Strongest juukenbu member

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

shogun gekomon
Tamashii
Tamashii

Strongest juukenbu member

Post by shogun gekomon »

i was thinking, could the strongest member in the history of the juukenbu be both nagi and bob? like as the the combined knuckle bomb team? :?
i dunno :roll:
I <3 Chun Li
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by I <3 Chun Li »

Mutsumi for 3 Minutes...

or Possibly Masataka :D
solidis1
Doushi
Doushi

Post by solidis1 »

I think they could be foreshadowing that in the beginning of the manga but I think just one will be the top.
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

solidis1 wrote:I think they could be foreshadowing that in the beginning of the manga but I think just one will be the top.
Oh great could always surprise us. We have ruled Masataka because of his foreshadowing, but what if his narration is being told before a stronger person appears, sometime before the Tournament. It sounds confusing but it was never specified when his narration exactly occurs. Just a thought :D .
Nobody1898
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Nobody1898 »

you have to remember tawara was a member of juukenbu in the begining
Rooster
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Rooster »

i was thinking, could the strongest member in the history of the juukenbu be both nagi and bob? like as the the combined knuckle bomb team?
No, unless they're merged together at a toxic waste plant.
Mitsuomi
No.
Tawara
Tawara is a supporting character, no more, no less. This story is not about him.
Masataka
I don't really give a rat's ass about the narration but it wouldn't make much sense even if Asshat narrated it.

First, "that instant" refers to Souichirou's and Bob's enrollment in the group, so it makes sense that the strongest member is either one of them.

It could make sense if say, Masataka would be the "True Warrior" (haha) and Souichirou would be the evil gnome, in the sense that Souichirou would be the catalyst to Masataka's super enlightment, but that's a far shot.

Besides, even though I said I didn't give a rat's ass about the narration, Masataka narrating it pretty much shoots even that slim hope down (unless he has a large hidden ego and likes to refer to himself that way). And if the author suddenly says "It wasn't Masataka narrating, it was Casper the friendly ghost", well, I won't comment further on that.
I <3 Chun Li
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by I <3 Chun Li »

I think it make sense with Masataka narrating and becoming the True Warrior, but i doubt thats gonna happen...

This is probably something the author used to get us distracted while he sets up an even bigger surprise for us
Nobody1898
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Nobody1898 »

Rooster wrote:
i was thinking, could the strongest member in the history of the juukenbu be both nagi and bob? like as the the combined knuckle bomb team?
No, unless they're merged together at a toxic waste plant.
Mitsuomi
No.
Tawara
Tawara is a supporting character, no more, no less. This story is not about him.
Masataka
I don't really give a rat's ass about the narration but it wouldn't make much sense even if Asshat narrated it.

First, "that instant" refers to Souichirou's and Bob's enrollment in the group, so it makes sense that the strongest member is either one of them.

It could make sense if say, Masataka would be the "True Warrior" (haha) and Souichirou would be the evil gnome, in the sense that Souichirou would be the catalyst to Masataka's super enlightment, but that's a far shot.

Besides, even though I said I didn't give a rat's ass about the narration, Masataka narrating it pretty much shoots even that slim hope down (unless he has a large hidden ego and likes to refer to himself that way). And if the author suddenly says "It wasn't Masataka narrating, it was Casper the friendly ghost", well, I won't comment further on that.
I don't know if you have notice but Oh! great doesn't write a very conventional manga. Just because Tawara doesn't fight or Mitsoumi can't fight more then 3 minutes doesn't mean that they won't be the strongest and that the strongest person will even be the victor.

Nagi and bob seem to the main characters( psuedo main characters if you ask me) and the obvious choice to be the strongest but the way the story has been writen so far I wouldn't be so sure about it. all we can do is speculate
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Nobody1898 wrote:I don't know if you have notice but Oh! great doesn't write a very conventional manga. Just because Tawara doesn't fight or Mitsoumi can't fight more then 3 minutes doesn't mean that they won't be the strongest and that the strongest person will even be the victor.

Nagi and bob seem to the main characters( psuedo main characters if you ask me) and the obvious choice to be the strongest but the way the story has been writen so far I wouldn't be so sure about it. all we can do is speculate.
Rooster was simply basing his comments on what has been provided by the text of the manga and what can be immediately discerned. That's all.

Rooster's point is that Masataka clearly refers to the coming of the "strongest" during that specific moment, and as the narrator, he was clearly referring to the coming of the "strongest" with the immediate fact that they just gained two new members. Plus, Bunshichi and Mitsuomi weren't even there to begin with. To also assume that Masataka was referring to himself in that scene changes the entire scene dramatically--in the sense that there was no connection at all between what was said and what just happened. In other words, the timing of his statement could've been easily changed. You could somehow read into it differently, but to be a narrator also means assuming a privileged detached position from the moment while also being present in it at the same time.

We can always speculate of course and I also think it's too early to tell who "the strongest" will be. Moreover, can we even be sure of what being "the strongest" actually means?
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

kujoe wrote: Rooster was simply basing his comments on what has been provided by the text of the manga and what can be immediately discerned. That's all.

Rooster's point is that Masataka clearly refers to the coming of the "strongest" during that specific moment, and as the narrator, he was clearly referring to the coming of the "strongest" with the immediate fact that they just gained two new members.
As the translator, I should say that what was said there exactly was:
Translator wrote: * (English by fugu) that instant was the birth of what has been called the strongest member in the history of the Jyuukenbu group
* (Japanese by fugu) 柔剣部史上最強といわれるメンバーが誕生した瞬間でもあった
(Well, I changed Yawaraken group to Jyuukenbu. I should also go back and fix vol4 I think I call it Jyuuken group there.) Anyway, it doesn't say the strongest member joined, it says that was the birth. You can interpret that in many ways, and I'm sure Oh! Great left it intentionally vague to leave himself some wiggle room.

And the story is narrated by different people at different points.
kujoe wrote:Plus, Bunshichi and Mitsuomi weren't even there to begin with. To also assume that Masataka was referring to himself in that scene changes the entire scene dramatically--in the sense that there was no connection at all between what was said and what just happened. In other words, the timing of his statement could've been easily changed. You could somehow read into it differently, but to be a narrator also means assuming a privileged detached position from the moment while also being present in it at the same time.

We can always speculate of course and I also think it's too early to tell who "the strongest" will be. Moreover, can we even be sure of what being "the strongest" actually means?
Yes, that is another theme that Oh! Great treads over constantly. In fact, that's something that he's intentionally exploring himself. I think his idea of "strongest" has changed over time as well.
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

FuguTabetai wrote:Anyway, it doesn't say the strongest member joined, it says that was the birth. You can interpret that in many ways, and I'm sure Oh! Great left it intentionally vague to leave himself some wiggle room.
Yes, I agree. The many ways by which Masataka's words can be interpreted can lead to different conclusions. Nevertheless, the scene where he says it has affected the way I understood it at first glance. If Nagi and Bob weren't in that scene, my first impression regarding this would've been different.
FuguTabetai wrote:Yes, that is another theme that Oh! Great treads over constantly. In fact, that's something that he's intentionally exploring himself. I think his idea of "strongest" has changed over time as well.
I think he talked about this in the Special Ultra Jump Issue interview that you're working on, right? The theme of strength may be a well-worn cliche for a story like TT, but I also think it's nice that he's actually doing something with it.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

kujoe wrote: I think he talked about this in the Special Ultra Jump Issue interview that you're working on, right? The theme of strength may be a well-worn cliche for a story like TT, but I also think it's nice that he's actually doing something with it.
Yes, I like that aspect as well. He talks at length about what strength is, and his search for an answer in the interview. (up at http://tjtg.mangatranslation.com/TJTG_s ... Trans.html for those of you reading along.)
Rooster
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Rooster »

Kujoe already killed Mitsuomi and Bunshinchi from the race so no need to re-address that.
Anyway, it doesn't say the strongest member joined, it says that was the birth. You can interpret that in many ways, and I'm sure Oh! Great left it intentionally vague to leave himself some wiggle room.
Yes, that changes it a bit. Essentially everyone in the room is a candidate, let's look at the others:

Maya - Mentor-type character, not pursuing strength as much, so no.

Aya - Hahahhaha, please.

Masataka - Most likely possibility after Souichirou and Bob. If Masataka, it still implies that either Bob or Souichirou will have heavy influence on him becoming the strongest member. More likely Souichirou since the road's paved for him that way and Masataka needs to surpass a "Dragon-user". However, I still do not think it likely. I find it a very cheesy "deceit" if that happens (even if someone thinks it's 'clever'). That only creates a very dissatisfying image of the author saying "Hah! Fooled you!" in my mind.

And yes, I also dislike Masataka.
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

Rooster wrote:Kujoe already killed Mitsuomi and Bunshinchi from the race so no need to re-address that.
Maybe Kujoe is the strongest. :lol:

Seriuosly, everything is just speculations (Jumping to conclusions is fun). Oh great has done a great job of keeping us in the dark. I just hope he surprises the hell out of us and not go all cookie cutter cliche ending on us.
Isuzu
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Isuzu »

Well, it depends if you talk about physical strength, or strength as a person.

Maya is definitely the strongest personality in the Jyuukenbu, but physically, I think that Mitsuomi remains the strongest member in the history of the club.

All in all, Bob and Nagi did not really show great talent, in most cases, they just were lucky. If Nagi wouldn't possess the skills of an exorcist, nobody would even notice him...
Bomb me, please.
solidis1
Doushi
Doushi

Post by solidis1 »

But if you put it that way, you could also say that if Bob didn't have his natural talent and the "ability to extend his tendons" he would be nothing either. Or that if Mitsuomi could fight for longer than three minutes he would be able to control the world. The fact is that that is Nagi's character.
JonWan
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by JonWan »

I think the strongest character should be Masataka. Even though I did read his narraton and even in the anime he says that. But he is from the head family, they should have some power right? Even though it may sound kind of unfair but, the strongest family should be the head family. Even if it isn't, I'm sure everyones noticed that every branch family has some special dragon move and Takayangi have none. They have that move Mitsoumi used way back when but that really doesn't qualify.
arias
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by arias »

Right; the strongest member of the Jyuukenbu might end up to be Masataka or even Bob, I won't be suprised.

After chapter 75, I was expecting the trio to dominate their respective clubs; Masataka the strongest of Jyuukenbu, Bob joining Mitsuomi and eventually dominating the current "Enforcement group" (Katana?), and Nagi joining his father and also eventually dominating his father's group. This way, it could establish a three-forked battle and give each character considerable centre stage roles, instead of them playing supporting roles to Nagi.

(SPOILER CHAPTER 76 HERE)

In Chapter 76, it seems that Bob will remain in the Jyuukenbu. Nagi's switch to his father's group seems to be possible, though, since at the end he's seen training. In the Fight 76! thread I also noted the possible new romantic dynamics that might occur. Personally, I'd prefer Nagi to stay with Aya, but given Masataka's long persistence, maybe it's time he has a piece of that hot cake ;) Hm. Things could get very interesting.
Rev
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Rev »

(SPOILER CHAPTER 76 HERE)

In Chapter 76, it seems that Bob will remain in the Jyuukenbu.
I doubt it. I guess you didn't notice when masakata told him to heal fast so he can come back and fight with group, he didn't even answer and chika even got nervous like he ready to tell them the bad news.
arias
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by arias »

Maybe you're right :) Since Maya isn't there to teach Bob the techniques, Bob was envious when Aya cut the apples. He didn't have their skills. So if things play out according to what I think might, the three-forked way might pose an interesting battle. Nagi vs Masataka vs Bob.

Hm.
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Well, if Nagi is intent in staying with F it would be interesting to see how he'll act alongside Kagiroi. That's a good combo if you ask me--especially since Kagiroi can use the Dragon's Palm alongside Nagi's Dragon Fist.

Anyway, with Nagi currently on F, it seems likely that either Bob or Masataka might have to fight him. And then there's Maya, who's once again a big question mark for me. If the purpose of her journey is getting Nagi back, then maybe she should've brought Aya with her. Then again, it's Aya who needs the training more.
arias
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by arias »

All this speculation makes it REALLY suck that the manga comes only once a month. T__T How old would I be when the manga is finally completed.. :p

Regardless, I wonder how Aya would fit into the picture if Nagi has to challenge Masataka, and if Bob challenges Nagi, it would certainly have friendship overtones. And how would Mitsuomi/Maya fit into that.. o_o;;
DojiHoturie
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by DojiHoturie »

Everyone knows that Asshat is the most powerful. Sheesh, I thought you guys would at least add him on the list~

He proves his power by rubbing his head all over Madoka!!

Oh, and I think Madoka is going to join juukenbu!!!!!! That would be pretty sexy~
Eli-kun
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Eli-kun »

Asshat has the strength to raise an army.

I think Kurei is the strongest. Just because he doesn't fight doesn't mean that he can't.
Intelligence is more of a strength than brawn. Kurei certainly has the brains.
natsume
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by natsume »

maya is the strongest she even beat the hell out of nagi and threw him from the 3rd floor
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

You should really read some more Ten Ten before making a statement like that kiddo :)
Vampire Advent
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Vampire Advent »

Banorac wrote:You should really read some more Ten Ten before making a statement like that kiddo :)
very true. My opinions from what i read in pure power its a toss up between nagi and aya for first place when they both fully master there powers they will forces to be reckoned with Masataka a close third very strong when determined has great ki manipulating skills bob is forth his natural strength is quite incredible even mitsoumi saw that.

In skill Maya has this one still but very soon she will be surpassed.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

In terms of power and stamina, Bunshichi is king. He went against a guy who, technically, can see through every move and predict the future, yet Tawara still whupped his ass.

Maya isn't really skillful, she only know how to avoid a lot of other techniques, but on her own she has a rather limited arsenal.
Vampire Advent
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Vampire Advent »

MrProphet wrote:In terms of power and stamina, Bunshichi is king. He went against a guy who, technically, can see through every move and predict the future, yet Tawara still whupped his ass.

Maya isn't really skillful, she only know how to avoid a lot of other techniques, but on her own she has a rather limited arsenal.
true but bunshichi isn't part of the jukeenbu anymore so that is why i didn't mention him.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

It's interesting how Maya started her own Jyuukenbu. I mean, Bunshichi never quit the original one. Mitsuomi just went on to become the Boss and Maya sort of just did a smash and grab on the Jyuukenbu name...
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Not to mention he whooped up a non-stoppable thunder-robo-zombie !

Tawara FTW! :D
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

MrProphet wrote:In terms of power and stamina, Bunshichi is king. He went against a guy who, technically, can see through every move and predict the future, yet Tawara still whupped his ass.
True, but I think the circumstances of that fight provided him the chance. I don't think this downplays his achievement but admittedly, I don't think Bunshichi would've won if it came down to a fight with Shin without any interuption.

As for the Jyuukenbu name--since Mitsuomi and his crew rose to power and became the Enforcement group maybe that signified leaving. After all, Shin came up with the name right?
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

kujoe wrote:True, but I think the circumstances of that fight provided him the chance. I don't think this downplays his achievement but admittedly, I don't think Bunshichi would've won if it came down to a fight with Shin without any interuption.
I don't think we've ever seen a straight-forward one-on-one by-the-book fight in this series. With the exception of maybe Mitsuomi's fight in the finals, and that wasn't against an opponent on par with him.

So far, all the fights have been pretty much brawls, with circumstances constantly shifting in real-time. The winner is the person who would be able to use this changing reality to his/her advantage.

Just look at Maya's fight against Tetsuhito. Or Nagi's fight against Ishiyumi. None of the fights we seen in detail have been fair-and-square and one-on-one. Yet we don't question the winners...

Same goes for Bunshichi. He didn't go under Shin's grueling attack. He used his opportunity and he won. That's my position.
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

I wasn't denying that Bunshichi claimed a great victory. In fact, how the fight unfolded, and how he handled it all just makes his victory all the more impressive--and in some way, significant as well.

I'm just saying that I won't simply deny that if things were any different, it's quite possible that Bunshichi would be lying on the ground with severed limbs. Shin had an unfair advantage after all.
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

I'm still waiting for Bunshichi against someone not holding back. 1, 1 on 1 fight in 14 chapters :(
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Tawara, with both his legs destroyed, defeated Shin, who had the gift of the Dragons eye ... no doubt about it, Tawara is the greatest :p
Sota
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Sota »

Banorac wrote:Tawara, with both his legs destroyed, defeated Shin, who had the gift of the Dragons eye ... no doubt about it, Tawara is the greatest :p
and shin with one hit send it to the hospital for months
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

Banorac wrote:Tawara, with both his legs destroyed, defeated Shin, who had the gift of the Dragons eye ... no doubt about it, Tawara is the greatest :p
But how would he fair against Mits??? :?
Vampire Advent
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Vampire Advent »

pv82 wrote:
He would fare extremely well or the most likely outcome whip his ass three ways till sunday. Bunshichi is the sol badguy of tenjo tenge totally lazy yet so damn strong
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

Vampire Advent wrote:
pv82 wrote:
He would fare extremely well or the most likely outcome whip his ass three ways till sunday. Bunshichi is the sol badguy of tenjo tenge totally lazy yet so damn strong
Until I see more proof, Bunshichi is all just hype as far as I'm concerned.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

That's a totally bogus argument, kk1.

By your reasoning, Madoka would totally whoop Tawara's ass, only because... well, we've never seen him beat her, right?

Seeing a fight between two people is not necessary to evaluate their strenght. There is such a thing called "comparative strenght". Based on Tawara's fights against Fu Chi'en and Shin (and in part against Nagi), we can safely say that's he'll probably beat anyone beneath their level and someone on par with them.

Plus, Tawara has the advantage of experience other everyone else. Young Guns like Nagi might think that their super technique du jour is the beat-all-end-all kind of thing, but just as Bunshichi and Maya have shown, super techniques can be easily countered.
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

The first three minutes of a Bunshichi vs. Mitsuomi fight would be great indeed--anything can happen. But after those three minutes? Uhm, anything can happen too actually...but I'm pretty sure Bunshichi can survive those three minutes with his fists alone.

The guy gave Fu a karate chop and it was practically the beginning of the end for him, whereas other characters have to make an extra effort for something like that--hence why I like the Bunshichi vs. Shin fight, because that's the only battle I've seen him actually exerting some effort.
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

MrProphet wrote:That's a totally bogus argument, kk1.

By your reasoning, Madoka would totally whoop Tawara's ass, only because... well, we've never seen him beat her, right?

Seeing a fight between two people is not necessary to evaluate their strenght. There is such a thing called "comparative strenght". Based on Tawara's fights against Fu Chi'en and Shin (and in part against Nagi), we can safely say that's he'll probably beat anyone beneath their level and someone on par with them.

Plus, Tawara has the advantage of experience other everyone else. Young Guns like Nagi might think that their super technique du jour is the beat-all-end-all kind of thing, but just as Bunshichi and Maya have shown, super techniques can be easily countered.
Well I'm not claiming he is weak, I'm just saying from what I've seen so far I'm not willing to say Bunshichi is all that incredible. Sure he's probably stronger than anyone except Nagi, Masataka, Aya, Maya and Mistuomi but against any of them I'm going to have to say he'd lose. Sure he beat Shin, but Shin was holding back. And we saw during Shin's fight with Mits when he didn't hold back that all it took was an elbow to put him in the hospital (this time after Shin had already been beaten to a bloody pulp). And we already know he said one of his only weaknesses is Maya's boobs so he'd never beat her or Aya even without the dragon eye (I may even have to throw in Emi too). :wink:
I think Mits' and Masataka's skill gives them the edge on Bunshichi. Bunshichi is raw strength and with the right skill raw strength can be beaten or even used against the person that has it.
Up until recently him beating Nagi would be no contest but now that Nagi can use his power and has all those gates it's a different story. Bunshichi just doesn't strike me as some one who has the finesse to counter red feather powers, like Maya did against Tetsuhito. (when did Bunshichi show super techniques can be easliy countered?) It's too bad Maya took out Tetsuhito because I think him without all of Makiko's powers would have been a great fight. Two bruisers just going at it.
Hollowshingami
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Hollowshingami »

If I remember correctly he was able to stop Nagi's tashinkou by putting pressure on Nagi's shoulder with his foot. Isn't the tashinkou a "super technique"? By stopping Nagi's shoulder rotation he able to counter the attack. It's not a red feather power but the tashinkou is undoubtly a strong attack.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Exactly!

Bunshichi gave Nagi a lesson in the limitations of the Forged Needle while explaining it in detail. This shows that he has quite a lot of knowledge about "secret techniques".

And he was just joking about the "boobs". I am sure that he'd beat Aya and Emi any given day. Maya might be more of a problem, but hey, Maya is weaker than Fu, while Tawara beat Fu. Hence, that makes Maya (without the Reiki) weaker that Tawara.
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

MrProphet wrote: Exactly!

Bunshichi gave Nagi a lesson in the limitations of the Forged Needle while explaining it in detail. This shows that he has quite a lot of knowledge about "secret techniques".
Pfft that's just experience against someone who had just learned a new technique, what one week earlier? A technique he'd seen for years, from Mitsuomi, Maya and Shin. Nagi is a little more experienced in all his powers now and I'd really like to know where Bunshichi would have seen all these red feather powers used, did he follow Makiko around as she collected them?

MrProphet wrote:
And he was just joking about the "boobs".
:roll: so was I...
MrProphet wrote:
I am sure that he'd beat Aya and Emi any given day. Maya might be more of a problem, but hey, Maya is weaker than Fu, while Tawara beat Fu. Hence, that makes Maya (without the Reiki) weaker that Tawara.
Maya was weaker 2 years ago (and only because she didn't know about his power plus it was 5 on 1) I guess she hasn't improved in that time? Plus if it wasn't for Masatka zombie Fu would have blown up and taken Bunshichi with him...
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

I am pretty sure Tawara improved just as much... 8)
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

MrProphet wrote:I am pretty sure Tawara improved just as much... 8)
Uhh he just beat Fu now, not 2 years ago :roll:
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

And the problem with Tawara beating Fu with one uppercut?
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Face it, you don't need super powers to be a hero, Tawara for 'legendary super warrior' :P

Ennewee, I just read volume 12 again, got it in the store on wednesday, you should read the last few chapters over, where they talk about 'super kids' and people who can beat them without such powers.
Though Masataka gets snake feared by watching Aya and Fu using their powers on eachother D: