Tenjou Tenge in the press: this and that

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Tenjou Tenge in the press: this and that

Post by MrProphet »

Picked up a DVD of Samurai Champloo vol. 2 today. It has a trailer for Tenjou Tenge among the extras. Pretty much just the opening, no karaoke, the usual deal. The quality looked nice.

But that's not the best part.

NewType USA (April issue) just had a field day with TJTG. First they reviewed the anime version, which was a pretty much cookie-cutter, by-the-numbers description of the premise and the first episode. But whoever wrote the review sneaked in an unintentionally hilarious line, and I quote: "Lest we leave anyone out, there's also the leader of the club. Takayanagi, who may not look like much of a fighter but is unstoppable when provoked".

Oh man, that's good... 8)

They also had a review of the manga. Pretty decent... except the writer makes no mention of the edits. Absolutely none. I'd understand if he were just reviewing any given manga, however, plugs for the CMX volume are numerous.

Just goes to show that some things are always for sale. Oh well. Not to mention that the Enforcers are called "Executioner's Club" or that "Tenjou Tenge" supposedly comes from a phrase "Tenjho Tenge Muteki" ("There is no one is heaven or earth who can beat me"), which is supposedly popular among street punks.

I just had a blast reading all of it. Terrific. 8)

Not that NewType is all that bad. Lacus-sama from Gundam SEED graces the cover and so I am apeased. 8)
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

Newtype USA reviews are utter jokes. I stopped needing to read anything they had to say after they gave Battle Vixens a good review.
Isuzu
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Isuzu »

Unfortunately, those things don't exclusively happen in the USA - Manga/Anime-magazines try to cover a quite extensive field, thus most authors just don't have the time and knowledge to write something with substance about most series - everybody has got his favourites, but somebody always has to write about something he does not really know about.

Press ain't perfect. We got the same problems in Germany, too, with our different anime-mags. That's life.

But... I really wanna know which anime they described. It can't be Tenjou Tenge, can it? *g*
Bomb me, please.
Natsume Maya
Bushi
Bushi

Re: Tenjou Tenge in the press: this and that

Post by Natsume Maya »

MrProphet wrote:NewType USA (April issue) just had a field day with TJTG. First they reviewed the anime version, which was a pretty much cookie-cutter, by-the-numbers description of the premise and the first episode. But whoever wrote the review sneaked in an unintentionally hilarious line, and I quote: "Lest we leave anyone out, there's also the leader of the club. Takayanagi, who may not look like much of a fighter but is unstoppable when provoked".
Were they reviewing the upcoming R1 DVD release? Or just the anime in general? I'm just trying to work out whether there's been a mistake in the R1 DVD translation.
They also had a review of the manga. Pretty decent... except the writer makes no mention of the edits. Absolutely none. I'd understand if he were just reviewing any given manga, however, plugs for the CMX volume are numerous.

Just goes to show that some things are always for sale.
Perhaps the reviewer did not know of the edits.
"Tenjou Tenge" supposedly comes from a phrase "Tenjho Tenge Muteki" ("There is no one is heaven or earth who can beat me"), which is supposedly popular among street punks.
I haven't heard of a phrase "tenjou tenge muteki" before (though I'm no expert). Perhaps it should be a reference to the phrase "tenjou tenge (tenka?) yuiga dokuson". That's where I thought the title may come from. See previous discussion on these boards in relation to chapters 70 to 75 or something...
Natsume Danjou Maya.
http://natsumemaya.net/ (new website address)
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

I haven't heard of a phrase "tenjou tenge muteki" before
The phrase in Chinese is "Tian Xia Wu Ti". "No mortal under the heavens is my rival". I'm not certain whether the Japanese added a "Tenjou" to it, though. That would mean that even the gods & deities are weaker than you, which is rather rude...

But yes, "Strongest in all of existence" is how I always interpreted the title.
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

And regarding Newtype USA reviews, I think there is some misunderstanding. It is not an issue of being familiar with the 'source material' (aren't journalists supposed to do research before writing anything? How is 'not familiar with the source' even an excuse in the first place? :? Even if you argue they're not journalists, isn't Newtype a big enough publication to warrant some decent quality control and semi-journalistic standards?).

Newtype USA, as a general policy, DOES NOT PRINT NEGATIVE REVIEWS. Even when they are deserved. There's hardly any question as to why.

They're whores.

Simple as that.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

I remember once that NewType did a negative review of Manga Ent's End of Evangelion (NewType is owned by ADV Films). There was such an uproar about the negative review, as if it's something unheard of, and they've breached some ethical standard or something.

So, it's not really the NewType. It's the nature of the industry.
Natsume Maya wrote:Were they reviewing the upcoming R1 DVD release? Or just the anime in general? I'm just trying to work out whether there's been a mistake in the R1 DVD translation.
I gather that they were reviewing the DVD, since they mentioned Geneon's release of the R1 DVD.

Or they were just reviewing the series AND plugging the DVD separately, I can't really tell for sure.
Perhaps the reviewer did not know of the edits.
If he were just reviewing the manga (Shueisha tankoubons, for example), I'd have no problem believing that. But seeing who it says right there something like CMX VOLUME 1. NOW ON SALE. GO BUYBUYBUY, I am bit unsure whether they think we are idiots, or what...
I haven't heard of a phrase "tenjou tenge muteki" before (though I'm no expert). Perhaps it should be a reference to the phrase "tenjou tenge (tenka?) yuiga dokuson". That's where I thought the title may come from. See previous discussion on these boards in relation to chapters 70 to 75 or something...
Yes, I remember the discussion and the phrase. It's supposedly the first thing Buddha has said. Also, I think it was mentioned once in manga, by Souhaku. Although I am not positive about the latter.
Natsume Maya
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Natsume Maya »

Agent_Wax wrote:
I haven't heard of a phrase "tenjou tenge muteki" before
The phrase in Chinese is "Tian Xia Wu Ti". "No mortal under the heavens is my rival". I'm not certain whether the Japanese added a "Tenjou" to it, though. That would mean that even the gods & deities are weaker than you, which is rather rude...
I believe in Japanese there's "tenka muteki" but no "tenge muteki" ("tenka" being the more common reading of the "tenge" kanji), and I don't think "tenjou tenka/tenge muteki" would be a standard phrase.
Natsume Danjou Maya.
http://natsumemaya.net/ (new website address)
Shinpachi
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Shinpachi »

Hah! Takayanagi the leader of the club, funny... Unless they were talking about the Enforcers? Was it clear they meant the jyukenbu?
TW_J
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by TW_J »

its good that tenjou tenge is starting to get recognized but i doubt it will be really well known or popular since i still mention it to pplz in the net and they can think of is tenjou tenge is a type of food they never heard of :(
Phantom14
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Phantom14 »

Agent_Wax wrote:And regarding Newtype USA reviews, I think there is some misunderstanding. It is not an issue of being familiar with the 'source material' (aren't journalists supposed to do research before writing anything? How is 'not familiar with the source' even an excuse in the first place? :? Even if you argue they're not journalists, isn't Newtype a big enough publication to warrant some decent quality control and semi-journalistic standards?).

Newtype USA, as a general policy, DOES NOT PRINT NEGATIVE REVIEWS. Even when they are deserved. There's hardly any question as to why.

They're whores.

Simple as that.
You are mean! I like that. You just stoped from buying a subscription to them. I rather get something does does not sell themsevls off as a "whore". Wich is pretty hard to come by actualy. Oh well.
I am Phantom, and you will be punished by my hand.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

MrProphet wrote:
Not to mention that the Enforcers are called "Executioner's Club"
I'm pretty sure they're called that way in the French version too, I'd check but I reall ycan't be bothered :)

Maybe they just used the French version to translate, since all the other talk about authenticity was a load of bull :P

Or maybe Fugu and the other translators interpreted the name differently, it's all possible and no shame in either, I don't actually get the big fuss :)

They are to 'enforce' their own law by 'executing' punishment :)
geohound03
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by geohound03 »

Well they are called the enforcers in the anime series too. I noticed the different name in the CMX version too (should have mentioned in other thread). It is pretty lame, why don't they take a look at Fugu's translations, they are much better. Better still, they should pay Fugu a whole load of money and he can just do the translations for them XD
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

Some updates about the TT debacle at the San Diego Comic Con:

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthr ... adid=38212
"Swallow your food whole, fool! Do you not know that mastication makes you go blind?"
ShinHitokiriX
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by ShinHitokiriX »

Agent_Wax wrote:Some updates about the TT debacle at the San Diego Comic Con:

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthr ... adid=38212

Thats pretty cool they bombarded em with Qs an didn't let up on the matter hehehe serves em right
Gigei
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Gigei »

Agent_Wax wrote:Newtype USA, as a general policy, DOES NOT PRINT NEGATIVE REVIEWS. Even when they are deserved. There's hardly any question as to why.

They're whores.

I know what you mean although I wouldn't put it quite that way. This is really bad for an anime/manga publication but I think its is ok for publications which are not specifically aimed towards these genres. I mean if it is a book review mag that occasionally features graphic novels, I would prefer that they review the mangas they actually liked to let people who are not immersed in the manga culture to know which great manga titles are out there.

Any professional review should not be 100% positive, though, I mean no work is ever perfect.

I rather liked this quote from The Comics Journal http://www.tcj.com/
First, the writing that you find in this issue is likely to be a little more critical than you're used to seeing in such publications as Anime Insider or the English-language edition of Newtype. While we commission work from writers because they've demonstrated a knowledge of the comics art form and a familiarity with comics as an industry, we don't disqualify them merely because they can occassionally be mean, elitist bastards