taking suggestions...

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

shogun gekomon
Tamashii
Tamashii

taking suggestions...

Post by shogun gekomon »

Hey I just finished reading the battle royale series, and im tryin to figure out what to start on next. Battle royale was really harsh, so something a little lighter would probably be good, im thinking about gto, any suggestions?
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Go with GTO :D
Nagi Suichiro
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Nagi Suichiro »

Yes GTO would be the best ^^
shogun gekomon
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by shogun gekomon »

bedankt banorac, is er veel humor in gto?
is het mogelijk TOUGH te vinden en engels? ik heb het allen in frans gezien
doei :lol:
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

shogun gekomon wrote:bedankt banorac, is er veel humor in gto?
is het mogelijk TOUGH te vinden en engels? ik heb het allen in frans gezien
doei :lol:
Haha :D

Gto zit *vol* met humor, maar blijkbaar is hiet niet ieders humor, ik vind het vreselijk en hilarisch goed :D
Tough ken ik niet :p

( To the others, shogun gekomon started talking to me in dutch , my native language, so I replied in dutch :p
Was just saying GTO contains lots of humour, but that not evryone likes the humor, though I love it :twisted: )
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Yeah, GTO would be a good manga series to pick up next. It's a got good mix of everything, and the artwork is noteworthy in my opinion.

Since you're also into Tenjo Tenge, you might want to try Air Gear and see if that interests you. It certainly has a lighter mood than TenTen, and you might enjoy that especially after something like Battle Royale.
shogun gekomon
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by shogun gekomon »

hmm, guess ill check out gto then
.....its 24 volumes long!??
:shock:
i can do it, just need to remortgage my house, get a student loan, donate some blood....
i had a look at air gear, it looks alright but im not too crazy about the whole "jump fighting" thing..
and when the hell is dc bringing out tjtg?
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

GTO is a whopping 25 volumes. Personally, that's a lot.

Plus, Tokyopop's work on it isn't so bad either. It's "safe" to go for their releases--that is, if you're prefer to read the manga in English.

So yeah... Happy buying. :)
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

kujoe wrote: Plus, Tokyopop's work on it isn't so bad either. It's "safe" to go for their releases--that is, if you're prefer to read the manga in English.
I've always been curious about thier work - I've been meaning to buy one or two of the GTO translations, since I translated the first 10 volumes or so myself. GTO was the first manga I ever read. Sadly, I just never have the time to read manga, and when I do have a bit of time, I like to translate some new stuff. (Currently, I'm working on "West Street Story", the other non-H story in the Naked Star collection.)
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

shogun gekomon wrote: and when the hell is dc bringing out tjtg?
feb 2005 8)
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

FuguTabetai wrote:
kujoe wrote: Plus, Tokyopop's work on it isn't so bad either. It's "safe" to go for their releases--that is, if you're prefer to read the manga in English.
I've always been curious about thier work - I've been meaning to buy one or two of the GTO translations, since I translated the first 10 volumes or so myself. GTO was the first manga I ever read. Sadly, I just never have the time to read manga, and when I do have a bit of time, I like to translate some new stuff. (Currently, I'm working on "West Street Story", the other non-H story in the Naked Star collection.)
It's not that bad--as in, it's not "Battle Vixens" bad. While I'm not in the position to speak for the translation itself, I can at least say that the characters sound natural from where they're coming from. In fact, I think it's good.

However, the one glaring thing that I don't like about it is the fact that Tokyopop translated the name of the school as "Holy Forest Academy." Personally, I subsribe to the "rule" that if it's a name of a place or a person, it should be absolutely kept in its original form no matter what language it's in. In the end, it's just a minor detail that one can get used to, so it can easily be overlooked and perhaps even justified.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

kujoe wrote:GTO is a whopping 25 volumes. Personally, that's a lot.

So yeah... Happy buying. :)
Well, I wouldn't say it's a lot :)
Myung-Lee is aiming for 40 with his manwha Ragnar
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

kujoe wrote: It's not that bad--as in, it's not "Battle Vixens" bad. While I'm not in the position to speak for the translation itself, I can at least say that the characters sound natural from where they're coming from. In fact, I think it's good.

However, the one glaring thing that I don't like about it is the fact that Tokyopop translated the name of the school as "Holy Forest Academy." Personally, I subsribe to the "rule" that if it's a name of a place or a person, it should be absolutely kept in its original form no matter what language it's in. In the end, it's just a minor detail that one can get used to, so it can easily be overlooked and perhaps even justified.
That's really strange. The kanji for the name of the school (Toudou Gakuen) would be "overall; relationship; ruling; governing" "road-way; street; district; journey; course; moral; teachings", and of course, Gakuen (just a type of school.) So they really took some liberties. I'm suprised they wouldn't have chosen a more appropriate name, given the obvious stronge choice of Japanese name originally.
shogun gekomon
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by shogun gekomon »

Why doesn't tokyopop translate sound effects?
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

shogun gekomon wrote:Why doesn't tokyopop translate sound effects?
Ha, don't know, Ragnar
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

I don't always translate sound effects either; it isn't worth the effort. For the most part, a glossing of what the sound is somewhere (in the gutter perhaps) is sufficient, and much can be understood from context. Re-drawing the art to accomodate translated sound effects just isn't worth it, IMHO. Also, I would prefer to see the artist's original drawn effects for their artistic style in many cases.

But I don't know why TokyoPop wouldn't do it. Maybe they feel the same way I do.
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

FuguTabetai wrote:That's really strange. The kanji for the name of the school (Toudou Gakuen) would be "overall; relationship; ruling; governing" "road-way; street; district; journey; course; moral; teachings", and of course, Gakuen (just a type of school.) So they really took some liberties. I'm suprised they wouldn't have chosen a more appropriate name, given the obvious stronge choice of Japanese name originally.
I'm confused. Is the name of Onizuka's school Toudou Gakuen also? :?
Dark Horse's Blade of the Immortal has translated sound effects. Samura had to redraw some of those panels. It was his decision, but I suspect that it was nevertheless under the request of Studio Proteus. They claim that some sound effects were left untouched with respect to the art of the original, but it's more often that they're edited nowadays.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

kujoe wrote:I'm confused. Is the name of Onizuka's school Toudou Gakuen also? :?
No, I thought that you were talking about Tenjo Tenge. My mistake. I can't (off the top of my head) remember Onidzuka's school's name.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

I just gt GTO 6 :)

Maybe a little off topic, but does anyone have any idea where I can find info on the non-translated Ragnar
shogun gekomon
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by shogun gekomon »

Hey i got the first volume of gto, i like it, but it reminds me of the first volume of yuyu hakusho for some reason...
anyway if fugus reading, theres a chapter where onizuka and his motorcycle gang are about to kick those 3 guys' who took the picture of oni with nana's asses. And he's wearing a headband that says "butthole eliminator", my friend who speaks japanese says that the correct translation is "jerk off destroyer"( he's read gto in japanese)
and i was wondering, which is right?
thx
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

If I'd read this this morning I could've compared with the French translation, I'll try to remember by this weekend :)
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

shogun gekomon wrote:Hey i got the first volume of gto, i like it, but it reminds me of the first volume of yuyu hakusho for some reason...
anyway if fugus reading, theres a chapter where onizuka and his motorcycle gang are about to kick those 3 guys' who took the picture of oni with nana's asses. And he's wearing a headband that says "butthole eliminator", my friend who speaks japanese says that the correct translation is "jerk off destroyer"( he's read gto in japanese)
and i was wondering, which is right?
thx
What page is it? You can check my script (text only, images aren't there) http://fugutabetai.com/software/gmao/co ... Trans.html

Going back to check, all of my scans from vol. 1 and 2 have mysteriously disappeared. Bummer. I put a lot of time into that.
shogun gekomon
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by shogun gekomon »

Shounan Amida Buddha ....?

a bit different than "butthole eliminator"....
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

shogun gekomon wrote:Shounan Amida Buddha ....?

a bit different than "butthole eliminator"....
Shounan is the area that Onidzuka grew up in - see Shounan Jyunai Gumi (a comic with Onidzuka and Danma Ryuji in their high school years.) Amida is the name of the Buddha (Amitabha), and is kind of funny in this context, because Onidzuka is anything but a peaceful love-promoting figure in that scene...

But, who can blame the translator for using "Butthole Eliminator"? It is just as nuanced a joke.

I also do blame myself for not including that info in my translation - back when I was doing GTO I didn't have the "Translator Note" feature for including such notes innoculously. And, my Japanese wasn't as good back then to boot...