Tenjou Ep 11

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

animechick262003
Yuurei
Yuurei

Tenjou Ep 11

Post by animechick262003 »

Ummm.. just a little question from aperson new to it all. what i heck is up with Shin's relationship with his sis?
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

People keep asking this, and some people keep trying to insist that there is a borderline incestuous relationsihp, but there isn't. He loves his sister, and feels a special bond to her since she was sympathetic to him through his "Dragon's Eye" induced struggles.
animechick262003
Yuurei
Yuurei

So why did the girl with the glasses imply otherwise when she told Mitsuomi that they were like lovers? What is her motivation? As you can tell I have not read manga, because by the time I was hipped to it, it had been liscensed, so I'm playing catch up here.
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

animechick262003 wrote:So why did the girl with the glasses imply otherwise when she told Mitsuomi that they were like lovers? What is her motivation? As you can tell I have not read manga, because by the time I was hipped to it, it had been liscensed, so I'm playing catch up here.
Maybe she was jealous, and primarily I think she said that to him to make him Jealous. Her original mission was to watch Shin, and help to create the "True Warrior"
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

animechick262003 wrote:So why did the girl with the glasses imply otherwise when she told Mitsuomi that they were like lovers? What is her motivation? As you can tell I have not read manga, because by the time I was hipped to it, it had been liscensed, so I'm playing catch up here.
I don't think that Mana Kuzunoha can be said to be completely unbiased when it comes to Shin. This is, of course, just my opinion, but I really have not seen anything in the original Japanese that hints at an incestuous relationship. A screwed up one, yeah, but that's about it.
animechick262003
Yuurei
Yuurei

Ok, I was just wondering. I found him to behave really irrationally when it comes to her, so I had to ponder over exactly what was going on a second. Also I've not seen much of the other sis to compare their relationship properly. Either way, until I've read the manga, I will have to rest my supsicions, and accept what has been said here. THanks for the response. :P
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

You should make your own decision, but don't go into it biased into thinking "sick pervert!"... That isn't being fair to Shin.
arias
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by arias »

I thought that the "incest" overtones was quite clear.. Given that

1) Shin says "Don't get stronger, just stay by my side" and Maya pretends not to hear that could suggest that there WAS something more than just sibling affection he was expressing. It's a good hint.

2) At the hospital, didn't Maya say something like.. "I guess that's when you started liking me.." before Shin hugged her?

3) Shin was jealous of Mitsuomi, and if that were just sibling love, wouldn't he be glad that a powerful fighter like Mitsuomi could take care of his sister? I thought this was rather telling as well.

Of course, Shin & Maya don't actually do anything. If there were romantic overtones, which I think there was, it was only from Shin for Maya. Maya didn't think exactly the same, although she might have been a little young and confused about her feelings. And Mana also says before she dies that she was not able to possess Shin's heart.. but at least she'll take his tears along with her. I thought it was another subtle imply that his heart was with Maya.

I never thought of Shin as a sick pervert.

With a sister as hot as that, who would?
animechick262003
Yuurei
Yuurei

Nope, I don't think of him as a sick pervert, just a guy who quite possibly may be in love with his younger sis. Although the feeling may or may not be reciprocated. Either way, I picked up on the same thing Arias did, as far as him saying he never wants her to leave his side. He not only says this once , but twice. ( Don't know many bro wanting their sis to always be by their side) Why wouldn't he want her to get stroger? Why does he want her to be forced to rely on him? And he seemed to fly off into a fit of rage after seeing her do harmless exercise routine with Mitsuomi. End the end, I will read, and come to a clearer conclusion, but for now I think, he has some felings for his sister that are a little beyond the norm. I tell my sister go away and stay away. Eh...she like a freaking boomer rang though the bum! LOL!!!!
arias
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by arias »

Right, his feelings for his sister are "a little beyond the norm". I never thought of it perverse since I'm not really so *ugh* against incest or such. For me the sadness was it not being reciprocated, and of course, his madness and rage, and the beautiful tragedy formed a very nice story arc for me.
animechick262003
Yuurei
Yuurei

One more thing, after he has killed their parent's (I;m assuming he's responsible) he looks at her and says. Now they can always be together. I know they were young, but it points out infactuation for Mya has existed for a long time.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

I think people here don't know what incest is then; it is not a strong love for a sibling. It is (from the Merriam-Webster dictionary) [quote]Main Entry: in
Nobody1898
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Nobody1898 »

I think that maybe shin is in love with maya in a way that could have incestous intent but at the same time he knows that he cannot cross that line. Anyway you look at it, thier relationship was a great why to create much more emotion, drama, and interest by Oh! great.
animechick262003
Yuurei
Yuurei

Agrees with nobody. I think he understands his feelings clearly and realizes that they are not acceptable, that's why when he said he wanted her to stay by his side, he said it to her back, and when she questioned what it was he'd said, he replied, Nothing. If his feelings are truly harless he should simply tell her, but I don't think they're harmless. As far as his wanting her to love him, it's obvious she does, but diplays it other than how he would like. Also his obsessionwith keeping her from gaining strength also plays into her reaction towrds him, her defiance what have you, (The katana hunting) So it appears they're on a never ending merry go rond up until he dies.
Last edited by animechick262003 on Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chumsy
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by chumsy »

strange how come shin never mentions his other sister aya?
animechick262003
Yuurei
Yuurei

Chumsy, I was wondering the exact same thing. I'm guesing that she 's onl y,what maybe two years younger than Maya, and maybe four years younger than Shin at most. I would suspect he would be fiercely protective of both, yet his interest only seems to be with Maya. Anyhow about the definition of incest. Agrees with what it says. I don't think anyone is implying a sex act took place between the two, but rather there are incestuous overtones. The overtones are so there ,and hinted at ,that a person like me who has never read the manga has picked up on it. As you (Fugu) said he was insanely jealous of Mitsuomi. The key word is Insanely. He killed ( I'm assuming) some people that night after seeing her in the dojo with Mits. That in it self is not normal behavior.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Well, SHin most likely doesn't care about Aya, her being so silly and all :)
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

I don't really think the Shin-Maya relationship was truly incesteous. Sure it was complicated, but anything remotely incest about it, is at best, implied for the sake of inviting criticism. That's all.

I think their relationship should be placed within the context of their situation in the past arc. Who does Shin turn to in a situation like his? His father who imprisoned him? Aya, who was probably still too young or too naive to understand? All he really had was Maya--and after going through the hell that was his childhood, I don't find it surprising that he became too protective of his sister's affection.

Moreover, the thought of losing her to another man clearly had a dark effect in him, which led him to protect Maya's entire presence in his life and keep it for himself. No wonder Mana describes them as if they were "lovers," because frankly, they truly acted and lived like such--denying everything and everyone else except themselves...at least from Shin's point of view.
animechick262003
Yuurei
Yuurei

Good point, so he was imprisoned? Didn't know that. That offers me a ew light from which I can examine this situation. whywas he imprisoned?
Cypher-Khan
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Cypher-Khan »

animechick262003 wrote:Good point, so he was imprisoned? Didn't know that. That offers me a ew light from which I can examine this situation. whywas he imprisoned?
'cause he touched Reiki...

His dad gave the blade to Maya because unlike Aya or Shin she had no Dragon's Eye... so she acted as a "harmless sheath" for the blade.

Of course, Maya being rather young, imediatley showed off her new toy to her bro. Of course despite not being allowed to let other people touch it she lets Shin; thus Shin gets locked up 'cause his dad thinks he cant handle the power (which, he cant). He also dosent want to suffer the wrath of the higher ups.

- Im not keeping current with the anime - so i didnt know that they left that out.. (umm, maybe they just havent got to that place)...

I also cast my vote to just a abnormally deep affection for his sister and not anything disturbing. I mean, she was the only person he came in contact with while he was trapped there. (Unless, someone else brought him food to ensure he didnt die of starvation... which is entirely possible nless his father was a real bastard.)
jimmy1200
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by jimmy1200 »

IF SHE WAS MY SISTER I WOULD BANG HER :P
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

Waoh, Way tooo hardcore :shock: , Maybe it she was a step sister :twisted:
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

jimmy1200 wrote:IF SHE WAS MY SISTER I WOULD BANG HER :P
I bet she'd puncture your liver before you could get your pants down :twisted:
jimmy1200
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by jimmy1200 »

well of course she would have to agree with my sexual cravings also :shock: i didnt say rape :?
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

jimmy1200 wrote:well of course she would have to agree with my sexual cravings also :shock: i didnt say rape :?
No, but you did say 'BANG' ... which isn't the best word for concentual intercourse ...