CMX TT Vol 1 in February

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

CMX TT Vol 1 in February

Post by Agent_Wax »

CMX's Tenjho Tenge Volume 1 ships in February. Solicitations for Previews should be available later this month, and you can officially order the book in December.
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

nice... thanks for the update on that! :D
Zhou
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Zhou »

Have you guys seen the cover? I really didn't like the design, and much of the original artwork (including Aya's panties) was cut out of it. Hopefully the interiors will make up for it.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Where did you even get this information, the official CMX site has no information when I look op 'tenge'

And where did you (Zhou ) find a pic of the cover ? :)
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Zhou wrote:Have you guys seen the cover? I really didn't like the design, and much of the original artwork (including Aya's panties) was cut out of it. Hopefully the interiors will make up for it.
I presume you're referring to the original cover from volume 1.

This might sound like a perverted question, but how can Aya's panties be cut out of the picture? Was it colored out, or was it redrawn?
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

kujoe wrote:
Zhou wrote:Have you guys seen the cover? I really didn't like the design, and much of the original artwork (including Aya's panties) was cut out of it. Hopefully the interiors will make up for it.
I presume you're referring to the original cover from volume 1.

This might sound like a perverted question, but how can Aya's panties be cut out of the picture? Was it colored out, or was it redrawn?
They might have gicen her thick stockings...
That, or granny pants :P
Zhou
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Zhou »

Banorac wrote:And where did you (Zhou ) find a pic of the cover ? :)
In the first issue of The Intimates (and all of DC/Wildstorm's books for November, I guess), there's an editorial about DC's new manga line. It shows the cover for Tenjho Tenge #1, among other manga titles.
kujoe wrote:This might sound like a perverted question, but how can Aya's panties be cut out of the picture? Was it colored out, or was it redrawn?
Check this scan:

FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Horrible. With that cover, I probably never would have picked TJTG up when I was wandering around Akihabara two years or so (was it longer?) ago. At least it is just a crop of the original image, and not something re-drawn by someone else. :P
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Lets hope it's just a mock-up
EliteF22
Senpai
Senpai

Post by EliteF22 »

Ewwww. If panties showing was enough to warrant a crop, I wonder how the nudity scenes are going to turn out.
Zhou
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Zhou »

EliteF22 wrote:Ewwww. If panties showing was enough to warrant a crop, I wonder how the nudity scenes are going to turn out.
I don't think DC is going to censor the interior artwork. The CMX line is supposed to be 100% uncut manga.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Myeah, supposed :)
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

I've noticed that American comic books generally tend to go "up, close and personal" when it comes to comic book covers, but this is just too much. From the looks of that pic, it looks like some low-res mess.

But the lettering of the title...!

Man, I really hope that's not the final draft of the cover.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Sure that isn't a fake ?
I mean 'Tenjho Tenge', they'd normally translate it, right :?
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

No. It varies, but they've licenced it as "Tenjho Tenge".

Relax people, it may be just a promotional mock-up. This happens! And even it's not, you don't have to buy it. You have your scanaltion, or you can buy a Japanese copy.

So, relax. 8)
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

I'm not going to buy it enniway, three reasons :

1. I have the entire French series
2. It's already up to volume 10
3. French volumes cost something around 6
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

http://www.dccomics.com/cmx/?action=on_sale&i=11

At least it comes with a Mature Readers label.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

And yet they still clip her panties :roll:
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

I just got wind of news that CMX books are not available in the UK...
Don't know how true that is.
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Well, I hope it's going to be available here. I guess I'll be looking into this, and hopefully a store sells it.

And if it's indeed true that CMX books won't be available in the UK, perhaps we can assume that there's another company planning to release it over there?
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

I wonder if they are going release with 2 month interval like some of the other titles.
Shinpachi
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Shinpachi »

Eck, the close up just makes it look lazy... But yeah, I gotta agree with someone else who said it, if they're cropping the cover to get rid of panties, can we really expect them not to "touch up" the explicit scenes?
Sheky
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Sheky »

Mehness. Total Mehness. We waited this long for this!? Looks like I might have to import after all.
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

I'm still planning to buy it though.

And if the content makes up for the cover, (we're such picky people, aren't we? :P ) then I just might continue to buy it.
Rooster
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Rooster »

I wouldn't rip off my pants just for a zoomed up cover. Some people might think it too lewd to buy if she was already showing her merchandise on the cover to buy it, and the other people, well, she's still showing a lot of leg there.

Additionally, as has already been said, it has a "mature readers" label. I for one would be insulted if I bought a comic book with said label and had all my violence and gratuitous nudity and sex scenes censored.
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

Doesn't The Cover kinda go back on the Whole "UNCUT MANGA!!!" theme
Plus the panties are pretty tame when 3 or 4 chapters into the manga you get a shower scene, not to mention the first sex scene later on :?
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

It's all about the marketing.

They don't want to be too blatant with the ecchiness on the cover, since that's what people base their first opinion on.

DC Comics isn't selling TJTG to hardcore fans only. They have other consumer groups to think about. And some people would consider the cover too risque.

I don't know if TJTG would be selling in shrink wrap, like other mature readers manga, but if it is - more reason to get those panties off the cover.

Pretty simple really.
Shinpachi
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Shinpachi »

One can only wonder what they'll do to the 3rd volume cover, and the 12th volume's too far away to think about.
Starakin
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Starakin »

well of course they can paint some clothes on
Ruroni
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Ruroni »

I wasnt aware american comic book companies put women in undershot panties on the covers, this is just from my experience(from the 50GB of comics I have from DC/Marvel/etc).
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Try buying the comics...
zip
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by zip »

maybe it's just a zoomed up pic for the net. it looks like that too me.
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the actual cover. I think I remember seeing some other CMX work while I was looking through Borders' manga section. Same exact style w/ that photo-cutout type thingie going on. :?
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

It like Agent wax said, DC has a history of cutting and removing stuff out. They could fool us all and Mist that stuff out. Hey, it would still be considered uncut right :lol: .
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

I don't wish to be the bearer of bad news, but there is a 3-page sneak preview of TT Vol.1 in the new issue of Previews. It's a part of the Masa-Souichiro fight in the canteen. While 3 pages is not much to judge by, it's certainly... not good. Not really bad either, but definitely nowhere near Fugu's level... :(

We should all lower our expectations a notch to prevent mass wrist-slashing in February.
EliteF22
Senpai
Senpai

Post by EliteF22 »

Could someone perhaps scan and post the preview? I liked to see what they creatively altered.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

You mean crappy translations ?
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

Well, it's not really possible to judge the quality of translations yet, but I did get a whiff of that "35-year-old-trying-to-write-hip-teenage-slang" unpleasantness. It may just be that I'm too spoilt, of course. The meaning of the dialogue is there. Just sounds a little forced.

My main beef is that they translated the sound effects. That's not really a big deal, except that it looks like something my kid sister photoshopped on her PC. Very distracting.

I don't know how the fanservice is going to be handled. The only panel in the preview with Aya's panties have a "COMING IN FEBRUARY!" blurb sign where her panties are.
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

Agent_Wax wrote:Well, it's not really possible to judge the quality of translations yet, but I did get a whiff of that "35-year-old-trying-to-write-hip-teenage-slang" unpleasantness. It may just be that I'm too spoilt, of course. The meaning of the dialogue is there. Just sounds a little forced.
Sounds like Keith Giffen's handy work :evil:
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

damn it.. better not be like another Ikkitousen, oh my bad I mean "Battle Vixens" translations crap. :evil: :evil:
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Agent_Wax wrote:My main beef is that they translated the sound effects. That's not really a big deal, except that it looks like something my kid sister photoshopped on her PC. Very distracting.
For some reason, this bothers me more than the possibility of having crappy translations.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Curious about sfx translation

Post by FuguTabetai »

I'm just curious about the SFX translation thing, but generally I put a phonetic translation in the gutter, or written small over the larger sound effect. I don't usually translate it into English, although I will sometimes give the meaning (if there is one that isn't totally obvious) in addition to the phonetic translation.

Do people usually prefer translated sound effects, edited in?
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

moyism wrote:damn it.. better not be like another Ikkitousen, oh my bad I mean "Battle Vixens" translations crap. :evil: :evil:
Why ? What should it translate to ?
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Something like "Strength of a Thousand"
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

I also meant the general translation they did for it. There's so much slang and cursing in the translation, which I seriously doubt is what the original says.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Don't they usually take cursing out O.o
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Banorac wrote:Why ? What should it translate to ?
MrProphet wrote:Something like "Strength of a Thousand"
Oh man. No offense guys, but I always get a kick out of this. MrProphet's answer was just like a punchline to some joke. :lol:

Pure comedy.

The translation is just so far off--both in meaning and in tone. I wish I knew what the translator was going for with regard to his audience. Perhaps if I knew, I could understand his choice of words more.
Banorac wrote:Don't they usually take cursing out O.o
From the single page I've seen, I say that they added more instances of cursing. It's as if everybody were talking in slang.
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

Post by hitori »

kujoe wrote:Oh man. No offense guys, but I always get a kick out of this. MrProphet's answer was just like a punchline to some joke. :lol:

Pure comedy.

The translation is just so far off--both in meaning and in tone. I wish I knew what the translator was going for with regard to his audience. Perhaps if I knew, I could understand his choice of words more.
I think "Strength of a Thousand" was a very smart translation.
Now I'm curious how YOU would translate it! hehehe~ :twisted:

This is a tough one to translate to an audience who most likely do not have background knowledge of where the expression originates from.
I'd maybe translate it as "Herculean Fighter".
The word herculean draws on the common legendary connection and implies about the same meaning.
...but then, it sounds silly. :lol:
I can't top Strength of a Thousand.