Fight 102

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

Sleepy Weasel
Doushi
Doushi

Fight 102

Post by Sleepy Weasel »

Is it just me or does that girls hair look... bad

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c223/sleepywe/102.jpg
Last edited by Sleepy Weasel on Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Forget the hair... That head looks like it belongs on a midget. With freakishly huge feet to boot. Oh! Great, I forgave you the huge breasts, but don't you even have a slightest idea about proportions and a thing called "perspective"?

BTW, the chopper looks like it was stolen from Air Gear. He likes to put unnecessary crazy stuff like that in there.

Also.. is that Asshat?
iijyanaika
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by iijyanaika »

what the hell is this. i'm getting one good laugh after another.

we're certainly getting a lot of good ol pop culture aren't we. the M8, now the skate/shoe hybrid thing. if this girl fights by riding around on her skate/shoes and talking about the wind i'm going to crap my pants. nothin gbut love for air gear, but i don't want to see it here >.<

is that asshat? i figure bob is going to kick his ass for having a bike that looks a lot more suped up than his :p
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

MrProphet wrote: Also.. is that Asshat?
Yes. "The Invincible Hero". Don't tell me he's the true warrior. Although I am interested in seeing Sugano Kagesada (a.k.a. Asshat) take on a bigger role.

I would be much more interested in seeing more of Takayanagi Masataka though.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Kyu1982
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Kyu1982 »

hmm, Asshat leaving the fight?
That is possible. He is weakling from the day one.

Asshat's original nick name was trashman wasn't it.

My ultimate imagination is Asshat being a member of red feather with special ability, possibily a reason for all the women around him I really want to find out why Asshat is popular with women in TJTG with his hair style.

And for the cover picture in this chapter, I really think OG started drawing this chapter right after finishing Airgear or somthing. I can handle the bike, but the woman does not suit for TGTJ. that woman belongs in the different manga.
Hollowshingami
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Hollowshingami »

That whole picture screams Air gear, really. :?

Still him leaving the tournament is a interesting development. It's really running away, though. :)
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

Whats everyone getting so bent out of shape for? Its just the splash page which is always a "fantasy" picture that has nothing to do with the story.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

kk1 wrote:Whats everyone getting so bent out of shape for? Its just the splash page which is always a "fantasy" picture that has nothing to do with the story.
That's not the point. I think most of the people here realize that.

The point is that Oh!great's art style seems to be deteriorating, either because of outsourcing to assistants, sloppy work or simply irrational exuberance.

If you read Air Gear, you might notice that it's a lot more over-the-top than Tenjou Tenge. Recently I've noticed that some of this more radical art style has been migrating over to Tenjou Tenge. This is not very good, in my opinion.

I wouldn't claim that Tenjou Tenge is a realistic manga, yet in comparison to Air Gear, it always seemed a lot more sober, which in my book was a positive thing.
mili
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by mili »

First page look little weird for me O_o...
It's look like some hybride of Tenjou + Air Gear...I don't like it but,that's not big problem at all :lol:
Its just the splash page which is always a "fantasy" picture that has nothing to do with the story
I agree with that...
We saw many times that the splash page look "fantasy" or unrealistic...but so what? The plot in the chapter was always "normal" so I don't see the reason to be worry.
happywonton
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by happywonton »

yeah im really hyped up about his drawing style but that picture does look weird. its like star trek meets tenten.

i really liked how he used to draw characters with animal figures in the backgrounds. There's one picture of maya showing off a sideboob with a tiger in the background. That was one of my favorite pictures.
Kyu1982
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Kyu1982 »

I am betting that Asshat might get some focus in this chapter.
He made front page, I am sure he can do anything.

But, my main interest is that razor girl.
She is a hard-core. Hopefully, OG came up with good name for her.

Cannot wait for raw to come out. hehe.
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

MrProphet wrote:
kk1 wrote:Whats everyone getting so bent out of shape for? Its just the splash page which is always a "fantasy" picture that has nothing to do with the story.
That's not the point. I think most of the people here realize that.

The point is that Oh!great's art style seems to be deteriorating, either because of outsourcing to assistants, sloppy work or simply irrational exuberance.

If you read Air Gear, you might notice that it's a lot more over-the-top than Tenjou Tenge. Recently I've noticed that some of this more radical art style has been migrating over to Tenjou Tenge. This is not very good, in my opinion.

I wouldn't claim that Tenjou Tenge is a realistic manga, yet in comparison to Air Gear, it always seemed a lot more sober, which in my book was a positive thing.
I've read Air Gear, and after a whole volume of the past arc, I really don't see anything over-the-top in TenTen lately. Kinda reminds me of fight 76 with Aya on the motorcycle though that did look more realistic. The only thing I can say is usually OG has gone with sticking characters in past or present setting for the splash and I will agree this is probably the first "futuristic" pic he's done in Ten Ten.
One of my favs is Aya writing on the Mcdonalds windows though any of the ones with any Natsume's boobs out is good too :wink:
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Off topic

Post by kk1 »

Hey look Mr P your hometown http://news.yahoo.com/photos/ss/photos_ ... SsCnqs0NUE

I was soo bored waiting(where the hell is it? :evil: ) for the new chapter I was reading Yahoo news and noticed your hometown, you know that chick? :wink: lol
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Well, finally, here it is.

http://www.mrprophet.com/temp/v17c102.zip

And, wow, the plot actually continues from the last chapter instead of making another break.

Asshat actually does something manly. 8)
Ricco
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Ricco »

Okay, that was weird...
So razor girl's a bokor now?

PS. Bokor Voodoo sorcerer, makes zombies.
"Heartless angel or soulles demon NOTHING will stand in my way!"
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Well, we already knew that Nokimi was a witch, so it's not that much of a stretch.

I did notice that she had several vials with her similar to the one from the last chapter. Is she actually stuffing people with larvae in order to control them? Disgusting...
Ricco
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Ricco »

MrProphet wrote:Well, we already knew that Nokimi was a witch, so it's not that much of a stretch.

I did notice that she had several vials with her similar to the one from the last chapter. Is she actually stuffing people with larvae in order to control them? Disgusting...
I guess she's "building" herself a team or something.
She's up there on my "hope he/she get killed soon" list, right under Inue, she's one creepy disguting little b****!
"Heartless angel or soulles demon NOTHING will stand in my way!"
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

It's interesting that Asshat got the same scary/creepy vibe from Nokimi that he got from Shin. Which, by the way, reinforces the idea that either Mayutsubo is one of the Red Feather subordinate families, or she has ki-based special abilities that go beyond this whole witchcraft BS.
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

Wow I can't believe how boring TT has gotten, every volume the fights got better and better and now we get the worst fights in this book's history. I just can't believe it. I used to not be able to wait until the next fight now I almost don't even care. All that trainging and asshat chokes a guy with string...oooh exciting, a goth chick stabs a girl with a boxcutter, wow, Masataka pucnhes a guy with a crossbow, ooh I almost peed myself. How am I supposed to be interested after all the amazing fights we've seen lately or heck even in the first election tournement. OG is really dropping the ball here, I mean we're not even getting good character development in exchange. Someone wake me when something interesting happens :(
HappyStealer
Doushi
Doushi

Post by HappyStealer »

yeah I had a feeling the tournament would be boring. The reason why is because they are already overpowered.... the only confrontation that is gonna be at the least interesting is when they start encountering people who use dragon gates or "special powers" All they gotta do for now is launch forged needle attacks and there goes ur pwnage. LOL Asshat's fight was bleh... its nice to see him fight but nothing special. It just sucks that Oh! Great had this great ancient arc then all of a sudden, we get a real died down tournament.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Yeah?

OK, so what's the alternative? We all know that in the end it all comes down to Jyuukenbu versus the Enforcement Group with Souhaku meddling in somehow. That's the grand finale of this arc. Would you like Oh! Great to move straight down to it?

It's obvious that these judo guys and the archers and whatnot are trash to fill in the tournament ranks and for Jyuukenbu to decimate on their way to the top. These aren't supposed to be the really good guys, but they are a stepping stone that lies there in order for the plot not to look too rushed.

Between the Tournament finals and now there's that intermediary stage where new worthy characters are introduced the same way Ishiyumi, Madoka and Mataza were introduced in the middle of the arc that ended up in Souhaku's mansion. The same reason why Maya and Co. can't storm Souhaku's house without going through the intermediary phase applies to this arc. Jyuukenbu can't reasonably face Souhaku right now because it would be lame from the point of view of pacing.

So, what Oh! Great is doing is introducing these intermediary players like Nokimi. He used the last two chapters to introduce her and I assume that he will keep setting up her character until her intentions become known and we can segue to her confrontation with Jyuukenbu (or otherwise). Fighting her right now would make zero sense either because we neither know who she is, what her abilities are or what she is planning.

So, while I might agree in principle that these latest chapters are not as exciting as watching Maya fight Kagiroi, or watching Shin fight Mitsuomi, this is how it works! The plot builds up from the nadir to the zenith, from a lower point to the higher.

Scenarios need to be set up before they are executed. Characters need to be developed before they are thrown into the plot line. Doing otherwise would be much worse. Just because we don't yet see the significance of current developments to the overarching plot does not critique valid, in my opinion. I think it's proper to discuss why this or that development was useful to the plot and why not, but it's also proper not to lose sight of the requirements of storytelling.

I dare you to propose a different scenario that would make sense.
HappyStealer
Doushi
Doushi

Post by HappyStealer »

Well its the amount of time invested into minor things that make it slower and "boring" such as the amoutn of time just to let the archer's and stuff get defeated by the jyuukenbuu so easily. For example on the past history arc, he spent what? 5 pages as they decimated souhaku's entire army except that one guy. When nagi, mitsuomi and maya went to kill souhaku, 7 or so pages were used to wipe off souhaku's henchwoman wiht the machine guns. Even the Enmi family part and mataza(or however his name is spelled) henchmen didnt take a full chapter. Your telling me, its gonna take 25 pages to defeat archers? I mean, I understand that its a stepping stone but spending too much time on enemies that aren't worth the trouble is a waste. I don't mind if he spent several pages into that stepping stone, but a whole chapter? You at the very least, see my point in that.

Its liek the maya history arc, it could of been shorter and some of the parts, could of been explained wihtout going into several long pages and still get the point across. Its called concision. I enjyoed learning about maya's history but that was one of the slowest moving arcs in tenten.

But nonetheless, I stick by tenten. I can complain about it but I enjoy the manga. Plus Air Gear too.
Last edited by HappyStealer on Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

How many chapters (chapters, not pages!) did it take to get rid of the Hayabusa brothers? What about Fu Chien, why is that bastard unkillable?
Your telling me, its gonna take 25 pages to defeat archers?
It took exactly 11 pages to get rid of Gonzales and his men, from the moment they appeared to the moment they are gone.

It took exactly 13 pages to similarily get rid of the latest guys.

I fail to see the problem. The rest of the time is devoted to other things: new characters, explaining the tournament, delving deeper into various machinations surrounding it, etc.
Its liek the maya history arc, it could of been shorter and some of the parts, could of been explained wihtout going into several long pages and still get the point across. Its called concision. I enjyoed learning about maya's history but that was one of the slowest moving arcs in tenten.
What are you talking about?
Last edited by MrProphet on Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HappyStealer
Doushi
Doushi

Post by HappyStealer »

talking about slowness and wasted pages.

Fu Chien was special and look how he turned out. Who were the hayabusa brothers again?

Again, my arguement points towards henchmen and the likes.
Last edited by HappyStealer on Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

What is a "Maya history arc"? If you mean the Past Arc, then... well, the answer is fairly obvious.

And what was so special about Fu Chien? He was just Dougen's henchman, sent to awaken Shin's Dragon. By your reasoning, they shouldn't have spent much time on him. Just kill him off and be done with it. In the same vein, why is Inue still walking around? Why not just get rid of her? Mitsuomi certainly had the chance.

Or is it perhaps that not everything in Tenjou Tenge should be about leveling up and beating up "bosses", eh?
HappyStealer
Doushi
Doushi

Post by HappyStealer »

probably the past arc. Volumes 4 through 8. I just call it the maya history arc because chiaka asks bunshichi about what the history of maya was.

Archer's compare to Fu Chien? and Inue? If they were feasible henchmen, then I see your point but this is an archery club.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

You think the Past Arc should be shortened?!? And you see no reason for it? I am amazed!

- It explained the tension between Mitsuomi and Maya
- It gave emotional weight to the current conflict between Enforcers and Jyuukenbu
- It transformed Mitsuomi and Maya into a nuanced, complex characters that defy the conventions of "hero" and "villain"
- It introduced Dougen and the Perfect Warrior
- It explained Reiki's powers
- It set up the stage for Souhaku and 12 Families to come in.
- It made Bunshichi the coolest character ever.

Tenjou Tenge would seriously suck if it weren't for the Past Arc. I am dumbfounded that anyone would want it shortened and more time spent on Nagi!

Come on, what's better, more Shin, Maya ad Bunshichi or more Nagi?
HappyStealer
Doushi
Doushi

Post by HappyStealer »

I think it could of been shortened and got the same exact point across. Never said there was no reason for it. Becayuse of the reason's u stated but you seriously believe you wouldn't have gotten all that info in 2 volumes?

More maya is always good, bunschichi is always a badass, and shin, well, he's just shin. In all honesty, I wanted to see more on the red feathers and white feathers and makiko-dono
Last edited by HappyStealer on Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Archer's compare to Fu Chien? and Inue? If they were feasible henchmen, then I see your point but this is an archery club.
Fight 100 was not about the Archery club, it was about Masataka.
Fight 102 was not about the the judokas, it was about Sugano.

Can't you see that?
Becayuse of the reason's u stated but you seriously believe you wouldn't have gotten all that info in 2 volumes?
No, of course not!

Maya's transformation from a phycho Katana hunter. Shin's descent into madness. Rivalry between Mitsuomi and Maya and their bonding. Gradual positioning of Mitsuomi as Shin's rival. The tournament. There's no fucking way!

Name me one story arc that wasn't necessary to develop the plot lines!
Last edited by MrProphet on Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HappyStealer
Doushi
Doushi

Post by HappyStealer »

Fight 100 had what? him watching a video of aya, him beating up a cup of ramen, his thinking of brother vs brother and him being late. But was composed of the archery club. I understand some of your points and I do see what you are talking about but I guess mangaka's like to draw out fights/stories that could of finished a long time ago.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

The official start of the tournament, reintroduction of Tagami, Isuzu's machinations, Tagami's honor vis a vis Jyuukenbu.

Why am I stating the obvious?

I don't see how the archery club fight could have been resolved earlier? If Aya or Nagi beat them up, it would invalidate Tagami helping Masataka. It would also invalidate the point that the tournament is about tactics and brains just as much as it is about raw strength and "powers". Or else Nagi would decimate everyone in his path.

That was the whole point, not that the archers are tough or sneaky. The archers don't matter, other stuff does.
Last edited by MrProphet on Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
HappyStealer
Doushi
Doushi

Post by HappyStealer »

we could debate this for hours but we both have our different opinions on it. Anyways, I'm just looking forward to this final arc.
Kyu1982
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Kyu1982 »

it is good discussion, but why isn't anyone mentioning ass hat's eye blow at the end of the chapter?

Truth behind sugano kagesada?
I think he will never get popularity vote now.

only thing I can say, is "OG is evil". how can he ruin sugano's only good thing, "his look"?
iijyanaika
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by iijyanaika »

HappyStealer wrote:I think it could of been shortened and got the same exact point across. Never said there was no reason for it. Becayuse of the reason's u stated but you seriously believe you wouldn't have gotten all that info in 2 volumes?
wow are you serious? condensing the past arc into 2 volumes? the way you make it sound, you should just watch the anime and be happy with that. it has a beginning and end, ep1-ova.

fight100 was showing us masatakas feelings towards everything, giving us a better sense of what the characters are feeling about things.

and when was the last time we ever heard anything about sugano? maya dragged him in, and we saw that he has a harem.

it seems like you're not one for character development?

i hope next fight it'll show some of the enforcement group, or do they just hold as as the last round?

thanks mr p for the scans

edit- hmmm, sugano's eyebrows are gone.......little weird?
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

I think it's more of a combination of weird lighting, point of view and a crappy scan. See the outline adjacent to his nose?

Asshat painting his eyebrows on doesn't really make sense to me. I mean, what's the point?

Asshat didn't run away, he beat a guy he had no real chance to even scrape and then he has no eyebrows?!? Kind of a non sequitur, don't you think? Or is it some kind of kind of a crack metaphor of Sugano shedding his old fake image and become a warrior?

Yeah, LOL. 8)
iijyanaika
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by iijyanaika »

looked back again, he did get his face dragged on the floor. so i don't think i'll rule out him having no eyebrows now :p

floor burns on the legs and arms suck enough, i couldn't imagine the lasting feeling of one on my face >.>
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

MrProphet wrote:Yeah?

OK, so what's the alternative? We all know that in the end it all comes down to Jyuukenbu versus the Enforcement Group with Souhaku meddling in somehow. That's the grand finale of this arc. Would you like Oh! Great to move straight down to it?.
Yes.

MrProphet wrote: Scenarios need to be set up before they are executed. Characters need to be developed before they are thrown into the plot line. Doing otherwise would be much worse. Just because we don't yet see the significance of current developments to the overarching plot does not critique valid, in my opinion. I think it's proper to discuss why this or that development was useful to the plot and why not, but it's also proper not to lose sight of the requirements of storytelling.

I dare you to propose a different scenario that would make sense.
We've had 16 volumes of development! Everything was a setup to this, I mean 17 volumes of manga and the actual story has only progressed 1 month! Everybody's character has been set up , we know their motives pasts and powers and it was all supposed to culminate at the election tournement. Everyone is done training and powered up or incapacitated we know what happened 3 years ago, 8 years ago, and we know what happened 500 years ago. I'm tired of set up I want the payoff! :evil: Unless witch girl is the true warrior I don't give a shit, I don't want 2 chapters worth of sketchy development about her, show me what she can do and why I should care. If she's so damn important why did it take 17 volumes for her to show up and why was she ignored until now? So far she looks pretty lame compared to characters who can weild the dragon's eye and dragon's fist. I much rather see Nagi and Aya whoopin ass and taking names hell I much rather see Bob get some action after being inactive for 6 volumes, or even Maya on a respirator getting a sponge bath.

Believe me I'm a big a TT fan as anyone and have always loved Ogure's pacing and storytelling ability almost more than his artwork but my patience has for the first time worn quite thin. Luckily I have half a dozen Air Gear volumes to tide me over (which I'm surprisingly enjoying) but I much rather have some Ten Ten climax payoff. :cry:
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

HappyStealer wrote:Fight 100 had what? him watching a video of aya, him beating up a cup of ramen, his thinking of brother vs brother and him being late. But was composed of the archery club. I understand some of your points and I do see what you are talking about but I guess mangaka's like to draw out fights/stories that could of finished a long time ago.
I don't know, even with everything else going on (which was a lot) the election tournement in the past arc took 7 fights(chapters) 6 if you don't count the Shin vs Mits fight after. So this time around we're half of that and...a witch girl makes a zombie and Asshat and Masataka beat 2 guys up, in the past Shin just went berserk and ripped Fu'chien's hands off. No long drawn out fights before.
HappyStealer
Doushi
Doushi

Post by HappyStealer »

iijyanaika wrote:
HappyStealer wrote:I think it could of been shortened and got the same exact point across. Never said there was no reason for it. Becayuse of the reason's u stated but you seriously believe you wouldn't have gotten all that info in 2 volumes?
wow are you serious? condensing the past arc into 2 volumes? the way you make it sound, you should just watch the anime and be happy with that. it has a beginning and end, ep1-ova.

fight100 was showing us masatakas feelings towards everything, giving us a better sense of what the characters are feeling about things.

and when was the last time we ever heard anything about sugano? maya dragged him in, and we saw that he has a harem.

it seems like you're not one for character development?
The anime was shotty and worse was watching the past arc through the anime. Don't even mention the OVA. I never said I wanted tenten to have a beginning, end and ova. Ishiyumi' fight, Enma Family Arc, Ancient History Arc (probably my fav) were all parts I really enjoyed and they had a lot of interesting revelations and also had some excellent fights and would of been great animated. Hell, even tell me how the takayanagi's came into power. I've talked to many people who enjoyed tenten at the beginning but when the past arc happened, they gradually lost interest in it.

If he wanted to really intro sagano and give him a part, it should of been earlier when he was asked to join the jyuukenbuu. All of a sudden, when the final arc is happening, somehow we get some information regarding him. He was just a pick up during shin's group because they needed a 5 man roster. Now we are in the final arc and all of sudden, we find out something about asshat?

I enjoy character developement as I find it a neccessity but when you drag out your character developement, then it becomes stretched. I love Oh! Great's artwork as for thats one of the main reason's that tenten has appealed so much to me but sometimes, "Too much of a good thing becomes a bad thing"
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

kk1 wrote:We've had 16 volumes of development!
I'm sorry, but don't you realize that this manga has several story arcs and it isn't a single development?

The latest story arc is the second Tournament and it needs to be built up just as all the previous arcs.
Everybody's character has been set up , we know their motives pasts and powers and it was all supposed to culminate at the election tournement.
"We've considered that a tragedy is an imitation of an action that is complete in itself because it's a whole of some quantity (because a whole doesn't have to have a quantity). Now a whole is something that has a beginning, a middle, and an end. A beginning isn't necessarily after something else but is followed by something. An end naturally follows something—either as necessary or as consequential—and has nothing following it. And a middle follows something and is followed by something else. Therefore a well-constructed plot cannot begin or end at any point the author would like. Beginning and end have to follow the forms described."

Aristotle, Book 7, Poetics
Everyone is done training and powered up or incapacitated we know what happened 3 years ago, 8 years ago, and we know what happened 500 years ago. I'm tired of set up I want the payoff! :evil: Unless witch girl is the true warrior I don't give a shit, I don't want 2 chapters worth of sketchy development about her, show me what she can do and why I should care. If she's so damn important why did it take 17 volumes for her to show up and why was she ignored until now? So far she looks pretty lame compared to characters who can weild the dragon's eye and dragon's fist. I much rather see Nagi and Aya whoopin ass and taking names hell I much rather see Bob get some action after being inactive for 6 volumes, or even Maya on a respirator getting a sponge bath.
OK... sorry I even bothered you.... This seems personal. :shock: :shock: :shock:
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

MrProphet wrote:
kk1 wrote:We've had 16 volumes of development!
I'm sorry, but don't you realize that this manga has several story arcs and it isn't a single development?

The latest story arc is the second Tournament and it needs to be built up just as all the previous arcs.

:
Yes it is, all the flashbacks were to explain the present OG even said so himself in the UJ special,and this is the end he said it. We get to find out what DougenMtsuomi,and Souhaku have been up to all this time. Who's the true warrior? Mits finally dying and seeing who wins him or Maya all stuff we have been promised and been waiting for, at least I have. The election tournement is just the stage it's all taking place on. Please tell me how any of that needs more build up.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

well, I'm pretty happy to get more information about Sugano, and I've enjoyed Raika for a new character. Nokimi could be interesting as well.

I would love to see more development on Bob and Nagi though, because even though we saw them a lot early on, I think we know almost nothing about Bob now.

Shoot, even more information on Tagami is welcome. I would love to see a bit more with Sagara also, truth be told.
HappyStealer
Doushi
Doushi

Post by HappyStealer »

well I'd like to see more on what has happened to bob over the past several arcs too.
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Actually, I kind of agree with kk1 and with Fugu here. If it's about giving the manga a good sense of pace, then I'm fine with the occasional groups of expendable goons that the Jyuukenbu gets to beat up. I certainly wouldn't want our heroes just step in, kick some ass and solve all their problems all in one day.

However, introducing a bunch of new characters as a function of the plot is somewhat tough to swallow when the story already has a great amount of supporting characters. We already have the likes of Tagami, Isuzu, Ryuuzaki, Ishiyumi, Shizuru and Inue. For crying out loud, there's Bob! I'd rather see something about the guy (or hell, even Bunshichi) than a cute Masataka chapter. And I still can't believe how Sagara Mask was wasted compared to the attention he got in the bowling alley arc. Until we know what exact roles these new characters will be playing, I would have to ask the question: Why can't others be written to fill their place instead?

We're nearing the end of the story aren't we? Personally, I would prefer the author focusing on the cast he has now and flesh them out more rather than creating new ones. Give me more Makiko; give me more updates on Inue, Ishiyumi, or Shizuru and I'll be a happier reader.

And yet at the same time I also can't help but think that maybe I'll like these new characters too anyway. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm torn, or rather I'm kind of ambivalent with the way things are shaping out. It certainly doesn't help that Oh! Great's art is beginning to look lazy compared to his past efforts.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

The problem is: most of the known characters are not antagonists. Bob, Tagami, Isuzu, Tessen, Kamura, even Mitsuomi... none of them would fight for Souhaku.

Jyuukenbu can't just constantly fight Inue and Kagiroi, they need other enemies.

So far, the 3 chapters of the new Tournament arc have been dedicated to one of the members of Jyuukenbu: Nagi, then Masataka, now Asshat. One chapter was dedicated to introducing a new antagonist, Nokimi.

Isn't that exactly what you ask for? I wouldn't be surprised if the next chapter would be about Bob (to continue the existing trend). So be patient.
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

MrProphet wrote:The problem is: most of the known characters are not antagonists. Bob, Tagami, Isuzu, Tessen, Kamura, even Mitsuomi... none of them would fight for Souhaku.
Yes, I realize that. But I think the damage has been done already in light of the many characters the story already has, from Mitsuomi's allies to other supporting characters. Also, I was thinking in a more functional sense. I would prefer having older characters fight the Jyuukenbu rather than introduce new ones if it's all going to be about preventing the story from just getting it on.

As for Souhaku's side of things, it would have been great if we saw more about whatever is going on with Inue. After the revelation that Souhaku is stuck inside Nagi's eye, with Aya knowing something we don't, perhaps more focus on Inue beforehand would've made introducing new players smoother in terms of pace.

Like I said, I'm for new interesting characters. It's just that I feel that Oh! Great's methods are somewhat blunt.
HappyStealer
Doushi
Doushi

Post by HappyStealer »

If I see another chapter on makiko, I won't say anything about the pace of the story ever again. She's just too awesome :twisted: I just wonder what Aya knows about this whole ordeal that wasn't revealed in the past arc. Aya has turned into a very interesting character from when we were first introed to her. Man, she was annoying back then......

Off topic but have you read all the current translated air gear or you read the raws also, kk1? And who are your favorite characters?
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

MrProphet wrote:The problem is: most of the known characters are not antagonists. Bob, Tagami, Isuzu, Tessen, Kamura, even Mitsuomi... none of them would fight for Souhaku.

Jyuukenbu can't just constantly fight Inue and Kagiroi, they need other enemies.

So far, the 3 chapters of the new Tournament arc have been dedicated to one of the members of Jyuukenbu: Nagi, then Masataka, now Asshat. One chapter was dedicated to introducing a new antagonist, Nokimi.

Isn't that exactly what you ask for? I wouldn't be surprised if the next chapter would be about Bob (to continue the existing trend). So be patient.
But there's so may things I want to see and OG is definately drawing this out purposely, if he wants to drag things out, which is definately a change from his usual style of packing tons into one story( look at the Maya, Tets fight at the same time you had the revelation of Tets' power, Aya looking into the past, the intoduction of 2 new characters and Mits and co. going after Souhaku) then I'd wish he'd address some things he hasn't yet. I didn't mind Tagami how about some other enforcement group fights, where's Ishiyumi? We know that book has all the powered fighters in the school listed, what's the enforcement group doing to them? Is everyone else in the school oblivious to how powerful the Jyuukenbu is? How about a fight like what Nagi did to Sagara and have everyone crap their pants when they realize they're next to fight them, or how about Aya she seemed to gain alot of insight into the use of her powers, how about a demo of that? Is Shyoujyou fighting at all to get use to being Mits? Where's Reiki? etc, etc. These are just such one thing going on stories where's the "other" story going on in the background like usual? I just feel OG is wasting valuble space that could have so much more packed in than Bunshichi taking a dump :?
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

We know that book has all the powered fighters in the school listed, what's the enforcement group doing to them?
Huh? Isn't that exactly what they are doing? Does the name "Nokimi" ring a bell?
Is everyone else in the school oblivious to how powerful the Jyuukenbu is?
Well, since Isuzu is cheating to get Jyuukenbu off the tournament, I am sure that people are not oblivious.
How about a fight like what Nagi did to Sagara and have everyone crap their pants when they realize they're next to fight them, or how about Aya she seemed to gain alot of insight into the use of her powers, how about a demo of that?
That sounds like a lot of fanboish wishful thinking. Forged Needle has weaknesses that can be countered. Aya's Dragon Eye is useless without Reiki...

Really, people, it now seems to me like most of your actual complaints are there because you aren't paying attention to the actual scenes. Maybe they aren't exciting enough, but when something is actually happening and you complain that there isn't enough of it.... it just looks silly.