Looks like DC licensed Tenjo Tenge.

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

Mazus
Yuurei
Yuurei

Looks like DC licensed Tenjo Tenge.

Post by Mazus »

I don't know if I should be happy or sad.

[quote] DC COMICS LAUNCHES CMX,

A NEW MANGA IMPRINT IN OCTOBER

forthcoming titles include THE INTERNATIONAL BESTSELLERs Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne AND TENJO TENGE, AS WELL AS TITLES by Tajima Sho-u (who created the character designs for the anime sequences in the FILM Kill Bill: VOLUME 1) and FUJII MIHONA
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Happy - TJTG will be getting a wider audience.

I'll probably be shutting down the downloads here though. I'll wait a bit to see what is going on though first.
EliteF22
Senpai
Senpai

Post by EliteF22 »

For the love of god Fugu NOOOOO. DC will most definitely edit Tenjo Tenge when they release it and large comic company translations always screw something up, i.e. licensed Love Hina volumes have a bunch of weird sentences.
Mellow Yellow
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Mellow Yellow »

DC? Ugh. That sure came outta nowhere. Well, they're new to the manga game, we'll just have to see what they're gonna pump out. But still, I'd rather buy the originals and have Fugu's translations at the same time :(
Fulsion
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Fulsion »

Lets hope they don't screw anything up (actually as long as they don't cut, edit or remove any of the manga in any way, I'll be happy). Note that link didn't describe TJTG as in depth as all the other mangas ? Hahaha... oh, guess we have a looong wait to catch up to UJ readers...

BTW Fugu, thanks again (you must be getting it a lot, but it's never enough imho) for doing such a great job over the years.
Mellow Yellow
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Mellow Yellow »

Yeah, I can see vol. 5 and 10 having stuff removed, and maybe a editing on a couple of the color inserts (which would really suck). It most likely will be edited in some way (are there any manga out there that haven't been??), but we'll just have to see when and if they put TenTen out, which will probably be like half a year :?
Esca
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Esca »

This should be interesting. Lets hope they do a good job.

I was wondering, will RAW's still be supplied on IRC? Or is that going to stop as well?
ice21
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by ice21 »

hi, my first post
first and foremost: thanks and great work on tjtg!!!
ugh i hate it when they licence manga's 'cause they always screw up on translations and things
and i do think they'll screw up on the translation 'cause tjtg is really verbose. i bet dc won't really understand 1/2 the stuff and do a bad job of translating it, editing out much of the crap and changing it to some stuff that make it really crappy!
GreatTeacherStone
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by GreatTeacherStone »

well it's a whole new company, there is no telling what they'll do! and they did get the editor-in-chief from Raijin Comics which I think was the best of the american manga companies! I'm excited, I'll gladly purchase thier volumes, it's always better to hold manga in your hand instead of scroll with my mouse!
v(^o^)v
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by v(^o^)v »

oh wow..a very shocking news :shock:
is this true or just a rumour?
i hope its not true...
Shin Natsume
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Shin Natsume »

hnm we got teten since 2000..
and nothign got edited.
and it was panninicomics, who are responsible for DC; Marvel and some Mangas in germany.
maybe DC knows what to do?
Till tomorow is a better day to be,
you
Dembol
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Dembol »

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!
Why do they have to license my favourite manga :( ?? Die you stupid DC. :twisted:

Ah, well...I'm gonna buy Japanese originals anyway and maybe the German version too.

Totally Offtopic question: Why do they change mangas so much in the US??
Wouldn't it be easier to rate a manga according to contents, leave a warning on the cover and don't do some terrible and totally unnecessary censorship and editing...
This is how they do it in my country and it works out quite well.
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

Got this in my inbox. No idea if it's legit or not, but I figure this blog has no policy on running unsubstantiated press releases or not, so if it's a prank, it's no biggie. If it is true, congrats to Jake Tarbox, whom I remember fondly from his stint at Gutsoon!
Apparently Manga Jouhou is also treating this as a legit source. Ive actually gone to http://www.dccomics.com/, and I can't find cmxmanga.com. BUt on the other hand why would some one make this up. It might have legitimacy to it. I hope that once they decide to launch CMX they keep true to the original. I have never bought american licsende manga so i don't know how much if anything is cut. Has anyone read Liscensed Berserk? As I understand, Tenge Tenjo volumes come out about every 5 to 6 months (depending on OH great and his UJ release since it does not come out every month), So it sounds like we won't be seeing another volume till 2005, maybe. By that time Fugu had already said he was moving on, right? By that time DC should have gotten thier things together and launch CMX. I guess this is the only way we will get it from now on. Ofcourse, there have been other instances where rumors have surfaced that did not take off (Anyone remember how many years it was rumored that One piece & Naruto anime was licensed, Funanimation finally won One piece). BTW, can you really blame DC for wanting a piece of this multibillion industry. Can you really blame Oh great for wanting to get paid on his cash cow. Life's hard for a manga artist. Here's a question for Fugu, not trying to push anything, but when are going to consider this legit, when it is officially released by DC comics, when Animeon DVD announces. THis kinda goes back to the whole naruto one piece thing, companies like saying "yeah we got the license" when it really more like "we are still trying to negoiate with(artist)". Furthermore are you axing 75?
Ikari
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Ikari »

Any fan should be happy that the manga probably got licensed since he can then buy a legit release and read it. More people will get to know the manga with an English release and the author gets money from it. So stop whining and complaining.

Best thing would be to wait for a more reliable source or a press release and if it's true, hope for an unedited release instead of jumping to conclusions.
User151
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by User151 »

easier said than done. usually ppl who translate the legit release screw up in their translations. Though you are true about author getting the money, it's more likely that the companies will b the one that'll b getting most of it.
It is a good day to die
By the way, Maya is my heroine
Shaggy McDaddy
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Shaggy McDaddy »

pv82 wrote:Has anyone read Liscensed Berserk?
Dark Horse have Berserk and are up to volume 4. At the authors request they've left it uncut and in the original format. Besides some spelling and gramatical mistakes in volume 1 I think they've been doing a good job so far.
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

User151 wrote:easier said than done. usually ppl who translate the legit release screw up in their translations. Though you are true about author getting the money, it's more likely that the companies will b the one that'll b getting most of it.

I strongly agree with that statement, but If anyone has a problem with DC than either buy the manga directly from Nippon & learn Japanese (which is what i plan to do) or start your own group and scanlate yourself. You will have to be aware that sooner or later DC will be knock on your door and tell you what's for. Id think it would be harder to scanalate a licensed product from DC than from ADV and Tokyopop, since those guys have been around since like the 30's. BTW, I wonder what other folks from countries that had this manga licensed already think about our bitchin? It's out in out 4 or 5 other countries, right?
MDVega
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by MDVega »

Of all the companies that could have licensed TT, it could have been much worse than DC. Keep in mind their Vertigo line - with titles like Hellblazer and Preacher, they have as much violence, sex, and profanity as Tenjo Tenge ever did.

I guess it all depends on what kind of marketing DC is going for. If their press release sounds like "Look! Manga for kiddies!", we're in trouble. But if they're treating it as a legitimate mature-readers book, it should work out OK.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

I don't know when, but once it looks like this is serious, I plan to remove the downloads of TJTG. First, I'll finish off chapter 75 (since that should be done by weeks end anyway) and the TJTG Special issue. Actually, I'm pretty sure DC wouldn't go to the trouble to translate that, so I'll release that regardless - it has a lot of interesting information.

I will leave up my HTML translation scripts though, so people that are curious about the DC translation can compare it to mine - it isn't like my translations are 100% accurate either, although I do try to comment on things when I am unsure.

Anyway, good news for TJTG fans, since it should pick up a wider audience in the states, and means the anime is more likely to be released over here too.

As for poor translations, I think that isn't really as much of a problem now as it used to be. The italian version though does seem to have some problems - I was contacted a while back about getting my translation scripts, and they went through and listed all the differences.
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

Thanks

Post by hitori »

I just would like to thank Fugu for your dedication and hard work.
Just scanning and hosting this manga is a tough job, but you translated, edited, and maintained a very active forum as well.
We all saw how you constantly tried new and different things with the site as the number of readers grew, to give them better access.

Thanks again for introducing me to this great manga and bringing together this group of fans.
Even Ogure sensei should thank you because you've created at least one sucker who buys all the TJTG books and merchandise he can lay his hands on. :lol:

Now, I am debating if it'll be worth it for me to get the DC version as it most likely will have larger print than Japanese tankoubons...
Bigger print always looks better.
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Re: Thanks

Post by pv82 »

hitori wrote:I just would like to thank Fugu for your dedication and hard work.
Just scanning and hosting this manga is a tough job, but you translated, edited, and maintained a very active forum as well.
We all saw how you constantly tried new and different things with the site as the number of readers grew, to give them better access.

Thanks again for introducing me to this great manga and bringing together this group of fans.
Even Ogure sensei should thank you because you've created at least one sucker who buys all the TJTG books and merchandise he can lay his hands on. :lol:

Now, I am debating if it'll be worth it for me to get the DC version as it most likely will have larger print than Japanese tankoubons...
Bigger print always looks better.
Heck ya, FUGU IS A ONE MAN ARMY . plus he had ki and some other help. I sure have bought more of Ogure due to this. BTW hitori, the larger print in the specail edition Past arc look pretty good. There was only one part that was censored. The cover of the fight where Maya has the Tiger Tattoo is missing something, i can post if anyone wants to see.
dumbo63
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by dumbo63 »

So it's offcial? Tenjo Tenge is licensed or going to get licensed?
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

dumbo63 wrote:So it's offcial? Tenjo Tenge is licensed or going to get licensed?
Wheels seem to be in motion, nothing is set in stone
Sheky
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Sheky »

Fugu-sama, when you remove the downloads, please don't take the script down. Some people, might not want to wait that long for DC's release and import the books.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Sheky wrote:Fugu-sama, when you remove the downloads, please don't take the script down. Some people, might not want to wait that long for DC's release and import the books.
Please read what I have already written about that. Up above.
chumsy
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by chumsy »

well it was good while it lasted. gonna have to wait at least 3-4 years for it to catch up. thanks fugu and everyone else who helped us leechers ^^. oh and fugu any plans on a future project or are u done? assuming its licensed
Moobah
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Moobah »

=o

First the anime was licensed... now the manga ='(

Well, thanks for doing all the work you've done and will do in near future. I can't wait for 75 and the special... though I'm not sure if the question about if the raws will still be released was answered... will they still be available?
User151
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by User151 »

Well good for you guys. i don't think i can get them here. the gov here is pretty strict with these kind of manga. Let's just hope for the best.

I'm a late comer here so i'm quite new to everything. I just wanna know where can i get the script. Thanks.
It is a good day to die
By the way, Maya is my heroine
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Moobah wrote:though I'm not sure if the question about if the raws will still be released was answered... will they still be available?
I don't see why they wouldn't be. Or why I couldn't keep providing translation scripts of them.
wanfu2k1
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by wanfu2k1 »

FuguTabetai wrote:
Moobah wrote:though I'm not sure if the question about if the raws will still be released was answered... will they still be available?
I don't see why they wouldn't be. Or why I couldn't keep providing translation scripts of them.
Well I just registered to say, Thanks for providing the scanlations to TenTen. I only found out about this manga a couple months ago but I've already got most of the Japanese tanks because of your scans. I hope you will continue to provide translated scripts for this just in case DC desides to mess up their localization, like what Tokyopop did to ikkitousen :(

I really hope DC gives it a proper release, as I wouldn't mind double dipping for this title.
TakCWAL
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by TakCWAL »

Ya know folks... for the longest time we have been leeching off an intellectual work that we should have paid for, and nearly taken for granted from an individual who does not even ask for the slightest compensation.

We have to appreciate what Fugu had done for all of us hungry fans out there, and guess what, we didn't pay him a cent to do it. Now that this manga is to be licensed (even if published from a rather undersireble corporation of sorts), the least we can do is let Fugu off the hook before lawyers come knocking at his door.

Can you really betray your conscious and demand him to risk his wellbeing just so he can translate the manga for us? WE GOT IT FOR FREE, which we SHOULDN'T!

And there also comes a time when intellectual property must be supported. I mean, I am pretty damn sure Oh! Great wasn't working for free. Its time to lose the hair gel and get them manga at Amazon, or wait for your English translations from official publishers.

Just my two cents.

And Fugu, if you were a girl, I'd kiss you.
"Lo, there do I see my father. Lo, there do I see my mother, my sisters, and my brothers. Lo, there do I see the line of my people. They do call to me. They bid me take my place among them. In the halls of Valhalla. Where the brave, may live, forever."
Everon
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Everon »

I've been peering around the net for info, but can't seem to find much. Except for info from the link above and newsarama - which apparently the grotesque site got the info from.
Shinpachi
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Shinpachi »

http://www.dccomics.com/news/article_di ... =cmxlaunch

From DC themselves, same exact article, just released later than newsarama. Argh! I don't mind it being licensed and all, but the problem is that it's not going to be one of their first prints! They're starting 3 other manga's before it!
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

MDVega wrote:
Of all the companies that could have licensed TT, it could have been much worse than DC. Keep in mind their Vertigo line - with titles like Hellblazer and Preacher, they have as much violence, sex, and profanity as Tenjo Tenge ever did.

I guess it all depends on what kind of marketing DC is going for. If their press release sounds like "Look! Manga for kiddies!", we're in trouble. But if they're treating it as a legitimate mature-readers book, it should work out OK.

I love Vertigo. They published The Sandman, The Invisibles, Preacher, Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, etc. Lucifer is on my must read list every month.

BUT.

It's obvious that the degree of sex and violence and mature themes is usually WAY below what you get in manga (And I'm talking Seinen and Shonen, not H, even). OK, maybe not so much mature themes. Nudity is often ridiculously censored even in Vertigo books, sometimes the editors require the artists to redraw certain panels, etc. A lot of violence and sex have to be implied and shown off-panels instead of saying them out loud. Alan Moore had to really push and threaten for the sex scenes in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol. 2, and the dick-licking executives were not at all pleased. For all the hubris about making comics for adults, major US comics companies (ie. those owned by corporations with a stake in repelling 'bad' publicity) are all mouth and no trousers.

Ikari wrote:
Any fan should be happy that the manga probably got licensed since he can then buy a legit release and read it. More people will get to know the manga with an English release and the author gets money from it. So stop whining and complaining.
So what if more people get to know it? Popularity can be a hindrance. I don't mean any offence (and this is all my opinion), but so many Americans seem to think that taking a product, taking it apart, keeping some bits and discarding others, and then rewriting or recreating other pieces to get something resembling the original product is acceptable. Tenjho tenge without the sex or violence, or with any rewriting or editing, is NO LONGER TENJHO TENGE. Full Stop. Period. It is merely some other manga resembling TT, or a spin-off of some sort, or a Twilight Zone reimagining or a 'remake' (like those are ever any good... :roll: ). This applies to all works of art. If the Mona Lisa is loaned to an African Museum for display, you can't say you want to repaint Mona Lisa's nose so that it looks more African in order for the audience to identify with it. Why not recarve or resculpt David so he has a bigger or smaller penis? Or better yet. Sand his dick off so little kids can go view it at the museum. Why stop there? Next time you purchase a jigsaw puzzle with nudity, why not mix in some of the pieces from another puzzle, say, one with a kitten, to remove the naughty bits? Hey, Stephen King can get in on this shit too. They can take the first half of a King novel, the latter parts of a Grisham novel, a few chapters here and there from Danielle Steele, and then tie it all together with filler that someone else wrote, and market it as a new King-Grisham-Steele collaboration novel!

OK, maybe that's extreme, but my point stands. Any body of art is not just the art component or the story component or any other individual component. It is the entire thing, as produced by the artist. I don't particularly care if an artist wishes to edit his art for profit or if an audience somewhere wishes to consume the edited art. It's their right. But if they have the right to that, then I have the right to consume the original, unedited piece as originally produced by the artist. And this choice should be available to everyone.

Dembol wrote:
Totally Offtopic question: Why do they change mangas so much in the US??
Wouldn't it be easier to rate a manga according to contents, leave a warning on the cover and don't do some terrible and totally unnecessary censorship and editing...
This is how they do it in my country and it works out quite well.
Because there are people out there who do not understand that they have neither the right nor the authority to decide how other people choose to live and what other people choose to enjoy (subject to whether anyone else is unwillingly harmed, of course), and there are companies out there that only care about the bottom line and will pander to these people for their profit.
Kaixa
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Kaixa »

I've been following Fugu's work on TJTG for quite a while and I think he deserves a stadium's round of applauses for his dedication. Personally I think Fugu did a great job with Tenjo Tenge. If he wants to stop translating, well that's his right. However, if he does stop, lots of fans of Tenjo Tenge and Fugu's translations will probably mourn, complain, or other silly things.

I personally would wish Fugu to continue inspite of licensing like BakaFish/Inane who does the new Naruto, Meow who keeps doing the Negima, A-Kraze/IY-F who keeps doing Inuyasha Anime, not out of selfishness, but so that all the fans can find out what's going on and not be left with a cliff hanger that would last for years. Fugu wouldn't have translated TJTG if he didn't like it and want to share it with everybody, and there is no reason to hold back just because some company may or may not do it right and will catch up to Fugu's translation in a few years.

I myself own tons of fansubs, but that doesn't stop me from buying the Anime. I own a ridiculous amount of DVD's thanks to fandom. Even though the TJTG Anime can't match the manga, I'll still buy it since Geneon will do a pretty decent job with it. I'm going to be buying the Tankoban's soon for TJTG since it is my favorite manga and I'll probably buy the CMX release if the do a proper job (e.g. don't do what Tokyopop did to Ikkitousen->Battle Vixens, do it like they did Ai Yori Aoshi or Negima but do it better with less flaws).

On any event, thank you Fugu, you're awesome! I just hope you continue. You don't have to of course, but that's what me and probably everybody else on the board would want!
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

Kaixa wrote:
I myself own tons of fansubs, but that doesn't stop me from buying the Anime. I own a ridiculous amount of DVD's thanks to fandom. Even though the TJTG Anime can't match the manga, I'll still buy it since Geneon will do a pretty decent job with it. I'm going to be buying the Tankoban's soon for TJTG since it is my favorite manga and I'll probably buy the CMX release if the do a proper job (e.g. don't do what Tokyopop did to Ikkitousen->Battle Vixens, do it like they did Ai Yori Aoshi or Negima but do it better with less flaws).
Just want to point out that it all pretty depends on the staff and whatnot. Negima is being done by a relatively new company Del Rey/Ray, and thankfully they're doing it right. Other Tokyopop mangas seem okay, ie. from scanlations to what tokyopop puts out seems roughly the same. They did totally screw up Ikkitousen though.. so yea. All we got to hope is CMX will do a good job like Del Rey/Ray and the like.

My two cents on Fugu stopping translating.... I agree with his decision to stop. Wasn't Fugu translating in the first place to spread the popularity of manga not regularly available in the US? He's being doing it for what... four years? The man deserves a break, plus I'm pretty sure he mentioned stopping doing this in an year or two. Sure, we TT fans are going have to wait awhile for the most current releases of the TT manga but hey at least now we can legally buy it. Plus if you really REALLY want to know what's exactly happening in the newest chapter start learning japanese (like some others have suggested). And while fugu will stop doing scanlations, he'll still put up translation scripts for upcoming chapters so one can still keep reading if need be.

Either way, at the end of it all it's all of Fugu. We as fans of TT and of fugu's tireless work should respect his decision and leave it at that. 8)
Ishida
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Ishida »

Man, I just got into TenTen last week.:cry:. I hope you keep the manga volumes that you have translated available on IRC or are you going to take those down too?
TakCWAL
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by TakCWAL »

Folks,

If everything fails, use duct tape (order from Amazon JP).
"Lo, there do I see my father. Lo, there do I see my mother, my sisters, and my brothers. Lo, there do I see the line of my people. They do call to me. They bid me take my place among them. In the halls of Valhalla. Where the brave, may live, forever."
Mellow Yellow
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Mellow Yellow »

Well said, Agent_Wax :D
burrowowl
Doushi
Doushi

Post by burrowowl »

This really isn't something to get upset about. Fugu was going to stop pretty soon anyway. DC got the rights to do the English translation. Anybody that wanted to cough up the money to get those rights could have done so. DC did. Good for them.

That being said, thanks for all the hard work, Fugu! I look forward to seeing the translation of Chapter 75 and/or that Oh Great interview when they're done.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

I will try to make this clear, since maybe my position hasn't been as clear as I thought it was.

I am all for supporting monetarily things that you like. Just like when Great Teacher Onidzuka was licensed by TokyoPop, I will be removing my scanned translations from the web. (Some of you may remember that I translated GTO for about a year getting up to volume 9 or 10 before it was licensed.) My text only HTML translation scripts still are availabled for GTO, by the way.

If you like Tenjo Tenge, you really should support it by buying it. That will encourage more manga to be translated and brought over to the American market.

I did not start translating Tenjo Tenge to popularlize it here. I started translating it because I liked it, and I like to translate manga a bit every day (2-6 pages or so) for myself to keep my Japanese language skills in use. I thought it would be nice to make it available to other people since it is a nice manga that I think has many things to recommend it. (Mostly, an interesting, comlex story aimed at non-idiots.) I also have a pipe dream that manga can be used to help people who are learning Japanese, which is why I also have translations that pop-up English when you mouse over a bubble on the original Japanese scan, not that many people here even know about that. But over the years I have produced over 4000 "pages" (close to 5800 including GTO) of images with pop-ups that have the original Japanese and English translations, as well as software that generates that stuff. This site is mostly due to my wanting to contribute to foreign language learners, but then I quickly found out that people just wanted scans with English on them, so that is what you see. But I started this to keep my language skills in use, and hoped others would be able learn Japanese as well. 1 out of 2 isn't bad though.

I will remove my torrents from the web - since DC has posted their press release, I'll do it pretty soon - early next week probably. I will keep my HTML text only translation scripts up on the web - however, they might have to come down if I hear from DC. Remember, a translation is a derivative work, and copyrights falls to the original copyright holder. Since tenten is now licensed in the US, I assume that DC owns the copyright for US purposes. If they really don't like me distributing text only translations via the web, it is a clear case of copyright infringement, so they will be removed. But I don't think that will be an issue; instead they are just another resource that likely would help drive sales if anything. (Especially if DC's translation is shown to be accurate - since my scripts contain the Japanese as well, they allow those who know both languages to check for that.)

I will finish up chapter 75 and put that out as a last hurrah. I will also translate some of the stuff from the TJTG ultra jump special - it has a really interesting review with Oh! Great in there.

I will endevour to see that the #Manga-Translation IRC channel does not distribute the edits that (Ki Shodar and) I have done, but I don't see any reason why raws with scripts can't be distributed there.

I will continue to translate from the raws (this is, you see, mainly something that I do for myself), which will make it onto text only HTML scripts.

I will be quite sad if I hear of any other groups "scanlating" Tenjo Tenge from my translations, but bet it is likely.
AdrianWerner
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by AdrianWerner »

FuguTabetai wrote:
I will continue to translate from the raws (this is, you see, mainly something that I do for myself), which will make it onto text only HTML scripts.
Wow.. Great to hear that :)
Plus..I realy aprecieate that Fugu is giving us some time to download TT before he takes it down. It`s rare thing.
EliteF22
Senpai
Senpai

Post by EliteF22 »

Oh man, it says releases are supposed to be quarterly. At least three years from start of first volume to get to where we are now. (feints)
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Well, all good things have to end one day, and for all the good things we've been getting lately from this manga--thanks Fugu. Thanks also to Ki for the work he's done. Finally, the manga will be available to widespread consumers, and the manga defintely deserves to be consumed. :P

However I'm also with some of the people here who are worried of the job DC is going to do. They may have that Vertigo label, but Vertigo was clearly intended for more mature readers. I want to know if that somewhat applies to some of the manga they'll be bringing over, what they think of manga in general and their philosophy behind the translation work they'll be doing.

DC, no "dumbing down" please. I want to get my money's worth.

Nevertheless to those who can't wait, go out and buy the Japanese originals and get your fix from there. It'll probably be a better choice in the long run.

And oh yeah... Well said Agent Wax. :wink:
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

Shinpachi wrote:http://www.dccomics.com/news/article_di ... =cmxlaunch

From DC themselves, same exact article, just released later than newsarama. Argh! I don't mind it being licensed and all, but the problem is that it's not going to be one of their first prints! They're starting 3 other manga's before it!
I was soo wrong to think this manga would never make it to US as a licensed product. I am not planing on waiting 3 or four years to see this end. Also, is this going to come with a rating like anime (R, NC-17, NR). Does manga like berserk come with a rating.

I agree with everything Agent Wax has said. Heres somethings I suspect will be cut unless Oh Great asks it not to be

Refrences made about black (afro-amer, or whatever) people. This has caused some conterversy on another forum I read. Someone had the some comment on how Bob was a racist stereotype and another person backed it up with the part that Maya said about bob physique characterisitcs. I curious how PC, DC is going to get.

Nudity- exposed chests might pass, but anything lower than that, Im not sure. Chibi Maya nudity may lie in question there too. Masataka?

Chiaki's rape sequence might stay intact because you don't see anything, but I doubt Enma's torture scene stays uncut.

Licensed Products appearing in the Series- Pepsi, Puma Or Nike or Chuck Taylors I think

I may be wrong about all these, ive been wrong about everything else, so nothing surprises anymore.
Man, when you think about it not much needs to be cut if anything, DC should stay true for the fans sake. If Dark Horse can stay true to Berserk (which contains extreme Gore, violent full drawn rape, way more extreme than TenTen) than theres no excuse why DC can't.
Last edited by pv82 on Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Well, that's Dark Horse after all. I always had the impression that DC--as a whole--aims for a more mainstream, widespread audience. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

I also hope that DC will be releasing the manga in the tankoubon format or in the graphic book format. That's something of a gripe for me regarding Dark Horse's work on Blade of the Immortal.

Regarding some cuts and edits, it seems difficult to outright cut whole scenes and images of nudity. That would considerably shorten the TenTen experience. Plus, fans already recognize TenTen for its fan service and shounen/seinen elements. Then again, they could always ask Oh Great to redraw some panels, and if he's okay with it--too bad. I just hope Oh Great has enough control that he'll be able to pull some strings within the process.

Btw, what does CMX stand for?
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

kujoe wrote:Btw, what does CMX stand for?
Crappy Manga Xperience

No, I am sorry, still upset. I meant Can't Make Xact.
Xenobane
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Xenobane »

fans translation are always the best, same goes with anime.

Those importers just cannot translation original jokes in manga/anime well. I dont know why.
Webmaster of R
DryMaltExtract
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by DryMaltExtract »

Well, if DC does decide to cut TT you/we/everyone could easily bombard them with mail consisting of WTF in long drawn out sentences. It worked on Del Ray in the case of Negima.
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

Nope, I am going to hurt them and support Oh great the only way I know how, Buy the JApanese releases