 minutes. Is it on a 66Mhz comp ;0 or does it send backups to a remote server every 2-5 minutes?
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

the server is hosted on my old Apple //e upgraded to 128 KB memory with 2 5.25" floppy drives, and an added Incider 10 Meg hard drive card. I did upgrade the 300 bps Hayes Smartmodem to a 2400 bps generic brand modem, so it should be going a bit quicker now. Since the 6502 processor is only 1 MHz, you really shouldn't expect much out of it. You're just lucky I'm not running WWIV BBS as the main interface anymore.

Or, more likely the server is my work machine (fugu) - a 400 MHz PII upgraded to a 1.4 Ghz Celeron, but still sitting on a pretty crappy bus, so not that fast. I use the machine regularly, but that isn't going to effect the speed you see.

What is doing that is the bandwidth shaper that Columbia installed. They don't let any one machine eat up too much traffic, so traffic from fugu gets throttled back a lot.

And I don't care enough to do anything about it. This is just a hobby.