Ultra Jump Tenjo Tenge Special Issue Rant

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Ultra Jump Tenjo Tenge Special Issue Rant

Post by pv82 »

This is kinda early, but I wanted to start ranting about this
Things I found interesting

Ryuuzaki Tsutomu
His direction has also changed 2 or 3 times since serialization started, but he's an important initial planned character. Being a flame elemental user would normally be on par with the main characters but, I feel like it was kind of a waste to give this power to him.
Sounds like he should have given the flame elemetal to someone else, but I think him having the Flame Elemental played an important part of the story. Like when he got trashed by Saga Mask, it showed me that not matter what technique you learn, "A fight is a fight". It showed that even people who don't posses these techniques can still kick ass.

Kagurazaka
He uses "gay Tae Kwon Doe". I haven't had a good chance to show him off yet, and I probably won't have a good chance from here on out either. My first gay character. After drawing him, I made an acquaintance with a gay man for the first time and came to understand what it means to be gay, and right then I decided I couldn't use him as much. Regrettable...
Aw man :( , that character was funny as hell too.

Tagami Shirou

Actually, I really like tihs guy. When I was asked to do a special on Tenjo Tenge, I was a little sad when my idea of drawing a short story about him was instantly dismissed. Just like Isuzu, he portrays the characteristics of the now extinct Japanese man.
Funny, you would think after all the lost batttles this guys has face, he would be the least favorite. I think its regretable that we didn't get see the short story. Yes, the past arc is great but ive already seen it.

In fact, If you are fan of the past arc and don't want to wait for DC, I would highly recommend this publication. The paper it was printed is almost, if not better quality than the manga editions, and it is way better print that the "newspaper" quality of Ultra Jump. Not to mention its in a larger size than the Mangas. Something DC has not promised to do.
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

Where did you get this? Hakase Fugu hasn't made it available yet.
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

pv82 wrote:Ryuuzaki Tsutomu
His direction has also changed 2 or 3 times since serialization started, but he's an important initial planned character. Being a flame elemental user would normally be on par with the main characters but, I feel like it was kind of a waste to give this power to him.
Sounds like he should have given the flame elemetal to someone else, but I think him having the Flame Elemental played an important part of the story. Like when he got trashed by Saga Mask, it showed me that not matter what technique you learn, "A fight is a fight". It showed that even people who don't posses these techniques can still kick ass.
Well, you have to admit--Ryuuzaki is MIA right now. In fact, the highlight of his life was when he became a punching bag for Saga Mask. :P Or maybe Oh! Great wanted to use the element of fire again, but chose not too since Ryuuzaki already has it. We'll probably see him again, but I doubt his role will be that important.

Actually, I like how he described Isuzu and Tagami--how he designed their characters with ideal archetypes in mind.

Agent_Wax: Fugu provided a link of what he has translated so far. It's in the "strongest jyuukenbu member" thread I think.
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

http://tjtg.mangatranslation.com/TJTG_s ... Trans.html

Ive been reading it daily, the info coming out of it is really good.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Why are the images out ?
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Banorac wrote:Why are the images out ?
I don't have the bandwidth to host that stuff off of HTTP. When I'm done (not too much longer now, just have to do the Families stuff, and intro / outro pages) then I'll pack up the whole thing and put it out via BitTorrent.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

pv82 wrote: Masataka Takayanagi

Aw that sucks, he must have really wanted to go in a diffrent direction as far a main characters go, I guess. I can understand the unhappy part, but I wonder what his good situation is?
The good situation is that he's getting more face time, and is in a better position with respect to Aya. Oh! Great has also had a chance to show him off a bit more in fights lately. That's what he was talking about there.
pv82 wrote: Ohhh, more foreshadowing. Is Mental Universe what he used in the Madoka and Fu fights? I wonder if Mitsuomi knows how to use Mental Universe as well. Maybe Masataka has an advantage on his brother there.
Yes, that is what he used. I don't know much about what Mitsuomi knows - that never came up in the past...
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

FuguTabetai wrote:
Banorac wrote:Why are the images out ?
I don't have the bandwidth to host that stuff off of HTTP. When I'm done (not too much longer now, just have to do the Families stuff, and intro / outro pages) then I'll pack up the whole thing and put it out via BitTorrent.
That's great, thans Fugu :)

Oh yeah, on a side note, in pv82's last post it says 'Coupe de ta' ... This should be 'coup d'
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

Sorry Banorac, I am not really good at speaking Franch :wink:
Last edited by pv82 on Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

pv82 wrote:Aw that sucks, he must have really wanted to go in a diffrent direction as far a main characters go, I guess. I can understand the unhappy part, but I wonder what his good situation is?
Oh! Great didn't really expect TT to get this far, right? Actually, I think Masataka would've been more suitable as the main character if the manga lasted for 3 to 5 volumes. Ironically, after Masataka defeated Nagi, the focus started to shift to a different direction. And thanks to the past arc, the general direction of the manga was eventually sealed.
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

kujoe wrote:And thanks to the past arc, the general direction of the manga was eventually sealed.:
And yet what's ahead is still unknown for all the characters
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

pv82 wrote:And yet what's ahead is still unknown for all the characters
Hey, that what's fueling our discussions here. :wink:

With the way things are now, I doubt Oh! Great would be able to come up with an ending that would address every single character. Just the important ones. The rest will probably be up to the reader based on what he/or she has read. Most manga stories have this kind of ending--the "open-ended yet closed enough" ending that both annoys and satisfies everybody.
Sz
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Sz »

Well, Masataka does have the most depth of any of the TJTG characters... I mean, consider:

-He's a smart, nice guy
-He's strong
-He's got a slow but explosive temper
-He's rather clumsy and a bit of a goofball
-He's in a constant (and often losing) struggle against his hormones
-He always tries his best

So it seems pretty obvious to me that a lot of thought was put into his character. (it's because of this that he's easily my favorite character in the series... he's so ... human)

... some really interesting stuff in there ...
-Sz
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

One thing I Find confusing is in the TTUJSI is the results announced of the anime fights. In Nagi and Masataka fight it says Masataka Beat Nagi, but I have always understood that Techinically, the win was nagi's since he did land the hit on Masataka :?: . Something funny is it says Aya V.S. Chiaki, with Aya as the winner :lol: (Referring to the Bath Scene :wink: ).

Kabane
Currently, what sort of role, or Dragon's Gate this family has is still a mystery. Kabane itself has to do with corpses but ... !?
WTF? :?

Shoujo
The Shyoujyou family, just like the Wani family, is at this stage completly wrapped up in mystery. Shyoujyou is similar to a live version of that monkey from Chinese legends, and should be careful about drinking alcohol...!?
Shoujo's familiy Dragon's gate= Drunken Dragon Monkey Paw? :lol: . Dam you Oh! Great for keeping us in the dark :!:
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

pv82 wrote:
Shoujo
The Shyoujyou family, just like the Wani family, is at this stage completly wrapped up in mystery. Shyoujyou is similar to a live version of that monkey from Chinese legends, and should be careful about drinking alcohol...!?
Shoujo's familiy Dragon's gate= Drunken Dragon Monkey Paw? :lol: . Dam you Oh! Great for keeping us in the dark :!:
he's like Goku and has a extend-able pole? er... can go super sayian? :lol:
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

Among all of the 6 White Feather Founding Families, they take care of the naval aspects, and are experts in other unique areas. We do not have any information at all on their current leader.
Ah, so, I can see it now... BIKINI SCENES!! :twisted:

The only really famous monkey in Chinese legends is Sun Wukong / Hanuman the Monkey King (San Goku in Japanese).

The kanji for Shyoujyou means "Orangutang". I don't know what the bit about the drinking alcohol is.
Note that Orangutans are NOT monkeys. I don't know that alcohol bit either.
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

pv82 wrote:In Nagi and Masataka fight it says Masataka Beat Nagi, but I have always understood that Technically, the win was nagi's since he did land the hit on Masataka :?:
Wasn't it even Masataka who suggested that rule?

Given that rule was in effect, perhaps one can say that Masataka technically "lost"--but it was really Nagi who felt like the loser. There's really no way for Nagi to proclaim that fight as his victory.

However, Nagi gets bonus points from me for using Aya's lunch when he sucker punched Masataka. :lol:
Among all of the 6 White Feather Founding Families, they take care of the naval aspects, and are experts in other unique areas.
Uhm, let me guess...

Swimming!? :lol:
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Agent_Wax wrote: Note that Orangutans are NOT monkeys.
Apes actually :)
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

I found some interesting side information (though not directly related). It's from an article published in Kara-Te Magazine (Blitz Publications, Australia):

Yari
In terms of historical significance, the Japanese spear or Yari is second only to the bow and arrow. The Yari was used by men and women of the samurai class and has been a part of Oriental weaponry for thousands of years. Bujutsu schools specializing in the use of the weapon (sojutsu) abounded in Japan, each teaching a different method of Yari fighting.

Higher-ranking Japanese Bushi carried his spear when on horseback, fastened to his leg or stirrup in an iron or copper spear nest called a yari-ate. Foot soldiers carried theirs on their shoulders. The Yari wa primarily used as a thrusting weapon and existed in several forms including the pipe spear and the 3-bladed spear.

There were 2 major arts of spear usage: yari-jutsu - the art of the straight spear; and naginata-jutsu - the art of the curved spear. Each art was subdivided into numerous styles concerned with the use of various long and short spears and javelins. Each style shared a number of common basic techniques including strikes, thrusts, and parries.

Today the yari is used only in yari kata, though knowledge of such kata is not widespread.

Tsumuji Sr used a typical Yari while Jr. wielded a javelin design.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

well, I'm pretty done with this. The stuff left to translate is the intro page, outro page, possibly the anime fan pages (I'm not really interested in translating those), the Complete References page (interesting, but I'm not sure if I want to translate it or not - I'm not an artist myself) and the voice actors info pages. I'm not interested in those really either.

so I might just translate the intro / outro pages, and put the thing up.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

well, I'm headed out for a week tomorrow, so I won't be around. I didn't get around to finishing this up, so maybe when I get back. Might even translate some of the Reference Works stuff. anyway, don't mess the place up while I'm gone.
Shoryuken24
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Shoryuken24 »

have fun! and don't stay up too late. =)
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

WOOHOOO!!! Party time! I'll bring the beer. Kujoe, you get the pizza, and pv82, get us some strippers! :P

Seriously though, I have some questions. I just realised something: during Shin's fight with Bunshichi, how did Shin make Bunshichi 'see' himself get killed? Was Shin using Dragon Pupil then? If so, does that mean that all Dragon Eye users can naturally use Dragon Pupil as well?

Secondly, Ishiyumi only has 7 gates, so that means that his bow is a manifestation of those gates, and if Soichirou can steal his bow, doesn't that mean that his 'exorcising' ability is not limited to only 8th gates (ie. he can steal abilities not generated by the additional 8th gate, which seems to be the case here.)?
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Agent_Wax wrote:WOOHOOO!!! Party time! I'll bring the beer. Kujoe, you get the pizza, and pv82, get us some strippers! :P
Nahh... I'd rather get the strippers. pv82 can take care of the pizzas! :P
Agent_Wax wrote:Seriously though, I have some questions. I just realised something: during Shin's fight with Bunshichi, how did Shin make Bunshichi 'see' himself get killed? Was Shin using Dragon Pupil then? If so, does that mean that all Dragon Eye users can naturally use Dragon Pupil as well?
My understanding was that the Enmi kid can create illusions, while what happened during the Shin vs. Bunshichi fight was some form of telepathic deception. Hmmm... Good question.
Agent_Wax wrote:Secondly, Ishiyumi only has 7 gates, so that means that his bow is a manifestation of those gates, and if Soichirou can steal his bow, doesn't that mean that his 'exorcising' ability is not limited to only 8th gates (ie. he can steal abilities not generated by the additional 8th gate, which seems to be the case here.)?
Just asking for some clarification: Why did Nagi go nuts in his fight with Mataza? Was it due to some degree of him having stolen Mataza's Dragon's Claw, or was it simply due to the circumstances then? (resonance, went berserk, too much power, etc.) I'm asking this because I'm also wondering if the Nagi Clan's "exorcising" powers also apply to 8th Dragon Gate abilities.
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

kujoe wrote:
Agent_Wax wrote:WOOHOOO!!! Party time! I'll bring the beer. Kujoe, you get the pizza, and pv82, get us some strippers! :P
Nahh... I'd rather get the strippers. pv82 can take care of the pizzas! :P
Get some that look like the Tenjo Tenge Girls :twisted:
Shoryuken24
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Shoryuken24 »

Get some that look like the Tenjo Tenge Girls :twisted:
Hey let me in on this........I call first on Maya.......she's sooo hot!! :twisted: (Isuzu would be fine as well)
Rooster
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Rooster »

Seriously though, I have some questions. I just realised something: during Shin's fight with Bunshichi, how did Shin make Bunshichi 'see' himself get killed? Was Shin using Dragon Pupil then? If so, does that mean that all Dragon Eye users can naturally use Dragon Pupil as well?
It had to be Dragon Eye. It could've been murderous intent if not for Shin knowing what Bunshinchi "saw". IF it is an ability (somewhat apt, an ability that gives visions of future to the user forcing counterfeit visions on others), then I doubt Aya could just use it, Shin probably acquired it from his murderous rampage.
Secondly, Ishiyumi only has 7 gates, so that means that his bow is a manifestation of those gates, and if Soichirou can steal his bow, doesn't that mean that his 'exorcising' ability is not limited to only 8th gates (ie. he can steal abilities not generated by the additional 8th gate, which seems to be the case here.)?
I know seven gates are the norm, but has it been mentioned that the eighth gate is exclusive to the Nagi bloodline? I'm not quite sure what you're after here though, but I've understood he is able to steal any technique that is Dragon-related. They are a police force of sorts after all.
Just asking for some clarification: Why did Nagi go nuts in his fight with Mataza? Was it due to some degree of him having stolen Mataza's Dragon's Claw, or was it simply due to the circumstances then? (resonance, went berserk, too much power, etc.) I'm asking this because I'm also wondering if the Nagi Clan's "exorcising" powers also apply to 8th Dragon Gate abilities.
But what is the eighth Dragon Gate? For the going nuts thing, I think it was a matter of Souichirou increasing his power so he'd be able to top Mataza and he "opened" the Gate too much.

Also, I've always felt that changing your hand and hair colour does not give you a reputation of being demons, so maybe there's more to it. For now the Exorcists seem a little bit too clean to be 'demonhunters'. It should involve rage, guts, blood and glory (as we saw with Mataza, an out of his mind Gate-user is no easy prey). Yes, I'm hoping to see Souichirou unleashing it all and that it won't be so nice and neat.
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

The 8th gate is exclusive to red feathers, and can be stolen by wielders of the Dragon Fist. But that is exactly my question: how did Nagi steal Ishiyumi's bow if it were not an 8th gate ability?
Mataza-kun
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Mataza-kun »

I think because the Nagi Dragon Fist allows the user to eat the "dragon" of the opponent, be it a normale dragon like Earth, Water, and so on, or a special dragon like the 8th gates. So far we've seen both examples: Nagi stealing Ishiyumi water dragon (which is a normal gate), and Makiko eating Souichirou's both Earth and Black dragon (from my point of view, the black hair is Nagi's dragon fist, and then he opened an other gate, that of the earth dragon... that would make sense with Kurei saying "Demon exorcists ability is to open multiple dragon gates" an so on)
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

There are links between the story that is currently being serialized in Ultra Jump, examples of many mysteries, the rebirth of "that man",
Rebirth of "that man"?
I wonder if that is referrring to

True Warrior?

Souhaku?

Shin?
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

well, still d/ling it but just want to say thanks to Fugu for once again providing all of us TT fans something to read and drool over :wink:
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Ah, no problem. I've been really busy lately, so it took me a while to get the rest of it out. Also, there is lots that I didn't translate (the reference works mostly) but there is a lot of interesting stuff in there. The voice actor comments for Kagurazaka and Sagara Mask in particular were pretty funny.

You also get all sorts of options for how to look at the stuff, and super high quality scans. If someone out there can fix the missing bit for the poster and then resize it to something more human (900k or so) please upload it to the Tenjo Tenge section of the mangatranslation.com image gallery...

thx,

fugu
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

I ordered the Ultrajump Special issue, but they couldn't get it anymore :?
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

I think the best answer I read from Oh Great was "No, it's simply that I like women with large breasts. It's a visual thing. They're fun to look at."

the greatest man EVER! heheh

man, reading through this has def cleared up some misinterpretion I had about F and the 12 Founding Families. Also the Dragon Gate powers and whatnot.

btw, is Mawari really Madoka really her dad? cause yea.. how the heck did he spawn such a cutie? lol.
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Jesus! There's a lot of material in here. Thanks for working on this Fugu.

I was particularly impressed at Oh! Great's chosen works for reference. He seems to have everything covered--from car crashes, muscle anatomy, fetishes and much, much more. I've met some good artists who do the same thing, but they pale in comparison to how far Oh! Great has gone.

Another funny part was the description on Bunshichi, as "the man's man..!" and how the past arc was described as his golden age. :lol:
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

Great job Fugu :D . Thank you for translating this.
Enforcer
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Enforcer »

hehe, still haven't had a chance to read it, looks promising thou, with all you guys talking about it :)

Too bad uni doesn't allow bt
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

I've read some of it, as it was getting late when I started reading, it's a good read, thanks for doing this Fugu :)