I am utterly lost.

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

agmaster
Tamashii
Tamashii

I am utterly lost.

Post by agmaster »

Alright, I stumbled across this page a couple of years ago and every so often, I followed the manga series as FT translated because it seemed good enough. Pretty straightforward stuff, using details to take up pages, rather than excessive confusion.

Then, the flashback came. Being a big fan of the current kids, I wasn't really all that enticed to view it, although I am glad for knowing how Asshat joined. But still, backstory is backstory, so I really had no complaints about that.

And after that, I'm all hyped up for this tournament, a resolution in a series this soon... and then, I don't even know what happened. With the red feathers and the kidnapping, and stuff and betrayals and things. It would be alright if I understood ANY of the new people's motivation, but I really have no clue what is going on now? I have up to volume 12 and everytime I look at it, the train just kind of derails around when sword girl attacks Bob.

So, I'm coming here to you guys to bessed you to be so kind as to explain what is going on. I can't even say it in a more specific sense, because the series is so heavily interconnected that I'm sure slot 6-d is touching bolt 3-a.

Thanks for any help that gets thrown my way.
They call me Hadoken, because I'm downright fierce.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Yeah, it does go into a radically new direction when F appears, but we are still under the impression (hopeless delusion I say!) that we'll see the Tournament some time down the road.

All of this adventure is sort of a diversion. Although this diversion has long ago turned into the main plot.

Still, I hope to see the Tournament some day...
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

Ask away.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

One thing I would like to do at some point is put together summaries for each chapter. It isn't something I could do on my own, but if people would write them, I could collect and post them somewhere.
EliteF22
Senpai
Senpai

Post by EliteF22 »

Hey, sure I'd help out. I get bored during class lectures anyway. But how long should each summary be?
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

I'll give you a little summary from after Maya and Mitsuomi agreed to settle things at the Tournement. At first it seemed F was just another group helping Mitsuomi, but slowly it was revealed they had their own agenda and it wasn't helping Mitsuomi. It was also revealed that what was going on at school (Mitsuomi vs. Maya) was really just part of something bigger involving the 12 founding families who support the Takayanagis. It turned out the person behind F who also had a hand in helping Mitsuomi oust his father as head of the Takayangi family was Souhaku Kago, Souichiro's father(who is the head of one of the 12 founding familes on the red feather side). Souhaku had dissapeared 8 years ago after cutting off Makiko's arm but has reappeared to take his son, to continue his plans he started with Makiko. So most of what's been going on with F etc has been stuff Souhaku has been doing that havenet really been fully revealed yet. So basically everything F is doing is to help Souhaku who is (was) working on some plan against the 12 families. And up to vol 12 most of that was them going after a computer chip with information from the Takayanagi's computer that was taken during Mitsuomi's coup.
Since you only read up to vol 12 it's understandable why you are confused since most of this has been revealed in vol 13 and 14. Which has cumlminated in everyone getting sick of Souhaku and his intefereing with the tournement(which as of the latest chapters is a week away) and going to confront him.
agmaster
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by agmaster »

MrProphet pretty much summed up what I know. I see the the overlying story of what is going on, but the details are where I get lost.

So, kk1, here are some of my questions.

What is Nagi's father trying to do?
Since when did the sheath gain access to special powers dealing with Reiki?
Did Bob join Mitsuomi yet?
I thought Fu Chien was dead.....twice now.
How many powers did the guy who just got cut in half, have?
Who was the girl with the heavily kicking based style who looked like a shirt ninja?
I thought F worked with Mitsuomi, not Nagi's father.
And why did he all of a sudden decide to lop off the old man's head? (chances are, he isn't dead, though.)

As far as I can tell, OG originally was going to do the tournament line, but got lost in explaining the 'special' people. By the time the tournament rolls around, I don't see most of these people being alive still, let alone fighting each other.
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

agmaster wrote: MrProphet pretty much summed up what I know. I see the the overlying story of what is going on, but the details are where I get lost.

So, kk1, here are some of my questions.

What is Nagi's father trying to do?
Overall it's still not clear, but as part of that plan he has been "feeding" the powers of other people to Nagi. Something he tried before with Nagi's mom but had to abandon because her body wasn't strong enough to handle all that power, which led him to transfer those powers into Tetsuhito's body.
Souhaku seems to be bent on ridding the world of either the red feather or all 12 of the founding families, though as I said it's still not clear.

agmaster wrote:
Since when did the sheath gain access to special powers dealing with Reiki?
If you mean Maya, she never did, it was Aya who activated Reiki. So far only users of the dragon eye, Aya and Shin have been shown to be able to activate Reiki.

agmaster wrote:
Did Bob join Mitsuomi yet?
No,but we haven't seen Bob since the end of vol 12. (wow even I didn't realize it's been 2 whole volumes without him now)

agmaster wrote:
I thought Fu Chien was dead.....twice now.
Yes he is dead, after the fight with Masataka, Tetsuhito put the finishing touches on him.
agmaster wrote:
How many powers did the guy who just got cut in half, have?
Kagiori Tetsuhito used only 3 named powers(named as in from which family they came from) 1 unnamed and had his own separate from what he recieved from Makiko (the "iron fist" and being impervious to metal) however in fight 86 Aya mentioned him having at least 50 powers, though it was kinda vague if she meant 50 gates or not., though I'm inclined to believe that is what she meant.
agmaster wrote:
Who was the girl with the heavily kicking based style who looked like a shirt ninja?
Shizuru Kamura, one of the people Souhaku brought in as "meat" to feed to Souichiro.

agmaster wrote:
I thought F worked with Mitsuomi, not Nagi's father.
It appeared that way at first but it was revealed that all of F were the current leaders of of the 6 white feather families who rose to that position by ousting their parents it seems now with the help of Souhaku either indirectly by providing the financial and technological means through Mitsuomi like with Mataza or through killing of their parents and them brain washing them like with Madoka. Souhaku created F for his own purposes.

agmaster wrote:
And why did he all of a sudden decide to lop off the old man's head? (chances are, he isn't dead, though.)
It seems Mitsuomi finally got sick of Souhaku's interference and with the Election Tournement less than a week away finally had to act. It seems from his meeting with Inoue that Mitsuomi was never looked upon by Souhaku as anything more than a pawn like everyone else, Mitsuomi knew this and finally decided to show he'd been underestimated and was no pawn but had his own agenda.

agmaster wrote:
As far as I can tell, OG originally was going to do the tournament line, but got lost in explaining the 'special' people. By the time the tournament rolls around, I don't see most of these people being alive still, let alone fighting each other.

I just see it as most people assumed it was all about the tournement and OG got sidetracjked but I see it as there was always this underlying bigger story that was always the real story and most people just didn't see it. There are little hints thrown thourout from the very beginning that the red feather powered "special" people was always the main story.
yes/no
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by yes/no »

questions

1) Red feathers are powers yes? there are 7 dragon powers and red side has 6 of them, dragon fist/punch is nagi family side and is not included. Does that mean Nagi is not a red feather family? Makiko is the head of Nagi family so what family is souhaku head of?

2) Madoka said F was established 8 years ago when most of the dragon gates were awakening to follow Mitsuomi, but how is that possible when most of them are younger than Mitsuomi?

3) F are white feather family or red feather? How come some of them have dragon gate when only red have them? Ishiyumi is red feather right? Is his water dragon bullet attac, one of the 7 powers or is it an elemental?

4) Did the guy Mataza. one with 8 arms and spears die?

5) From the diagram of the dragon gates, there are 7 of them that run down through the middle from the head - crouch, 5 inbetween are elemental and the outer ones are something else. Are these the Dragon gates that grant them the fist/palm/eye/claw/leg/roar powers? If so shouldn't some of those gates be near the arms and legs? And do the elements have anything to do with the powers?

6) What was the point of Ishiyumi as a F when hes so loyal to Mitsuomi? What was the point of reviving Fu Chien? And what was the point of bringing back Asshat into the Dojo? He's quite useless and way weaker than the rest, he's not going to do much and hes not funny, alien kid is at least smart.

7) How does Souhaku have more power than Dougen when he rules of him? Why didn't Souhaku give himself enhancements for more powers like Kagiro or instead of Kagiro himself?

8) Is Shinn really alive as a ghost? Hes appeared 3 times now, talk with Aya, talk with Bunshichi and talk with Maya. There were hints that he actually visited Aya though like the dragon medal that he left behind.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

yes/no wrote:questions

1) Red feathers are powers yes? there are 7 dragon powers and red side has 6 of them, dragon fist/punch is nagi family side and is not included. Does that mean Nagi is not a red feather family? Makiko is the head of Nagi family so what family is souhaku head of?
No. There are 8 Dragon Gates: Spirit, Metal, Wood, Wind, Fire, Water, Earth and The 8th Gate.

The 8th Gate in itself is subdivided into 6 major power: Dragon Eye, Dragon Fist, etc. One for each Red Family.

Each of those 6 families has several vassal families. Each of them too has a minor power, coming from the 8th Dragon Gate: Dragon Pupil, Dragon Claw, Dragon Roar, and so on.

Nagi Clan is one of the 6 Red Families, he has both the Dragon Fist, which is a 8th Dragon Gate variation of his family, AND an Earth Gate, which is a regular gate available to everyone with enough practice.

Makiko is the head of Nagi Clan. Souhaku is the head of Kago Clan. His full name is Kago Souhaku Jyouun.
2) Madoka said F was established 8 years ago when most of the dragon gates were awakening to follow Mitsuomi, but how is that possible when most of them are younger than Mitsuomi?
No, that is not correct. The powers of the F were awakened 8 years ago, just as Shin's Dragon Eye. The did not come together as F untill some time later on.
3) F are white feather family or red feather? How come some of them have dragon gate when only red have them? Ishiyumi is red feather right? Is his water dragon bullet attac, one of the 7 powers or is it an elemental?
F are the heirs of the 5 White Families: Ishiyumi, Kabuto, Tsumuji, Kagiroi Mawari (the 6th White Family Heir is so far hidden from us).

White Families specialize in weapons and hand-to-hand combat, but as everyone else, they can access the 7 "normal" Dragon Gates. Ishiyumi's gate is Water, it is NOT the 8th gate that is reserved to the Red Families.

Additionaly, some of the F are of mixed blood, like Tsumuji Mataza, whose mother was one of the minor Red vassal families. He inherited his 8th Dragon Gate, Dragon Claw, from her.

All elemental attacks are also part of the regular 7 Dragon Gates. Electricity is a power coming from the Earth Gate (Souichiro and Fu Chi'en both use it), while Aya and Tessen can use the Water Gate.
4) Did the guy Mataza. one with 8 arms and spears die?
No, he is still alive. Just recuperating together with Makiko and his father in the forest retreat.
5) From the diagram of the dragon gates, there are 7 of them that run down through the middle from the head - crouch, 5 inbetween are elemental and the outer ones are something else. Are these the Dragon gates that grant them the fist/palm/eye/claw/leg/roar powers? If so shouldn't some of those gates be near the arms and legs? And do the elements have anything to do with the powers?
They are all elemental - spirit and metal are considered elements in the Chinese system.

As for the fist/eye/etc. - they are coming from the 8th gate that is reserved to Red Families and their vassals. There are major and minor powers coming from the 8th gate. Founding families like Nagi and Natsume get the major powers. Vassal families like Enmi get the minor powers.
6) What was the point of Ishiyumi as a F when hes so loyal to Mitsuomi? What was the point of reviving Fu Chien? And what was the point of bringing back Asshat into the Dojo? He's quite useless and way weaker than the rest, he's not going to do much and hes not funny, alien kid is at least smart.
Ishiyumi was sent to school to spy on Mitsuomi, thus he became closer with him, eventually switching his allegiance from Souhaku to Mitsuomi.

Fu Chi'en was revived because he had powers and Kago didn't want to trip his own hand by revealing his soldiers - Kagiroi and Kabuto beforehand.

Asshat was brought back because Maya needed 6 people to compete in the Tournament. Asshat was just handy and a friendly face. And anyway, Mitsuomi pretty much subverted or destroyed other powerful people in the school, so Maya didn't have many people to choose from.
7) How does Souhaku have more power than Dougen when he rules of him? Why didn't Souhaku give himself enhancements for more powers like Kagiro or instead of Kagiro himself?
Dougen is a Takayanagi and an old man, anyway. Apart from his knowledge, Dougen doesn't have much personal strenght anymore.

Souhaku, on the other hand, is the head of one of the Red Families and possesses and Dragon Gate.

As for the Kagiroi, I think that Souhaku didn't want to go mad by having so many Dragon Gates inside. Also, Kagiroi was a test subject. And Souhaku seems to be quite powerful on his own, without Makiko's eye.

I hope this settles your questions.
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

MrProphet wrote: questions

No, that is not correct. The powers of the F were awakened 8 years ago, just as Shin's Dragon Eye. The did not come together as F untill some time later on.
No he's right Madoka did say F was established 8 years ago when "Mi-chan" was in elementary school. But still so what, Ishiyumi (2 years) and Madoka (3 years) and probably Mataza (at least 1 year), Mits was 10 and they were 8, 7 and 9 it just shows you how long they've been under Souhaku's control.
MrProphet wrote:
They are all elemental - spirit and metal are considered elements in the Chinese system.

As for the fist/eye/etc. - they are coming from the 8th gate that is reserved to Red Families and their vassals. There are major and minor powers coming from the 8th gate. Founding families like Nagi and Natsume get the major powers. Vassal families like Enmi get the minor powers.
They are all referred to as dragon gates but the 8th dragon gate of the red feather families is located in the specific location of it's power. The dragon eye agte is in Aya's eye, Nagi's dragon fist is in his fist. The 7 that run down the middle from the head are the normal ones that anyone can have and yes the elements are necessary to use them. The earth gate can not be opened when not in contact with the ground (Masataka knocks Fu Chi'en off his feet so his gate can't be used), the water gate requires water etc. The 8th gate only requires the skill to use ones ki to open it.

MrProphet wrote:
Ishiyumi was sent to school to spy on Mitsuomi, thus he became closer with him, eventually switching his allegiance from Souhaku to Mitsuomi.

Asshat was brought back because Maya needed 6 people to compete in the Tournament. Asshat was just handy and a friendly face. And anyway, Mitsuomi pretty much subverted or destroyed other powerful people in the school, so Maya didn't have many people to choose from.
Ishiyumi wasn't originally loyal but Mits won him over.

Bringing Asshat back was Souichiro's and Bob's idea because they figured they needed as many people as they could get, Maya herself actually said he's completely worthless and everyone there was 1 million times stronger than him. They actually already had 6 with Kurei and didn't need him, though originally that's the only reason he was ever in the JyuukenBu back when Shin was the leader so they would have enough members for the election tournement which is 5 anyway, not 6.
MrProphet wrote:
Dougen is a Takayanagi and an old man, anyway. Apart from his knowledge, Dougen doesn't have much personal strenght anymore.

Souhaku, on the other hand, is the head of one of the Red Families and possesses and Dragon Gate.
I don't understand the question?
yes/no
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by yes/no »

Wasn't there only 5 elements? Maya said wood, fire, water, earth, and wind(?).

And for 7), I actually meant commanding power.
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

yes/no wrote:Wasn't there only 5 elements? Maya said wood, fire, water, earth, and wind(?).

And for 7), I actually meant commanding power.
That's what I thought, Dougen was the head of the Takayanagis who are supported by the 12 families, therefore Dougen was the richest and most powerful(and as Dougen explained in the present you only need the support of the white feathers as the red's powers are no longer important). Souhaku (if you're referring to back when Dougen took Shin) was alone not supported by anyone (except his wife Makiko) he wasn't powerful enough to go against everyone (though it was him killing off the family leaders it seems no one knew it or else I assume they would have stopped him then) and of course now their roles are reversed with Dougen alone and the white fethers leaders (F) backing Souhaku.

Makiko said the 7 dragons govern the powers of the elements, though she named 6 including metal and air, but leaving out earth, so there are 7 corresponding elements though what the diffence between air and wind is I don't know. I would just assume you can't use an air gate underwater or a wind gate when there's no wind.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

I think Air Tiger Hidden Spirits Dragon is of the Spirit element. Or else, like you said, what's the difference of Air and Wind anyway?
agmaster
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by agmaster »

Well, all of my questions were answered. Despite that I still feel like I don't understand this story. Maybe I'm thinking too small, but the grand scope of this escapes me. I normally like stories told from different angles the best, but apparently there can be too much of a good thing.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

I don't know. Personally, I have no problem seeing the "bigger picture". If you read the manga chapter by chapter and actually READ it, I think it shouldn't be a problem understanding the details. And if you forget something, you can always look back.

But maybe it's different for everyone...
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Indeed, the story can be confusing sometimes but after reading the older chapters a second time, it became clearer for me. Some people may think the story is a bunch of convoluted hogwash, while others could probably enjoy the story with all its layers here and there, but in the end, the main story really isn't that confusing.

It's probably because of the extra details--all this red feather gates, white feather families, the terminology, etc. can really get confusing sometimes. But the basic, main story itself shouldn't be that hard. Discussing it now and then certainly helps as well.
yes/no
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by yes/no »

I got couple more questions I forgot to ask

1) That guy with the long staff and stutters when he speaks, why did Izuru order him to kill Ishiyumi and why wasn't that guy mad at him when Ishiyumi was at the hospital?

2) Madoka said F was established 8 years ago, but wasn't it only created when they overthrew their parents 2 years ago? Or their children were F behind their back... and why did they choose to overthrow their parents at the same time Mitsuomi did.

3) Is Shinn really alive as a ghost? Hes appeared 3 times now, talk with Aya, talk with Bunshichi and talk with Maya. There were hints that he actually visited Aya though like the dragon medal that he left behind.

4) How did the transexual get to be Mitsuomi's bodyguard when there are others in Enforcer group that are stronger than him?

5) Madoka calls Souhaku papa but also loves him.... she wants to marry her papa?

6) Is that necklace thing Madoka has and in Fu Chien's eyes, Dragon Gates?
EliteF22
Senpai
Senpai

Post by EliteF22 »

yes/no wrote:1) That guy with the long staff and stutters when he speaks, why did Izuru order him to kill Ishiyumi and why wasn't that guy mad at him when Ishiyumi was at the hospital?
He considers himself a samurai, bound to Mitsuomi and the Enforcement group. Isuzu didn't trust Ishiyumi and so ordered the staff guy to attack him. He personally has nothing against Ishiyumi, so he wouldn't be mad at Ishiyumi for beating him.
yes/no wrote:2) Madoka said F was established 8 years ago, but wasn't it only created when they overthrew their parents 2 years ago? Or their children were F behind their back... and why did they choose to overthrow their parents at the same time Mitsuomi did.
Someone else already answered the first part of your question further up. Why they chose to overthrow their parents at the sametime was probably because none of the other heads of the families would have supported Mits, so inorder to ensure that Mits had complete control Souhaku had the kids overthrow their parents also and take control.
yes/no wrote:3) Is Shinn really alive as a ghost? Hes appeared 3 times now, talk with Aya, talk with Bunshichi and talk with Maya. There were hints that he actually visited Aya though like the dragon medal that he left behind.

I'm more inclined to think that the visit to Bunshichi was just Bunshichi remembering Shin. But yeah it looks like Shinn is a ghost or spirit or something visiting his sisters and trying to help them. He could be tied to Reiki somehow, since on both those occasions Reiki was there when he appeared.
yes/no wrote:4) How did the transexual get to be Mitsuomi's bodyguard when there are others in Enforcer group that are stronger than him?
He's not transexual, he's gay and he's pretty strong.[/quote]
lagowe
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by lagowe »

Why did Kagiro thank Masataka for beating Fu Chien?
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

EliteF22 wrote:
yes/no wrote:
yes/no wrote:2) Madoka said F was established 8 years ago, but wasn't it only created when they overthrew their parents 2 years ago? Or their children were F behind their back... and why did they choose to overthrow their parents at the same time Mitsuomi did.
Someone else already answered the first part of your question further up. Why they chose to overthrow their parents at the sametime was probably because none of the other heads of the families would have supported Mits, so inorder to ensure that Mits had complete control Souhaku had the kids overthrow their parents also and take control.

OK it was started 8 years ago, but that doesn't mean it was complete or had all it's members 8 years ago, just started. Tetsuhito was obviously there 8 years ago and I'm asuming Madoka's parents were killed 8 years ago since the pic of Souhaku standing over their bodies looks like how he dressed 8 years ago. We don't know about Kabuto and Ishiyumi but Mataza was only able to overthrow his father 2 years ago because that's when he got the backing of the Takayanagi's money and technology after Mitsuomi took over. I'm sure Souhaku did each family differently when the opportunity presented itself.

EliteF22 wrote:
yes/no wrote:
yes/no wrote:3) Is Shinn really alive as a ghost? Hes appeared 3 times now, talk with Aya, talk with Bunshichi and talk with Maya. There were hints that he actually visited Aya though like the dragon medal that he left behind.

I'm more inclined to think that the visit to Bunshichi was just Bunshichi remembering Shin. But yeah it looks like Shinn is a ghost or spirit or something visiting his sisters and trying to help them. He could be tied to Reiki somehow, since on both those occasions Reiki was there when he appeared.

Alive as a ghost? No he's dead as a ghost though ;) Ghosts seem to be real in the TenTen universe, even Shin's parents came back and talked to him, and even Aya heard them.
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

lagowe wrote:Why did Kagiro thank Masataka for beating Fu Chien?
He said the thanks was to God for meeting a worthy opponent, he can't enjoy it if his opponents are weaklings. He explained it 4 pages later did you stop reading?
Halon
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Halon »

The story isnt that hard to follow, in the beginning they thought the enforcers were the only bad guys until they met the "F" team which was working for Souhaku which is the true bad guy. The enforcers are nothin more than a step in they plans.