Miwa Shirow's Dogs is released

Stray Dogs, howling in the night.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Miwa Shirow's Dogs is released

Post by FuguTabetai »

Please see http://mangatranslation.com/dogs/ for information. It is a single volume - most unfortunately because it was packed with style and totally cool characters, as well as excellent art. It is the story of 4 people in a strange (and pretty interesting) post apocolyptical (I believe) somewhat nostalgic city. Definitely worth a read.

I wish he had continued this, but there are no other volumes for sale, which is a great shame. Maybe it will continue at some point, but this also just might be an example of a good manga that died an earl death.

Cheers,

fugu
monkey

f up, gentlemen

Post by monkey »

This is my most absolute favourite manga by damn..
There was another short story published in the UJ anthology Ultra Jump Mega mix, it was called Hard core twins ( or psycho twins) and was about two characters who appear really briefly in the corner of an earlier panel. ( in the Buon Vaggio cafe.) It's oh so rad, despite being so short.
His website can be found here..
http://mmm-gee.cool.ne.jp
youzen

Post by youzen »

Whoa, this manga was a surprise. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm amazed, and saddened, that there wasn't a second volume. I would have loved to find out all the backgrounds of all the other characters that weren't explained.

Thanks again for it,
- youzen
arpl
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by arpl »

Wow
It's definitely a very good manga. Very stylish.
Too bad he's not continuing it though... :(
BTW,who is this shirou miwa? I think i've heard him before,but forget where...
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Re: f up, gentlemen

Post by FuguTabetai »

monkey wrote:This is my most absolute favourite manga by damn..
There was another short story published in the UJ anthology Ultra Jump Mega mix, it was called Hard core twins ( or psycho twins) and was about two characters who appear really briefly in the corner of an earlier panel. ( in the Buon Vaggio cafe.) It's oh so rad, despite being so short.
His website can be found here..
http://mmm-gee.cool.ne.jp
Thanks, I didn't know about that site. It's really nice. I like his art a lot. The good news is that on his "works" page, it says that "Dogs" should be appearing regularly (as opposed to irregularly) in Ultra Jump starting in 2003. So that means there is hope that the series will continue...

fugu

Error

Post by Guest »

Eh, when I surf through the individual pages to read them via browser, the bubbles on page 43 come up as "text 0", "text1" ect ect with no actual translated content.

Just letting ya know.
Bunshichi Lover
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Bunshichi Lover »

;x that last post was by me. Forgot to log in. x.x

:D Great story btw!
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Re: Error

Post by FuguTabetai »

Anonymous wrote:Eh, when I surf through the individual pages to read them via browser, the bubbles on page 43 come up as "text 0", "text1" ect ect with no actual translated content.

Just letting ya know.
Looks like a bug in Overlib - the translations are in the generated HTML page. I wasn't able to figure out why it isn't working correctly. I don't particularly want to debug the overlib library though. bummer.

fugu
Emlan^_^
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Emlan^_^ »

holy shit *0*
I was like thinking to myself the other day that I wanted to read that manga sooooo badly and now here it is >3<;; [miracle??? X3]
thankyou ~ ;o;
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Emlan^_^ wrote:holy shit *0*
I was like thinking to myself the other day that I wanted to read that manga sooooo badly and now here it is >3<;; [miracle??? X3]
thankyou ~ ;o;
So where did you see it? Because I haven't heard a peep about it on the web (well, there is mention, briefly, over in the giantrobot.com forums somewhere) and I just picked it out completely randomly while browsing. It is just so stylish - I really like the art a lot, and I am really drawn into the world as well.

Anyway, the cover for the doujinshi (at this link http://www.janac.co.jp/ss/dogs/books/index.html) from this fan site http://www.janac.co.jp/ss/dogs/index.html is just hilarious.

fugu

Post by Guest »

FuguTabetai wrote:
Emlan^_^ wrote:holy shit *0*
thankyou ~ ;o;
So where did you see it? Because I haven't heard a peep about it on the web (well, there is mention, briefly, over in the giantrobot.com forums somewhere) and I just picked it out completely randomly while browsing. It is just so stylish - I really like the art a lot, and I am really drawn into the world as well.

Anyway, the cover for the doujinshi (at this link http://www.janac.co.jp/ss/dogs/books/index.html) from this fan site http://www.janac.co.jp/ss/dogs/index.html is just hilarious.

fugu
hahhaaha omg the cover *0*
uh anyway:
well, I browse a LOT of artsites and japanese oekaki boards, so Ive stumbled over the charas quite many times. and since they looked cool and all I looked up the manga name and began to well....long for it :D

http://soybean3.at.infoseek.co.jp/img/bbs/ the main page took down their fanart, but its still some in their pic database ;3
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

Finally read it

Post by hitori »

Didn't get to read this book until now because I've been a bit busy.

But I finally read it last night and I loved it.

Very stylish... it could very well be made in to a Cowboy Bebop style anime or some short film work as well.

Great choice of manga and great translation.
Thanks again, Fugu!

Post by Guest »

Woah, this is the frickin best manga i read in my whole life XD

I've read and loved so many mangas, but this one is outstanding. It's cool, the style, the story, the characters... Everything is flawless and perfect XD

Great work, thanks a lot!
Barabus

Post by Barabus »

I see that it's on the Ultra Jump website, so it's still part of the magazine; his site says it's released irregularly, so I don't know how many chapters have been done so far. Might be quite a while until book 2 is released.
Barabus

Post by Barabus »

I see that it's on the Ultra Jump website, so it's still part of the magazine; his site says it's released irregularly, so I don't know how many chapters have been done so far. Might be quite a while until book 2 is released.
kaboom

Post by kaboom »

is it just me, or is the bit torrent link not working??
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

kaboom wrote:is it just me, or is the bit torrent link not working??
The tracker (http://tjtg.mangatranslation.com:6969/) says that it is working - although currently there is only 1 downloader, and 1 seed. It looks like there might be something wrong with my server - I'm not seeing much traffic since Sunday evening. Maybe the server has been blacklisted or something.

fugu
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

If wishes were fishes, Fugu would be Robin Williams. Or maybe Barbara Eden.
No, I don't know what that means, either. It just sounded cool.

Thanks, Blowfish. This is another great manga. You have good taste. Well-drawn manga are a dime a dozen, but well-drawn AND well-written? 8) Let's hope we get to see more doggies soon. I really like Mihai too.

Agent Wax
The_Shape
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by The_Shape »

Fugu, i assume the paper of the Dogs' tanko is the usual quality (like TenTen's and most tankos)?

I wish tankos had better paper quality. Japan has some of the best printing in the world, but they use such a crappy paper for what's supposed to be a collection...

From all the manga i have, only two or so titles have good paper. I actually get better paper in doujins than tankos...

Oh well, i guess living in Japan's climate that's not much of an issue.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Agent_Wax, thanks. I'm glad you like it.

Shape, the paper on Dogs was very nice - at least as good as Tenjo Tenge. I don't "debind" my manga when I scan because I'm lazy, and I like to keep the manga afterwards, so there is often a bunch of crap down the left or right side that I try to clean up, but I don't spend much time on any one page. I'm always most interested in the translation, the other stuff just doesn't interest me as much...

fugu
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

Paper quality

Post by hitori »

The_Shape wrote:I wish tankos had better paper quality. Japan has some of the best printing in the world, but they use such a crappy paper for what's supposed to be a collection...
Sometimes when a title becomes "best seller" they print what is called the "Keepsake Version"
Those are printed in very high quality paper and are uaually bound in hardcover with new illustrations and some other extras.

If you would like nice books, we could hope TJTG reaches that level ^_^
But that would be pretty hard, since the titles that get made in to keepsake versions are things like 'The Glass Mask' which has been best seller for about 18 years. :roll:
The_Shape
Kouhai
Kouhai

Re: Paper quality

Post by The_Shape »

Fugu, that's the thing, i think TT's paper is pretty bad.
hitori wrote:
The_Shape wrote:I wish tankos had better paper quality. Japan has some of the best printing in the world, but they use such a crappy paper for what's supposed to be a collection...
Sometimes when a title becomes "best seller" they print what is called the "Keepsake Version"
Those are printed in very high quality paper and are uaually bound in hardcover with new illustrations and some other extras.

If you would like nice books, we could hope TJTG reaches that level ^_^
But that would be pretty hard, since the titles that get made in to keepsake versions are things like 'The Glass Mask' which has been best seller for about 18 years. :roll:
There's no chance TT will have one of those. Video Girl Ai, Dragon Ball, Bastard, Slam Dunk have special editions (i have the Bastard and VGAi ones). But TT is not as popular as those.
trausaum

Post by trausaum »

i hope there will be a second book...

this is on miwas hp...

集英社ウルトラジャンプにて「狗-DOGS-」不定期掲載。
 2003年より連載開始に向け只今準備中

and the babel fish thing translated it like this

At the Shueisha Publishing Co., Ltd. ultra jump "狗 -DOGS-" irregular publication. From 2003 it directs to the start of serialization, merely now in the midst of preparation

starts of serialization.. jeah... would be niicccce..
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

trausaum wrote:i hope there will be a second book...

this is on miwas hp...

集英社ウルトラジャンプにて「狗-DOGS-」不定期掲載。
 2003年より連載開始に向け只今準備中

and the babel fish thing translated it like this

At the Shueisha Publishing Co., Ltd. ultra jump "狗 -DOGS-" irregular publication. From 2003 it directs to the start of serialization, merely now in the midst of preparation

starts of serialization.. jeah... would be niicccce..
Yes, it is supposed to start appearing regularly in Ultra Jump some time next year. That would be way cool - I really like Dogs.

fugu
battlemonkey

Post by battlemonkey »

so, you mean they will be serializing regulary dogs next year??
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

That is what I have read, yes.

fugu

Post by Guest »

im tryin to DL dogs but theres no upload on the bittorrent...
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

The tracker (http://tjtg.mangatranslation.com:6969/) shows two seeds currently. It might take a while, but it should go through fine. Cheers,

fugu