Moving to japan

You can talk about random stuff here - for example, Yui Toshiki's Kagome Kagome, or just other random stuff.

Moving to japan

Post by Guest »

Anyone know where i can find out prices and cost of living in japan, as i wish to move their sometime early to mid next year, any area is fine, thanks alot

ciao
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

Post by hitori »

This might help you get started.
http://www.pricechecktokyo.com/

Where are you living right now?
Why are you moving to Japan? Job related? :D
Amon-Sama
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Amon-Sama »

"its me the guest"

no not really i mean, when i get their i will look for employment, but i just want to spend time their absorb the culture etc, and i heard it was quite expensive their, so i have to act accordingle, thanx

edit: I live in Sydney, Australia

ciao
Arigato Gozaimasu!!
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

^ grammar nazi alert!

it's "there" not "their." "their" is saying a group of people own an object(s).
Amon-Sama
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Amon-Sama »

who cares about my grammer as long as im understood thats all that matters

ciao
Arigato Gozaimasu!!
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

but good grammar is always nice. plus it's good for yourself too. I hate to think if you write important e-mails/letters like that. :shock:
Amon-Sama
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Amon-Sama »

i always write good grammer when nessicerry, thats when i pull out adictionary, plus on the net, people use very slanged out english, who normal people may not understand a wor, so in that regard i think im not thatbad, plus considering english is my second language, give me a break :D

ciao
Arigato Gozaimasu!!
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

^ see if you said english is your second language at the start I wouldn't have said anything. Since you didn't, I could only assume you were either a) lazy b) middler-schooler or high-schooler.

my bad my bad. s'all good now. 8)
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

Post by hitori »

I think moyusm went a bit too far this time, but it's all good I guess... :lol:

English is the third language I learned, and I hated it when people always wanted to correct my mistakes.
This is indeed the first choice of universal language, so people all over the world learn it out of necessity; not out of passion for linguistic mastery.

Unless you are a student, nobody needs to be chided about every little mistake. IMO :wink:

BTW Amon, have you found the place you want to live in Japan?
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

I think moyusm went a bit too far this time, but it's all good I guess...

English is the third language I learned, and I hated it when people always wanted to correct my mistakes.
This is indeed the first choice of universal language, so people all over the world learn it out of necessity; not out of passion for linguistic mastery.

Unless you are a student, nobody needs to be chided about every little mistake. IMO
Off topic, but I disagree. The issue is not so much a passion, but as you say, a necessity. If you want to be understood by people from all over the world, you need to write in good, clear, and standard english. And I'm not even talking about the occasional typo, grammatical error, or mistaking one word for another, etc., which even english teachers make, but a complete and utter lack of respect for the language reflected by absolutely no effort made in making their messages construable. Standard forms exist for a reason, you know.

Furthermore, while there are many who are not good in english (and thus their mistakes are excusable), many others who write/type poorly are often NOT handicapped by language skills (or lack of it). They're just lazy.
Amon-Sama
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Amon-Sama »

i was considering perhaps moving to kyoto, or maybe tokyo..these are perhaps everyones choice at first wanting to move to well known places so i will probably take a closer look, and find a place i can move to apropiate to my budget, so obviously im not going to move into central tokyo, so thanks for asking :D

ciao
Arigato Gozaimasu!!
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

I would think the more well known areas will also be a lot more expensive compared to say moving in a more suburb region. While areas like Kyoto and Tokyo are great, it's really going to hit your budget mad hard. Heck, I think living in Japan in general is a lot more expensive than here in the US.

... then again, at least Japan doesn't have to worry about random terrorists destroying your country.
Amon-Sama
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Amon-Sama »

plus the convienence of having manga a hell of a lot cheaper :), and yeah thats why i wont be moving into hevly populated city areas, outa bit, but not exactly rural :lol:

ciao
Arigato Gozaimasu!!
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

Amon-sama, perhaps you could try looking at things from a weatherly point of view. Japan is made up of 4 main islands. The northernmost one, Hokkaido, has an almost-Siberian climate, while Kyushu and Okinawa can be almost tropical in nature. I take it you are interested in the main Island, which is where Tokyo is located, you may wish to consider the others as well, depending on your climate preference. I have very little tolerance for bitter cold, so Hokkaido is pretty much out of the question if I ever wish to move to Japan...

Moyism wrote:
... then again, at least Japan doesn't have to worry about random terrorists destroying your country.
No, just typhoons and earthquakes and giant monsters and robots... :wink:
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

Post by hitori »

Agent_Wax wrote:The issue is not so much a passion, but as you say, a necessity... but a complete and utter lack of respect for the language reflected by absolutely no effort made in making their messages construable... many others who write/type poorly are often NOT handicapped by language skills (or lack of it). They're just lazy.
I don't agree with you either. :lol:
In my view, if you are good enough to be understood, that is good enough.
Are you saying Amon's postings were so lacking of respect for the English language
that you were unable to understand it?

Unless it's an academic document or instruction manual to operate your DVD player,
less than perfect grammar is not going to hurt anyone.
The very fact a person is multilingual, no matter how good or bad he/she is,
is ALREADY saying that person has gone the extra step to learn it.
Unless you are personally driven for such, I don't think you should be expected to be perfect.
Agent_Wax wrote:Hokkaido is pretty much out of the question if I ever wish to move to Japan...
Have you been to Hokkaido?
It's not at all that cold as you make it sound.
Siberian? Far from it.
It's an island...MUCH much milder climate.
I would say the closest comparable is Denmark's.
Of course Hokkaido has more mountainous geography so it does snow a LOT.
But from what I've experienced, Hokkaido has great climate.
I've been there only twice, but that's the only place in Japan I'd visit just for the natural beauty.
Agent_Wax wrote:No, just typhoons and earthquakes and giant monsters and robots... :wink:
But Ultraman will come to protect you.
And Kamen Rider, Evangelion... even Sailor Moon! :mrgreen:

Post by Guest »

In my view, if you are good enough to be understood, that is good enough.
Are you saying Amon's postings were so lacking of respect for the English language
that you were unable to understand it?

Unless it's an academic document or instruction manual to operate your DVD player,
less than perfect grammar is not going to hurt anyone.
The very fact a person is multilingual, no matter how good or bad he/she is,
is ALREADY saying that person has gone the extra step to learn it.
Unless you are personally driven for such, I don't think you should be expected to be perfect.

Ah, you misunderstand me. I don't object to people not fluent in a particular language making mistakes, if that's what you mean. I object to people fluent in the language who are simply too damn lazy to make the effort. Learning an extra language is always good, and everyone should be encouraged to. Still, practice is essential to reach fluency, and you can never reach fluency if you take lazy shortcuts whenever you can.

And yes, I agree with you that in the final analysis, being understood is more important than flawless grammar, spelling, etc. But that only works with the assumption that everyone who understands english understands the slangs, shortened forms, etc., whereas anyone with a decent command of the language will be able to understand standard english.
Amon-Sama
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Amon-Sama »

I dont really mind where i move to in japan, but i do want to move to a place where there is a lot of history, not just a bunch of tourist crap like disneyland, and since i come from a place not to different from siberia, that wouldnt bother me, the heat and humidity bothers me, so ill just find a place with the least amount of that :lol:

ciao
Arigato Gozaimasu!!
Fulsion
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Fulsion »

How's your situation - financially ? Not just how much money you have, what about income (not "maybe I'll try this or this", you better have a plan ready). Japan is somewhat similar to other asian countries in that "wants" (manga, anime, etc) is cheap, but needs (rent, water/electrical) is expensive, and it's the most expensive asian country in the world. You will need money, and you will need a positive cashflow too, regardless of where you plan to live.