So I've read Vol.1 of Tenjho Tenge at Borders today......

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

Hariel0079
Kouhai
Kouhai

So I've read Vol.1 of Tenjho Tenge at Borders today......

Post by Hariel0079 »

(Impressionsand Questions)

Thus far it's alright In my POV.

Though I can pretty much guess what was edited.

Bob's girlfriend getting Raped though I wouldn't exactly know

and when she wanted to have Sex.

I have to admit though Matasaka (sp?) and his mental energy is freakin sweeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Maya man, she acts more like one of those wiseman/guru type people of martial arts when she speaks like an old man. (she is wrong in a hilarious way)

Between Souchiro and Bob, I'll choose Bob I don't like Nagi as a main character I think he's horrible.
Last edited by Hariel0079 on Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hariel0079
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Hariel0079 »

Also I thought when I first saw Aya that she was a bubble head but she seems somewhat well rounded.

One thing I did note that Maya had said was that "Natsume women, when they are touched by a man they have to either marry them or devote themselves to them" something along those lines so with that said it sounded more or less as a curse than anything else which makes me question more on the relationship between Maya and Mitsuomi.

I also can see why some say Maya is badass, hell she beat ryusazuki with a branch from a tree being that her ki is of the element of wood and she left an imprint and caved in the guys chest.

Forgot to mention I was glad that mastaka (sp?) beat the crap outta Nagi.
Asunder
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Asunder »

At this point in the manga, Souichirou might wipe the floor with Masataka. And he becomes more likeable. And he temporarily becomes bishounen.

:lol:
Hariel0079
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Hariel0079 »

Asunder wrote:At this point in the manga, Souichirou might wipe the floor with Masataka. And he becomes more likeable. And he temporarily becomes bishounen.

Bishounen?

but man that fight with between Masataka and Souichirou was like :shock:

Masataka went ballistic!!! he's pretty powerful
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Hariel0079 wrote:Bishounen?
Well, kinda... He gets thinner at the very least.

Oh! Great's style just changes as time passes by.
Hariel0079
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Hariel0079 »

kujoe wrote:

I just wanted to know what Bishounen meant that's all :P
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

Hariel0079 wrote:
kujoe wrote:

I just wanted to know what Bishounen meant that's all :P
Pretty boy.
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

Hariel0079 wrote:
Asunder wrote:At this point in the manga, Souichirou might wipe the floor with Masataka. And he becomes more likeable. And he temporarily becomes bishounen.

Bishounen?

but man that fight with between Masataka and Souichirou was like :shock:

Masataka went ballistic!!! he's pretty powerful
If you ever watch the anime that fight is the best thing in all 26 episodes and is even cooler, than the manga IMO.
Hariel0079
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Hariel0079 »

Is the anime good?

and is the OAV out in the US already?

Why was the fact Shin killing both his parents were bad?
EliteF22
Senpai
Senpai

Post by EliteF22 »

No, the anime was not good. The OVA was even worse. Manga is superior by far.
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

Why was the fact Shin killing both his parents were bad?
:? :shock: :? :shock:
This question is either intentionally funny or unintentionally scary...

watch the anime that fight is the best thing in all 26 episodes and is even cooler, than the manga IMO.
I concur. Some great, fluid moves. But then it's kinda sad that a 30 second fight is the best thing in a 26 episode series. There are so many things wrong with the anime I don't know where to begin. The utter lack of breastage on anybody's part (except Isuzu) is an abomination unto the Gods of Anime Boing...
Hariel0079
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Hariel0079 »

This question is either intentionally funny or unintentionally scary...

It was intentional.

as for the anime I'm still going to get it regardless but I do want know though if the OAV is out in the US or not.
Phantom14
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Phantom14 »

All I can say is that I won't even glance at the manga that CMX is giving us.
I did here a rumor that Dimand comics is going to release it unedited. Not sure though.

I know this is off topic, but does anyone know were I can get Oh Great's other work. Spesifcly "Air Gear" on the net, in english. Anything word, and I would be very greatfull, and I will return the favor, if wished.
I am Phantom, and you will be punished by my hand.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Diamond Comics is manga distributor, not a manga printer.
Phantom14
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Phantom14 »

MrProphet wrote:Diamond Comics is manga distributor, not a manga printer.
I would not know, it is what I heard.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

It's a stupid, totally baseless rumour... but that's just my opinion. 8)
Phantom14
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Phantom14 »

MrProphet wrote:It's a stupid, totally baseless rumour... but that's just my opinion. 8)
I spent over an hour trying to find any fact about that on their site, and nothing came up. Either that or, I was looking in the wrong direction.
Other than that, I agree with your coment.
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

s for the anime I'm still going to get it regardless but I do want know though if the OAV is out in the US or not.
The anime release, IIRC, has been pushed back a month or so. The OAV will probably be released once all the TV episodes have been released. Probably next year.
Natsume Maya
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Natsume Maya »

Phantom14 wrote:All I can say is that I won't even glance at the manga that CMX is giving us.
I did here a rumor that Dimand comics is going to release it unedited. Not sure though.
Looks like there's been some confusion: Diamond is distributing the Japanese volumes of the manga, as well as the edited CMX English volumes of the manga. Apparently its blurb for the Japanese volumes points out that the Japanese volumes are unedited. Presumably Diamond is hoping for sales of the Japanese version to fans who are upset at the editing in the English language version.

But I haven't heard of Diamond distributing any unedited English language version.
Natsume Danjou Maya.
http://natsumemaya.net/ (new website address)
geohound03
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by geohound03 »

I'm ashamed to say I purchased the US version of TT simply because I can't read Japanese. The edits are a pain, especially covering up things like Nagi sticking up the finger (and if you read their own 'ratings' in the front, it clearly says the bracket they have put TT in can include violent language etc). Why then is there no swearing in it at all? Some of the characters don't seem right without it i.e. Nagi. Also, the translation is really bad too, I think I'll stick with Fugu's textual translation thanks. Last time I checked Masataka didn't go around saying stuff like 'I wanna make you bawl like a baby'....
Natsume Maya
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Natsume Maya »

geohound03 wrote:I'm ashamed to say I purchased the US version of TT simply because I can't read Japanese. The edits are a pain, especially covering up things like Nagi sticking up the finger (and if you read their own 'ratings' in the front, it clearly says the bracket they have put TT in can include violent language etc). Why then is there no swearing in it at all? Some of the characters don't seem right without it i.e. Nagi. Also, the translation is really bad too, I think I'll stick with Fugu's textual translation thanks.
I didn't have any problems with the translation (other than one or two points where the sexual nature of the comments was toned down). Apart from one or two isolated instances, I thought it was a good translation.

You asked why there was no swearing - Japanese has very few swear words, so putting swear words into an English translation is very much a judgment call for the translator. If you're looking for a very literal translation of the Japanese dialogue, there'd be very little or no swearing in Tenjou Tenge.
Natsume Danjou Maya.
http://natsumemaya.net/ (new website address)
Shinpachi
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Shinpachi »

Natsume Maya wrote:
geohound03 wrote:I'm ashamed to say I purchased the US version of TT simply because I can't read Japanese. The edits are a pain, especially covering up things like Nagi sticking up the finger (and if you read their own 'ratings' in the front, it clearly says the bracket they have put TT in can include violent language etc). Why then is there no swearing in it at all? Some of the characters don't seem right without it i.e. Nagi. Also, the translation is really bad too, I think I'll stick with Fugu's textual translation thanks.
I didn't have any problems with the translation (other than one or two points where the sexual nature of the comments was toned down). Apart from one or two isolated instances, I thought it was a good translation.

You asked why there was no swearing - Japanese has very few swear words, so putting swear words into an English translation is very much a judgment call for the translator. If you're looking for a very literal translation of the Japanese dialogue, there'd be very little or no swearing in Tenjou Tenge.
So... Fugu's translations were that bad? I don't think I'm understanding you correctly...
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

^ they meant the US version released by CMX. Not Fugu's tranlsations..
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Natsume Maya wrote: You asked why there was no swearing - Japanese has very few swear words, so putting swear words into an English translation is very much a judgment call for the translator. If you're looking for a very literal translation of the Japanese dialogue, there'd be very little or no swearing in Tenjou Tenge.
This is a good point. I use swear words because it really seemed to match Nagi's character. There is a judgment call in these things.
geohound03
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by geohound03 »

Fair enough, and personally I think Fugu's judgement is best. Nagi suits swearing, you only need to look at his facial expressions and the way he goes around shouting at people to know that is what he'd speak like. As for thinking that the CMX translation is good and that Masataka should also somehow sound similar to the way Nagi should be, I cannot agree.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Nagi swears alot because he lacks style :)

He's just a punk ;)
geohound03
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by geohound03 »

Hahaha well that too, but the main point is the essence of his character does not come out in the CMX translation. Well that is just my opinion.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

I haven't read the CMX version and never will, so I really can't say :)

Though the swearing isn't really needed, it might add, but without it it goes to show he's a dumb punk by his actions ;)
geohound03
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by geohound03 »

The main bit that got me annoyed in the translation is during the Masataka vs Nagi fight. Masataka says 'For the first time today, I feel like jackin' you up til' you bawl like a baby'. It just didn't seem like him at all. There are a few other lines like that, and fair enough it has been localised for the American market, but I can't help but dislike lines like that from Masataka.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Yeah, that does sound cheesy ...
Shinpachi
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Shinpachi »

Oh, I was really thinking more about Bunshichi's language, and I guess I didn't pay much attention to what Nagi said in Fugu's, because I didn't notice the swearing.
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

This is an issue of complexity. It is true that Japanese contains few swearwords. But the intent of the speaker needs to come throught in the translation. Kono yaro iterally means 'this guy/person' but it's a sure bet that when someone says that their intention is 'this arsehole' or something similar. The same goes for kisama and many other spoken terms and words. In this case, it is not so much the verbatim text that matters, but what the speaker intended.

I don't know how much this conceptual problems in translation occurs, but I think it a common problem when translating languages with entirely different origins (ie. German to !Kung or Korean to Swahili). It's not so much that the Japanese have less feelings, it is simply that their language does not allow for such displays of emotion. A literal translation of Japanese (less colourful & emotional) into english (more colourful and emotional) and will therefore almost always lose at least a third of its meaning, which is integrated also into the terms of address and the manner of speaking (more so than english in most cases). The honorific a speaker uses will include information on the speaker and his/her relationship to the addressee, but a literal english translation is simply Mr/Miss/Mrs X.

A verbatim and literal translation from Japanese into English would end up with a very bland and cold text. This may be fine if you're translating 'dry', impersonal text like medical or scientific reports, but will almost always fail when translating manga, which consist almost entirely of spoken texts.
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

Good post AW, I think swearing would be appropriate trranslations for some Japanese since just like you wouldn't just go up to someone and go "hey asshole" unless you wanted to make them mad, even though literally you're just saying "you" for many Japanese inlsults the intent is exactly the same.
geohound03
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by geohound03 »

explained very well.
Shinpachi
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Shinpachi »

So do you consider english swearing to really be any different from speaking extremely disrespectfully in Japanese?
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

Shinpachi wrote:So do you consider english swearing to really be any different from speaking extremely disrespectfully in Japanese?
I'd say no.
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Literally perhaps, there are differences.

But if you want to make a proper transition from Japanese to English and vice-versa, some valid interpretation has to be made.
Halon
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Halon »

I personally think Nagi is a great main character, love it when he transform because of his power, he is possibly one of the strongest fighter now.