Fight 101

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

Sleepy Weasel
Doushi
Doushi

Fight 101

Post by Sleepy Weasel »

happywonton
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by happywonton »

exciting!! tenten artwork is really well drawn! i look forward to seeing this more than airgear.
iijyanaika
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by iijyanaika »

thanks sleepy, this is great!

my contribution

souichirou's hair is white now? understandable since his eye was plucked out and replaced. pretty cool
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Cool cover. Here's some from me.

Ricco
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Ricco »

The chick with the cutter is scary as Hell! Did she kill muscle dude and the Aikido girl?

And Aya might finally reveal something more about Souhaku...
"Heartless angel or soulles demon NOTHING will stand in my way!"
iijyanaika
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by iijyanaika »

right before i step out to go to work, i see the chapter up >.< so i didn't read any of the text, but, was that sagara on pg 19? so he was killed by souichirou?
Hollowshingami
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Hollowshingami »

iijyanaika wrote:right before i step out to go to work, i see the chapter up >.< so i didn't read any of the text, but, was that sagara on pg 19? so he was killed by souichirou?
Nah. It looks like that was someone else.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Once again, a no plot chapter. Nothing happens except for the introduction of some pretty hardcore fighters from school.

http://www.mrprophet.com/temp/v17c101.zip
Sleepy Weasel
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Sleepy Weasel »

MrProphet wrote:Once again, a no plot chapter. Nothing happens except for the introduction of some pretty hardcore fighters from school.

not even any gratuitous nudity like last chapter :/
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

And whats with all the new characters I mean cmon already its the final arc and we dont even get to see the main characters? Im glad everyone demanded the tournament it's soo much better than the past arc zzzzzzzz.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Oh! Great's shaking his money maker: more characters can extend the series. :)
iijyanaika
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by iijyanaika »

FuguTabetai wrote:Oh! Great's shaking his money maker: more characters can extend the series. :)
that's what i'm hoping for as well :D

mitsuomi said it himself, there are tons of people out there who haven't discovered their capabilities, so let's see some of them. this school is a fighting paradise. as much as i love our main cast, doesn't hurt to throw one or two new in there, as long as it's not interrupting the main story or giving us less of what we want.

the little cat fight was nice. and the straight kick to the ass/nether region was great.
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

WHAT.

THE.

HELL?!

I was fine up to the armoured insect ninjas, but a sorcerer in his dungeon? A boxcutter stabbing (followed by a thinly-disguised penetrative rape)? What the hell happened to martial arts? If these are acceptable in the tournament, why aren't there a bunch of groups with machineguns and grenades and rocket launchers running the school already? Preposterous!

Way, WAY too much Air Gear, Oh! Great.
"Swallow your food whole, fool! Do you not know that mastication makes you go blind?"
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Agent_Wax wrote:Way, WAY too much Air Gear, Oh! Great.
At least they haven't gone into the outer space.... YET. 8)
Asunder
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Asunder »

Thanks a lot for the direct link MrProphet!

As for this chapter, rather ho hum. Seemingly no plot development and the people featured in this chapter really shouldn't pose a threat to the Jyuukenbu at all. At least they're hyped-up potential cannon fodder.
Shaggy McDaddy
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Shaggy McDaddy »

Agent_Wax wrote:I was fine up to the armoured insect ninjas, but a sorcerer in his dungeon? A boxcutter stabbing (followed by a thinly-disguised penetrative rape)? What the hell happened to martial arts? If these are acceptable in the tournament, why aren't there a bunch of groups with machineguns and grenades and rocket launchers running the school already? Preposterous!
So you're fine with other bladed weapons such as swords, spears or Emi's hidden blades being used but a boxcutter is preposterous? Its still got a blade on it.
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

So you're fine with other bladed weapons such as swords, spears or Emi's hidden blades being used but a boxcutter is preposterous? Its still got a blade on it.
Well, I might change my mind if somebody founds a bokusokata-jutsu style, but no, it's not the same. When your school allows swords and you go for boxcutters, it says some really malevolent things about you. Plus it's really low, like dishonourable Detroit drive-bys, with none of what you would expect from a school of Toudou Gakuen's traditions.

Mitsuomi was pissed when Shin used a potentially deadly technique on the mahjong guy, and here you have people gutting and disemboweling each other in underhanded tactics. Sure, things have changed since, but I would have thought he ran a tighter ship than that...
"Swallow your food whole, fool! Do you not know that mastication makes you go blind?"
Shaggy McDaddy
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Shaggy McDaddy »

And his tight ship includes Emi's under the table deal with the archery club.

Apart from Tagami things like honour don't really seem to mean much to the students these days.
IwEL
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by IwEL »

I think it's okay to show some fights with unknown characters but dedicating a whole chapter ...
but tenten readers have patience :)
meanwhile i cleaned the raw .
maybe i'll redraw the pages i only leveled as well , but friday's another exam so I don'T know when I'll find the time to do it.
http://rapidshare.com/files/12840361/te ... d.rar.html
the witch-bitch sure has annnoying hair, to redraw that is
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

IwEL wrote: meanwhile i cleaned the raw .
maybe i'll redraw the pages i only leveled as well , but friday's another exam so I don'T know when I'll find the time to do it.
http://rapidshare.com/files/12840361/te ... d.rar.html
the witch-bitch sure has annnoying hair, to redraw that is
thanks, that will be helpful!
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

Shaggy McDaddy wrote:And his tight ship includes Emi's under the table deal with the archery club.

Apart from Tagami things like honour don't really seem to mean much to the students these days.
I guess it's a really thin line where matters of war and violence are concerned. But Emi's deal with the Bowgun club was a military strategy. The purpose was not to kill the Juukenbu but to disqualify them. This strategy is acceptable to Emi the kunoichi but not Tagami the samurai, but is arguably still a military strategy.

There is a fine but distinct line between war and carnage. It is ultimately the participants /fighters who decide whether they are fighting an honourable war for a justifiable end using reasonable means, or just practicing violence for violence's sake. You wouldn't describe those participating in a drunken bar-room brawl as 'martial artists'. Boxcutters are the implements of thugs who jump and rape single mothers on quiet streets and stab homeless old men in parks. At least that's what I think about the issue, but I might well be biased.
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

Agent_Wax wrote:
Shaggy McDaddy wrote:And his tight ship includes Emi's under the table deal with the archery club.

I guess it's a really thin line where matters of war and violence are concerned. But Emi's deal with the Bowgun club was a military strategy. The purpose was not to kill the Juukenbu but to disqualify them. This strategy is acceptable to Emi the kunoichi but not Tagami the samurai, but is arguably still a military strategy.

There is a fine but distinct line between war and carnage. It is ultimately the participants /fighters who decide whether they are fighting an honourable war for a justifiable end using reasonable means, or just practicing violence for violence's sake. You wouldn't describe those participating in a drunken bar-room brawl as 'martial artists'. Boxcutters are the implements of thugs who jump and rape single mothers on quiet streets and stab homeless old men in parks. At least that's what I think about the issue, but I might well be biased.
I have to agree. I thought this was a school where the students learned martial arts, real ones. I should probably wit for the translation but what class would she have llearned the boxcutter thing in? And then grabbing it with her mouth and the whole leeches thing(which could never really do that) seriously is she supposed to be a witch? Is there a Harry Potter course at the school now? I hope Oh Great! knows what he's doing.
Ricco
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Ricco »

I don't see a problem with the cutter, since she seems to be part of the science/chemistry club, what does bug me is the fact the better fighter lost.

A cutter is a better weapon then a sword in close range, specialy if you keep in mind that you only need 2 cm(less then an inch) worth of blade to perforate a lung through the armpit or sever the femoral/jugular artery.

A cutter and a defencive martial art, like Aikido, allows to block and then cut at the tendons with greater ease then a bulky/heavier knife.

Heck I trained in medieval sword handdling for 8 years, a pen is enough of a deadly weapon if you know where to strike.

It's still a thug only weapon, I agree but the weapon is not the problem here, her method is. In a tournament type fight she would have been defeated the moment she was caught in that chock hold or discualified since the leeches would be considered "outside help".
DemonNeedle
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by DemonNeedle »

Its a war. The whole school was founded so that they could create warriors, not martial arts. There is a difference.
Ashiyura
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Ashiyura »

Yeah, certainly some individuals aren't keen on honourable methods, but if it's a case of 'whatever works best' why aren't all the students carrying machineguns or something? I thought the whole point was that Toudou Gakuen was a martial arts academy, that's certainly the tone in the Ultra Jump Special translation... and personally I don't see the point in Oh!Great expounding on all the martial virtues etc just to turn it all around and say 'oh well, it's ok to just use whatever you like' :? Are we even sure that kid is a student per se?
I'd say that just in the context of the school itself, using a boxcutter is cheap and fairly...dirty, but like DemonNeedle says, now that things are more of a 'war' I guess things that work are all that you'd be concerned with. And one thing...are the students taught normal subjects(like chemistry, as mentioned above)? You'd think so because it's high school, but I'm not sure...all we've seen evidence of (I think) are things related to fighting and the history thereof.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

I think the school is heavily based on the notion of honorable fighting.

Thus, there would be some who might try to bend the rules a bit, but won't break them outright. Remember that Isuzu did not castigate Tagami for fouling up her plan with the crossbowmen. Even though he went against her, she couldn't retaliate because she knew that she was wrong in the first place and Mitsuomi would not back her up.

So, as long as the rules are bent stealthily, it's kinda OK. Guns would be too visible and would probably bring the wrath of the Enforcement Group on whoever broke the rules of honor so blatantly.
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

Ashiyura wrote:Yeah, certainly some individuals aren't keen on honourable methods, but if it's a case of 'whatever works best' why aren't all the students carrying machineguns or something? I thought the whole point was that Toudou Gakuen was a martial arts academy, that's certainly the tone in the Ultra Jump Special translation... .
My thoughts too, we didn't see anything like this in the flashback tounement, though perhaps this is purposeful on Oh! Great's part to show how bad things have gotten under Mistuomi and why it's no longer called a "fighting paradise".
Kago Souhaku
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Kago Souhaku »

^ Well if you attacked Maya, the school wasn't a fighting paradise for you :P

I've tried reading it, and some things I understood, some I didn't...anywayz..it was really cheap for the girl to use a box cutter..wtf? it's getting blodier by the moment...next issue, joe bazuka and friends XD
attonbitus
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by attonbitus »

Just keep in mind that brawling is a fighting style too. So is in close knife fighting.

I think more people are disappointed that it wasn't so much of a fight as it was a straight killing. Had it been a 15 page fight then the death people would have found it more satisfying.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

just wanted to let you all know that I have been slowly working at this chapter - I hope to have it done before the next chapter comes out, since I haven't been behind a while - but man I don't like this chapter. Too much talking. Translation is up in the usual place.
Strangler
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Strangler »

Indeed, you have translated a lot of blabla... But it was just 5-6 pages ?

Good luck Fugu !

Apparently Masataka has beaten the guys in armors... But not the the girl nor the tongue-tied boy ?
Wandering star
narukura
Yuurei
Yuurei

Hi I am new here

Post by narukura »

Greetings to all of the fans of Tenjo Tenge. I want to know where fugu post the translation for the chapter 101. Where he usually put the translations?
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Re: Hi I am new here

Post by kk1 »

narukura wrote:Greetings to all of the fans of Tenjo Tenge. I want to know where fugu post the translation for the chapter 101. Where he usually put the translations?
http://tjtg.mangatranslation.com/TJTG_17_Trans.html
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

I have to say, Oh! Great is a real nerd. Now he's getting into Camera Nerdery. Raika is pretty cool though. Love that chair-walking bit.
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

Fugu, 'Koukaken' is 'Hung family Kung fu'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hung_Gar

'Kinna', I think, is 'Chin-na', a pressure point grappling art from China.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chin_na

Taidou's philosophy sounds very similar to the philosophy of Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Thanks Agent_Wax.
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

So razor girl and the witch are knocking of the Jyuukenbu's opponents? I wonder where OG is going with that? Anyone else notice when they're loading that big guy in the ambulance he's sliced in the abdomen too, so I guess razor girl defeated him too.
Kyu1982
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Kyu1982 »

Most Red feather is still under the influence of Sohaku, so it is no surprise.
I think Red feather is cleaning possible troubles for Nagi in order for him to kick Mitsuomi's ass. We really don't know until what happened between Aya and Sohaku.

In this chapter, from Fuguu's translation, that razor girls' voice seems to be changed. possibily, Razor girl might also have ability to change her look?!?
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

BTW, Fugu, you missed a page.

http://mrprophet.com/temp/Tenjou%20Teng ... 52-053.jpg

This spread went inbetween page 46 and page 47. The cleaner messed up a little. 8)
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

Kyu1982 wrote:Most Red feather is still under the influence of Sohaku, so it is no surprise.
I think Red feather is cleaning possible troubles for Nagi in order for him to kick Mitsuomi's ass. We really don't know until what happened between Aya and Sohaku.

In this chapter, from Fuguu's translation, that razor girls' voice seems to be changed. possibily, Razor girl might also have ability to change her look?!?

I dont think raor girl is a red feather.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

MrProphet wrote:BTW, Fugu, you missed a page.

http://mrprophet.com/temp/Tenjou%20Teng ... 52-053.jpg

This spread went inbetween page 46 and page 47. The cleaner messed up a little. 8)
bummer. I'll have to go back and get that. Screws up my page numbering though.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

http://tjtg.mangatranslation.com/ae_TJTG_101_21.5.jpg

Didn't really add much information, but it did give me a name.

Does anyone else think that that ugly Witch and Razor Girl are the same person? That's what I've decided, and that's what I'm going with.

By the way, check out http://tjtg.mangatranslation.com/charac ... cters.html with the new portraits that I added. Thanks again to kk1 and Mr.Prophet for the other portraits. I went to a lot of trouble to add the nice transparency effect, so any heaping of praise for my diligent effort is also appreciated.
Last edited by FuguTabetai on Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
iijyanaika
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by iijyanaika »

i don't think they're the same. on page22-23 we see the witch in her 'lab' and there is a stretcher table with restraints and blood. i think she's controlling this girl some how.

but if she is the same, then some kind of body switch is her power?
Ricco
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Ricco »

I think she's one of the top 23 fighters of the school, I base this on the fact that the armor guy was said to be the 23rd. Maybe the list refered to in page 21.5 relates to the school ranking...

Also I think the image of the wizard/witch/alchemist is just the "feel" Nokomi leaves behind, kind of like how Nagi has sometimes a dragon in his background in the beginning. It just indicates her real nature, not some sort of shappeshifting power, at least that's what I think.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

"23 people on the Red Feather List" refers to people with special abilities that are being awakened by the Red Feather resonance, that Dougen and Mitsuomi has been talking about.

Also, I agree with Fugu that Mayutsubo Nokimi, the witch and the razor girl are one and the same person. Consider pages 44 and 45 (Fugu's numbering), when she is standing over Kaoru's stretcher. It's clearly her.

The "ugly witch" form might not be literal, though. It might be just an allegory of her witchcraft powers.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Ricco wrote:I think she's one of the top 23 fighters of the school, I base this on the fact that the armor guy was said to be the 23rd. Maybe the list refered to in page 21.5 relates to the school ranking...
No, that is not the school ranking - totally different words are used for that.
Ricco wrote: Also I think the image of the wizard/witch/alchemist is just the "feel" Nokomi leaves behind, kind of like how Nagi has sometimes a dragon in his background in the beginning. It just indicates her real nature, not some sort of shappeshifting power, at least that's what I think.
Yes, I also think the old witch imagery is more of metaphor or something.