Anybody else growing weary?

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

Prince843
Yuurei
Yuurei

Anybody else growing weary?

Post by Prince843 »

Hey there, I've just be musing a little bit about this series and was wondering if anybody else had similar thoughts.

Now I don't know about everybody else but I'm really getting bored of the story. Hell I don't even understand it anymore, it's so complex now it's really absurd. I've watched all the Anime and I've read the manga from 1-94 and it doesn't seem to be getting anymore interesting in comparison to the begining.

The story started out simple; Nagi gets the slapdown at the hands of Masa who turns out to really be on the bottom of the barrel next to all the other battle-hardy warriors lurking around the school. Desiring to wipe them all out, he starts his training from the ground up with the support of the massive breasted beauty Maya and her persistent but equally as supple sister Aya who can't get her sticky hands off Nagi.

Now I could read about that all day without question. Brutal school fights, bowling parties, the love circle with Nagi, Aya, Maya, and Masa, Bob's pimpin' pink shirt, etc. But all is woe once Oh! Great gets started on explaining all the family history and tradition. When he does, prepare for nappy time because nobody you care about is going to get any time in the limelight for months.

:cry:
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

While I'll admit I'd like to see more of the present I love everything that's going on. I think this is one of the most well thought out and planned books I've ever read. It's just a shame it only comes out monthly, I'm patient though.
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

I have a passion for period dramas.
"Swallow your food whole, fool! Do you not know that mastication makes you go blind?"
Pode777
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Pode777 »

It's indeed hard for scatterbrains such as myself to keep track of the story, I need to read kk1 and prophet's posts to have an idea of whats going on. Of course not knowing japanese and then expecting to learn anything from the raws is pretty optimistic.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Honestly, I am a bit annoyed, but I love the novelty of the Ancient Arc.

It's like Oh! Great decided to create a separate series for me to enjoy until we get back to the pressing matters.

I'm not bored in the least, but I feel that just the unexpectedness aspect of the flashback is good. I certainly never thought he'd do it. And since it wasn't that hard to pay attention and get those neat little details, the process becomes highly enjoyable in itself.
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

Post by hitori »

I actually like the ancient arc a lot.
Recently the artwork has become so good, I wish they release the manga in a larger print so we don't lose the details.

But my favorite is still the 'past arc' where Mitsuomi and Maya were new students. :D
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Oh! Great probably expects his Japanese readers to be at least familiar with their history. For people who aren't familiar with these events and famous people, the whole ancient arc might take some time getting used to. I for one end up lost sometimes, but it's still enjoyable for the most part.
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

kujoe wrote:Oh! Great probably expects his Japanese readers to be at least familiar with their history. For people who aren't familiar with these events and famous people, the whole ancient arc might take some time getting used to. I for one end up lost sometimes, but it's still enjoyable for the most part.
That's one thing I enjoyed, actually reading the real history to see what he changed. Never thought a comic would make me this interested in history, maybe OG should start writing history books. Like this latest chapter, history says Ieyasu died in his bed in 1616 but now I know he was really sliced in half by Tetsuhito while hiding behind some armor. :wink:
Dembol
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Dembol »

Same thing with me.
I don't enjoy the lastest chapters as much as I used to enjoy up to around fight 90. They're cool and the artwork is amazing, but I feel a bit detached from the main story. Maybe I'll grow to like the 'ancient arc' after it's finished and when I can grasp the whole idea behind it and it's place and importance for the story line but ATM it just pisses me off.

Oh! Great should cut the crap and stop stretching the story that much to get sweet cash since he already has another cashcow (Air Gear).
Avi of the Sand
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Avi of the Sand »

i've already given up on the story. i just read it because i admire his art style, and like to practice on my drawing using his as models.
HappyStealer
Doushi
Doushi

Post by HappyStealer »

I'm still enjoying it. The ancient arc has totally drawn me back into actively reading the manga when it releases every month. :D
agmaster
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by agmaster »

I would not mind the flashback arc(s, there was two. Because he doesn't want to end it *true reason*) if it came out weekly. Hows and ever..12 issues per year and how long ar his flashback arcs? Seriously, I DO miss Bob and Masa and I can't even remember any chicks names besides the sisters without looking it up, THATS how long its been.
They call me Hadoken, because I'm downright fierce.
miyagiCE
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by miyagiCE »

As a matter of fact, I find the present arc downright boring. A manga about schoolfights is not what TenTen should strive to be.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

miyagiCE wrote:As a matter of fact, I find the present arc downright boring. A manga about schoolfights is not what TenTen should strive to be.
I think this attitute of stereotyping the story is not helpful. It's like saying that well, since TJTG has lots of fanservice, then bring on the T&A and forget the rest.

TJTG is a lot of things. Schoolfights, fanservice are only a fraction of that and to dumb down the story only to that aspect does not seem wise to me.
miyagiCE
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by miyagiCE »

What I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't mind those certain parts being lost.
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Strange that you got into this manga considering it started with the present arc, wouldn't you say? The past arc also has its share of school fights and fanservice.

It's inevitable that OG is going to return to the present arc, unless he wants to waste all that he has written so far.
Hollowshingami
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Hollowshingami »

I just wish he would pick up the pace a little. It looks like we'll return to the present arc within the next couple of chapters.
miyagiCE
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by miyagiCE »

kujoe wrote:Strange that you got into this manga considering it started with the present arc, wouldn't you say? The past arc also has its share of school fights and fanservice.

It's inevitable that OG is going to return to the present arc, unless he wants to waste all that he has written so far.
I admitt reading the first three volumes for nothign but the artwork. It was only then that the first past arc started and I really got hooked up.