Air Gear Anime!

You can talk about random stuff here - for example, Yui Toshiki's Kagome Kagome, or just other random stuff.
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Air Gear Anime!

Post by moyism »

Oh Great!'s (Tenjho Tenge) latest manga Air Gear will be adapted to an anime TV series in 2006. The news comes from some some recent print ads (such as the one to the right) for the manga. Details are expected to be revealed in an upcoming issue of Kodansha's Shonen Magazine where Air Gear serializes.
http://www.animenewsservice.com/

sweet!
Inkthinker
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Inkthinker »

I'd like to dream that they'd do a better job of matching his style than TJTG did...

I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner, but maybe they were just waiting for him to establish enough of it first.
Hollowshingami
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Hollowshingami »

So far there's over 100 plus chapters. So we don't have to worry about it getting filleritis for the first couple of seasons anyway. 8)
deadleaf6
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by deadleaf6 »

Air Gear is probably one of my favorite manga. I sure hope they do a good job.....unlike they Tenjo :cry:
Hollowshingami
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Hollowshingami »

Looks like it will start to air in the spring according to the first page of chapter 116.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

More news about the hot topic of the month: Air Gear (in various incarnations).

The animation will be produced by TOEI (no excitement here!)

The director will be Mr. Hajime Kamegaki of Fushigi Yuugi and Ayashi no Ceres fame. Well, he didn't screw up Yuu Watase, maybe he won't screw up Oh! great. 8)

The script will be written by Ms. Chiaki Konaka, who did quite a lot of work: Armitage III, BGC2040, Hellsing, RahXephon, Lain, Texhnolyze. Lots of cyberpunk anime, as you can see. We'll see what she can do with shounen.

The character designs will be done by Mr. Masahiro Sato. He has an impressive resume of work on stuff like Ghost in the Shell, Peacemaker Kurogane, Armitage III, Blood, Sousei no Aquarion, Noein, Mahoromatic. Lots of Production I.G. and Satellite work, so I expect something good out of the guy.
Hollowshingami
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Hollowshingami »

Honestly, my biggest worry is the character design. After what happend to TT.....But it looks like they have some very talented staff working on this show, considering the pedigree of a couple of those guys. It looks like it'll end up being a faithful adaption. But we won't know until it starts airing. Sorry, bad pun. :twisted:
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

I am terribly sorry to disappoint you, but here it is:

http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/airgear/

I don't know about you guys, but personally, I find Anime Ringo to be horrible. I mean, this is Ringo?!?! Ikki's somewhat off too, but not as badly as Ringo.

PS Seems like I am now the bearer of news on Air Gear anime. Well, gotta keep myself busy with something, with TJTG being so far between. 8)
Dembol
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Dembol »

Well, we barely can see ringo on that picture (unless there are some clickable places that I missed), but my impression is that her hair are weird and Ikki's smile looks scary.
Hollowshingami
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Hollowshingami »

We'll have to wait for the first episode and see how it is. :? Buccha is wearing a pink and white shirt...lol I guess there was bound to be some problems. For some reason Ikki's smile seems kinda generic.
jboncha
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by jboncha »

I'm really liking the Air Gear manga & I cant wiat to see how the anime turns out.

J B
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Man....

Man... I'm speechless.

Mikan looks alright. But what the hell did they do to SIMCA!?!?!?!?!
Dembol
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Dembol »

FTW?! Is the raw out or something?! Previews? Trailers?
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Dembol wrote:FTW?! Is the raw out or something?! Previews? Trailers?
No, ep. 1 is out in one week.

The screencaps can be attributed to ZA PAWAA of the 2ch. 8)
Dembol
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Dembol »

Found a couple more on 4chan. I never thought that it can serve as an information source :)
Simca:
Ringo:
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Wow, thanks a lot!

Is there a chance that they'll get it right this time? Real Simca and Ringo look good. 8)
jboncha
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by jboncha »

Wow.
Those screencaps are looking really good.
Hopefully as soon the episodes start airing & they get subbed someone will post up links to them in this thread... :wink:

J B
miyagiCE
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by miyagiCE »

Eww... I knew it... they screwed up big time.
Ringo's hair is brown.
Brown != Red.
You get that Toei...?
strid3r
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by strid3r »

I like the screencaps as well. Anyone know if any groups have announced plans to do the series?
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Here's an insert from the latest manga chapter (122).

http://mrprophet.com/images/airgear/apr ... -anime.jpg

You can see Anime Agito and Ikki, and some of the seiyuus. Agito looks even girlier than in the manga. 8)
Last edited by MrProphet on Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

MrProphet wrote:Here's an insert from the latest manga chapter (122).

http://mrprophet.com/images/airgear/air ... -anime.jpg

You can see Anime Agito and Ikki, and some of the seiyuus. Agito looks even girlier than in the manga. 8)
Rie Tanaka as Simca... sweet!
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Mataza-kun
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Mataza-kun »

Sorry if I ask, but where do you find raw chapters after 101? Or did you scan these (that page and the other chapter you linked long ago) yourself?
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

All over the place, actually.

Jojohot's forum has a chapter each time usually, and if not, there are other places.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

jboncha
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by jboncha »

MrProphet wrote:First episode is out: http://datorrents.com/download.asp?id=8 ... vi.torrent
Its just the raw, yeah?
I might check out the visuals but I'm also eagerly awaiting the fansub as well because I dont know Japanese.

J B
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Well, that was unexpected. For one thing, they've totally recombined and messed up the storyline. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, but I certainly never saw it coming.

The first episode was all over the place:

- Scull Saders storyline was moved from place to place (some of it is actually done in flashback)
- Introduction of the sisters, Ikki and Simca
- Ikki learns that Noyamano sisters do Air Trek, so gets into it himself.
- Ikki gets to a meeting place where stormriders meet
- We get to see... wow... Spitfire (this early on?)... Kaito and Agito (what the hell are they doing here this early in the game?)
- Then it goes straight into the Sleeping Forest and Ikki vs. Scull Saders.

As you can see, the anime doesn't follow the manga to the letter. Even much less so than Tenjou Tenge, which had it's own share of rearrangements. But it actually feels fresh and interesting this way and we get straight into action, instead of just messing around with introductions.

What they did right?

- Air Trek! Animation isn't so good in general, but they did get AT right almost from start to finish. Seeming it animated, even if not great, is still very nice. They didn't put sky high production values in it, but they got the spirit and the idea right.

- The humor. It's unbelievable funny. Even funnier that the original in some respect. The fanservice shots were pure gold. 8)

- Ringo, Mikan and Ume are spot on, especially Ringo, who just shines as the perfect meganekko girl-next-door.

- Ikki is the correct mixture of annoying, stupid, cocky and adorable. Same thing goes for Kazu and Onigiri. Kazu is almost a copy of Oh! great's art. Onigiri is even uglier, which is hard to believe. 8)

- Simca is just perfect. Tanaka Rie just nails that one, from the flirting to the surprise at Ikki's daring. She then leads him on like a baby.

- There was very little of the Wanijima brothers, but it did seem like Agito and Kaito were done right.

- Music is great. It's different stuff, ranging from rap, techno, house, nu-metal, funk, ska, other stuff, but the show is peppered with "cool" tunes. Nothing less to be expected from Avex Mode, I guess. It's very fitting to the whole extreme rollerblading theme of the show.

What's not so good?

- Character design and animation is rather sloppy at several points. It felt like is was subcontracted to some weird douga studio that got some of the stuff right on target, but just doesn't have the skillz to make a polished gem. It just looks sometwhat B-class, even though it's a very nice B-class

- Spitfire. OMFG!!!! Spitfire is supposed to be blond, not a flaming red-head. And when I say "red-head", I mean RED! He just looks hilariously wrong. 8)

- Rika. She looks nothing like her manga counterpart. Not that she is all that bad (there's very little of her), but she doesn't feel like Rika at all. But then again, we aren't going to see the Real Rika for some time, if it goes according to the manga.

Is it worth watching? For the fans of the manga, a resolute yes. For all others? Well, maybe not, but see if you are interested and decide on your own.

It's definitely not a 5-star show, but it's hilarious and it looks like a nice distraction from the "heavy" shows this season.

I used to absolutely hate Air Gear because of how non-sensical and plotless it was, but turned to appreciate that very nature of the manga. It's just a thing to relax, something just to enjoy briefly for the humor and the T&A and then forget it.

FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

so when is this show on? I doubt I would catch it in real life due to the hours that I'm working, but I'm curious if it is in one of those crazy 1am slots or what.
Starakin
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Starakin »

it's really aired at 1am o_O
http://www.mahou.org/Showtime/#Soon
Dembol
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Dembol »

I just watched the raw. Wow! It looks good (,but TJTG also looked good at first ;) ).

I liked the sound. Especially the guitar opening, but what pissed me off that to a dynamic and fast song the OP animation is somewhat static (i.e. not much going on). In the episode itself the music was also good. Voice actors are rather well chosen except for the fat Ikki's friend (sorry, I'm bad with remembering character names),m I always thought that his voice should be lower (just your typical fatguy voice). My favourite voices are definetely Simca and Ume.
I also enjoyed the storyline mix-up. What pissed me off in the manga that there's little action and plot development for the first couple of volumes. The studio probably decided that in order to lure viewers who didn't see the manga they must speed it up and so far it's ok.
Animation looks decent where it counts (action scenes...I loved the scene where Simca jumps from her usual training spot in the air (or whatever that was)) apart from that it sometimes looks weird and sloppy, but it doesn't matter.
It was quite funny. I didn't get most of the dialogues (since my JP is poor), but situation humour made me laugh.

MrProphet:Spitfire wasn't that bad and he doesn't appear that much anyway.

Overall: Looks nice. If they keep it up then we might get a really good anime.
Hollowshingami
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Hollowshingami »

Has there been a specific episode count announced for the show? That might be a good indication of whether or not they'll try to pull off 'rushed like a bitch' ending like TT.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Not really.

But, considering that they almost finished an entire 1st volume in one episode, you can make your calculations.
jboncha
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by jboncha »

Hollowshingami wrote:Has there been a specific episode count announced for the show?
Dunno... :?:

I'd guess 25 or 26 episodes.
What does it say here --> http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/airgear/
What does it specifically say around that "25"?
Can someone translate that?

J B
miyagiCE
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by miyagiCE »

This is what I think about it. :|
[23:28:11] <miyagiCE> Cronax: http://mangaforums.org/showthread.php?t=1800
[23:30:37] <Cronax> keke
[23:30:39] <Cronax> it can be good
[23:30:51] <miyagiCE> I doubt that 200%
[23:33:43] <Yum22Yum23> owch
[23:33:47] <Yum22Yum23> ikki's voice sux
[23:33:54] <Yum22Yum23> the colors are weird
[23:34:30] <Yum22Yum23> and they want us to think it's techolized with heavy 3d for the air trek design but evrrything is just half assedly drawn
[23:35:07] <miyagiCE> I couldn't have worded that better Yum22Yum23
[23:35:24] <miyagiCE> He perfectly put all 200 percent of my doubts in 3 neat sentences
[23:35:27] <miyagiCE> Well done
[23:35:29] * miyagiCE claps
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

jboncha wrote:
Hollowshingami wrote:Has there been a specific episode count announced for the show?
Dunno... :?:

I'd guess 25 or 26 episodes.
What does it say here --> http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/airgear/
What does it specifically say around that "25"?
Can someone translate that?

J B
It says that Air Gear has been made into an anime, and it starts broadcast at 25:00 o'clock, a ridiculous way the Japanese have of saying 1am. Nothing about how many episodes there are.
Hollowshingami
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Hollowshingami »

Despite the ugly CG they used and some of the other problems I'll keep on watching it. There's nothing else from the new anime season that has grabbed me yet.
deadleaf6
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by deadleaf6 »

Hollowshingami wrote:Despite the ugly CG they used and some of the other problems I'll keep on watching it. There's nothing else from the new anime season that has grabbed me yet.
ugly ugly ugly CG and general blending of animation. And of course, the fact that the plot is probably the most rushed story i have ever seen. Definitely prefer the manga.
protocol7
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by protocol7 »

I personally love air gear but the anime is too jumbled.like a chapter stew seeing chapters mixed in from all over the place.

musy admit i like to see it animated but compared to the manga it's crap.

OH great u just set the bar too high for these toei bastards.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

man that first episode was dumb. I would have enjoyed it more if I didn't understand Japanese. The premise that one unknown dude could have so much more potential and ability than people who've clearly devoted a lot of time to their sport is so over-done and unbelievable, even if I do relent to suspend my disbelief on rollerblades that let you ignore physics, the underlying story is bad.

but, the girls are hot, so I'll keep my eyes open for it. damned if I'll stay up to 1am to watch it when it's on tv though.
strid3r
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by strid3r »

FuguTabetai wrote:man that first episode was dumb...
Just wait for the second episode. :lol:
Hollowshingami
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Hollowshingami »

Hopefully, it gets better later. Although it'd be nice if they'd stop fucking with it. >_>
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

Hollowshingami wrote:Hopefully, it gets better later. Although it'd be nice if they'd stop fucking with it. >_>
that's gonna be a long wait. Watched episode 3 and wasn't really impressed :(
Hollowshingami
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Hollowshingami »

At this rate it can only get worse. I am not amused.
miyagiCE
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by miyagiCE »

Haha, I can't comprehend how you guys even HOPED this was gonna be any good. I mean, it was so obvious it would suck.
Hollowshingami
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Hollowshingami »

I was hoping because I like Air Gear. The series doesn't really pick up till later on so I'm going to skim the raws to see if Toei picks up the slack.
bubblegum2000
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by bubblegum2000 »

I nearly had a heart attack when I saw what they did to Spitfire's hair :shock:

I knew they would do something ugly but it's not as bad as I expected it to be. Ikki is okay, Kazu is horrible sometimes, Simca rocks, Agito and his brother seem totally crazy... I guess the anime is okay then.

But really, why did they do that to Spitfire?
Hollowshingami
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Hollowshingami »

It was a decision on the studio's part, I guess and the host of other problems.
Sleepy Weasel
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Sleepy Weasel »

after watching the first 3... I think I like the manga a lot better :P

even tho I have not read it all yet. btw, why air at 1am?!
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

Sleepy Weasel wrote:after watching the first 3... I think I like the manga a lot better :P

even tho I have not read it all yet. btw, why air at 1am?!
most anime air late at night. Part of the reason is the time block is the cheapest.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Air Gear anime is slowly growing on me.

It's still lame and messes the story badly, but it has cute moments that are to die for. 8)